Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recommend a Good True Adventure Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Recommend a Good True Adventure Book?

I have read a number of true adventure books that appear on the lists put forth by National Geographic and Outside magazine. Can anyone suggest a true adventure book that they really liked? Thanks.

c.d.

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    I have read a number of true adventure books that appear on the lists put forth by National Geographic and Outside magazine. Can anyone suggest a true adventure book that they really liked? Thanks.

c.d.
    Hi c.d.,
    Not entirely sure what you mean by "Adventure", but if it is thrilling books that just happen to be true, then I can heartily recommend the following two titles, both written my Ben MacIntyre.

"Operation Mincemeat" is the true story of "the man who never was".
    It tells the story of the plan to have a dead body washed up in Spain carrying fake plans for the Allies invasion of Europe.

It's a great read, and Macintyre tells the story superbly.

The other title is "A Spy Among Friends".
    it tells the story of Kim Philby and his spy work on behalf of Russia.

It shines a light on the old boy network and class system that let philby climb the ladder of British Intelligence with little or no hindreance.

I atach Amazon links for both books which will let you check out the reviews of others.

Comment

Any competent book about Shackleton's Endurance expedition or the Mutiny on the Bounty - or rather, Bligh and his men AFTER the mutiny.

Comment

I never tire of recommending all eight volumes of The Amazing Adventures Of Captain Gladys Stoatpamphlet And Her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Among The Giant Pygmies Of Beccles. A true classic.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Any competent book about Shackleton's Endurance expedition or the Mutiny on the Bounty - or rather, Bligh and his men AFTER the mutiny.
          Roland Huntford's Scott and Amundsen, with its alternating chapters on the Norwegian and British South Pole expeditions is one of my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            I never tire of recommending all eight volumes of The Amazing Adventures Of Captain Gladys Stoatpamphlet And Her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Among The Giant Pygmies Of Beccles. A true classic.
            A ripping yarn if ever there was one.

Comment

As a true Sherlockian I can do no better than recommend on behalf of Dr Watson any of Clarke Russell's fine sea stories

Comment

I came in here specifically to recommend this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endurance-S.../dp/0753809877

Boy's own stuff. You won't read any better adventure book imo.

Comment

I just finished reading the rough riders by teddy Roosevelt.

Highly recommended.

Also, in the heart of the sea, aka the true account of the whale ship Essex is amazing. This true story of the adventure/tragedy of the captain and crew of Boston whalers was the inspiration for moby dick.
                  Last edited by Abby Normal; 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM.
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I saw a programme on TV a few years ago. I don't know the names - I turned on in the middle - and I don't even know if a book's been written about it. I think it was about two mountaineers. IIRC, one of them fell, and the other one couldn't find him. The first one made it back to camp. The one who fell had a series of mishaps, having to climb out of a crevasse, all kinds of problems. In the end he got back to camp half-dead. I was amazed at his sheer courage and determination. This was something which seems to have happened within the last few years, so a modern story. That's all I can recall, I'm afraid.

Comment

I saw a programme on TV a few years ago. I don't know the names - I turned on in the middle - and I don't even know if a book's been written about it. I think it was about two mountaineers. IIRC, one of them fell, and the other one couldn't find him. The first one made it back to camp. The one who fell had a series of mishaps, having to climb out of a crevasse, all kinds of problems. In the end he got back to camp half-dead. I was amazed at his sheer courage and determination. This was something which seems to have happened within the last few years, so a modern story. That's all I can recall, I'm afraid.
                      That sounds like "Touching the Void"

I've only seen the film, but it's an extraordinary tale of endurance and sheer determination, and is based on the book by one of the chaps;

And on the subject of mountaineering, I have to put in a word for "The Ascent of Rum Doodle". It is a pleasure and a privilege to associate oneself with this account of the ascent of the world's highest mountain. Every schoolboy should read it twice, and so should everybody who honours courage and enterprise.

This short 1956 parody novel by WE Bowman is of the most celebrated books of mountaineering literature.

Comment

Thanks very much Joshua!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who offered a suggestion. Much appreciated.

So many books so little time.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            Thanks to everyone who offered a suggestion. Much appreciated.

So many books so little time.

c.d.
                            In the immortal words of Tom Waits "You must be reading my mail".

Comment

What about Barn Flat Wyngarde? That sounds like quite an adventure.

Comment

Working...
                              X