Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recommend a Good True Adventure Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Thanks to everyone who offered a suggestion. Much appreciated.

So many books so little time.

c.d.
    My suggestion is Kon-Tiki, possibly the first true adventure book I ever read, and certainly the one that stuck with me the longest.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      What about Barn Flat Wyngarde? That sounds like quite an adventure.
      Yeah it was a hell of an adventure.

Pity about the really sad ending.

Comment

I liked Hungerford's books (his one on Shackleton is a good one too). Haven't read his book on Nansen though.

Any account of Sir Douglas Mawson's struggle to survive alone in the Antarctic after both his companions died on a journey in 1917 or so is really worth reading.

Recently I read an account of the career of Col. Percy Fawcett in the Amazon jungles where he eventually disappeared with his son and a friend of the son's in 1928 is good. I think the title was "The Lost City of "Z"" about Fawcett's quest to prove a lost civilization existed inside the jungles he explored.

I suspect Lindbergh's accounts of his transAtlantic flight of 1927 ("We" and "The Spirit of St. Louis") are worth reading - the latter won a Pulitzer Prize. Similarly T. E. Lawrence's "Revolt in the Desert" and "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" are well worth getting into.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          My suggestion is Kon-Tiki, possibly the first true adventure book I ever read, and certainly the one that stuck with me the longest.
          Thanks, Pat. Read it and agree it is a great book.

c.d.

Comment

I finally settled on "Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" by Erik Larson. Good reviews and I really enjoyed "Devil in the White City." Not a true adventure book but should be a page turner.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
            X