Paranormal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    For those who believe in such experiences (and I have an open mind), they need to clarify what they mean by 'ghost' - e.g. there's a difference between 'tuning in' to some deceased person's 'vibrations' and actually seeing a spirit who is still alive in another dimension, or however they want to phrase it.
    Noted, and a good point. I have an open mind, too. But, well, that's why this sort of thing is "paranormal", right? It includes everything from hearing strange noises at night to getting a "bad feeling" (to quote Luke Skywalker) about something, to seeing a figure, to the far more extreme end of the scale like violent interactions with apparitions.

My friend always said she did not know the librarian had died there, as it was years ago. She said the lady seemed as solid as anyone, but did not respond in any way if you spoke to her. Maybe just a residual "re-run" of things that had happened in the past? Still paranormal, I think.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Hi, Abby,

Actually, "Christ crucified" is a fairly common expression among some Protestant and Fundamentalist Christian groups. I have heard it before, and I think they are putting the emphasis on the death and sacrifice of Jesus. Catholics, and other mainstream churches, are more likely to emphasize the resurrection, perhaps.

Found this on the web:
      http://www.ccf-nyc.com/
      What she said. I can readily see how if you're not a Christian, or haven't been exposed to a lot of Christians, that might look negative or wrong, but really it's an expression of Christ's humility, and love for humanity. The central idea of Christianity is that Christ chose to die, horribly, for the sake of all humanity, when he could have chosen otherwise.
      Last edited by Ginger; 03-14-2018, 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
      - Ginger

Comment

It is odd how so many Christians seem to glorify the passion play and death more then the "resurrection" itself....and before the Christians jump all over me.. I said MANY.. not ALL... if you truly take offence to my statement stop and ask yourself which camp you are in!!

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi Stead

Speaking as an agnostic, I've always been a bit puzzled by the emphasis on the resurrection. I thought good deeds were their own reward. Admittedly, though, it is a bit off-putting. The late comedian Dave Allen had a line about turning up for his first day at a church school. "When the door was opened the first thing I saw was a bloke nailed up on the wall."

Comment

It used to bother me a bit because I never thought it made sense. I wondered if the rest of the sentence had been painted over at some time in the past, despite the conditions of the lease, or by the church itself.
            One thing puzzled me, the boss was as sharp as they come. Yet with Ferkins and Frank among his staff, he moved in next to a pub. The Anchor. I was dragooned very early on. I remember Frank telling the landlord's wife my pint should be on the house as it was my birthday.
            She said of course and asked how old I was. Like the idiot I am I told her the truth, 18. She pointed at me and said "you've been drinking in here for the last two years!"
            The Anchor eventually closed. Almost certainly because we moved again. It became the Livingstone Dance Academy, itself featured in a local newspaper because of alleged poltergeist activity.
            All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              It is odd how so many Christians seem to glorify the passion play and death more then the "resurrection" itself....and before the Christians jump all over me.. I said MANY.. not ALL... if you truly take offence to my statement stop and ask yourself which camp you are in!!

Steadmund Brand
              All too true.

But there are a lot of similar issues with some churches (not all of whom are christians) the ceremony takes presedence over the thing being observed.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

well I guess Jesus's death and resurrection is the ultimate "paranormal" experience.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Noted, and a good point. I have an open mind, too. But, well, that's why this sort of thing is "paranormal", right? It includes everything from hearing strange noises at night to getting a "bad feeling" (to quote Luke Skywalker) about something, to seeing a figure, to the far more extreme end of the scale like violent interactions with apparitions.

My friend always said she did not know the librarian had died there, as it was years ago. She said the lady seemed as solid as anyone, but did not respond in any way if you spoke to her. Maybe just a residual "re-run" of things that had happened in the past? Still paranormal, I think.
                  Hi pc
                  I love old libraries! Worked in one but never saw a ghost but I can see how it’s a repository of old images. I’ve heard a lot of stories about the rerun or imprinted type ghost. Fascinating.

I’d be remiss however if I didn’t point out that the actual ghost sighting it always
                  seems to be a friend. No one yet posted has actually said they’ve seen one.... yet.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    I’d be remiss however if I didn’t point out that the actual ghost sighting it always
                    seems to be a friend. No one yet posted has actually said they’ve seen one.... yet.
                    I told my only ghost story back in your thread about ghosts, several years ago.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                      I told my only ghost story back in your thread about ghosts, several years ago.
                      I can’t find it. Tell it again.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I've heard a few FOAF stories it's my belief they are sometimes personal experiences displaced to a third person for fear of ridicule, so I would never disregard them.
                        My ex wife said she saw a ghost. She was going to school at night for a school play and said as she approached the school she first saw what looked like a torch light playing along a corridor.
                        As she got nearer she said it looked like a nun walking along the corridor (she's Irish) the 'nun' then passed threw what she knew was a door, without opening it, and then disappeared.
                        A lot of these stories end with 'not the kind of person' assurances.
                        She was very definitely not that kind of person.
                        Tell people you are interested in the paranormal and it seems nearly everyone has a story.
                        All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Jeff, I used to hear the ding dong rhyme on a radio programme called Listen With Mother back in the 60s. The rhyme was set to music and it ended something like

"Who ne'er did any harm
                          But killed all the mice in the farmer's barn"
                          Thanks Robert. Those are the last lines of the rhyme, and I did hear it sung. Ironically it was taught at Wednesday assembly's in my (American-style) public school where we would sing for an hour led by our teachers (one "conducting", and one playing the piano). The songs usually were patriotic or comic, but some were from Rogers and Hammerstein shows sometimes. Thinking about it and that mentioned bit of board censorship with one word I used twice (as it was originally sung in the song, "p****", I heard it sung without any fuss by my first through six grade teachers from 1959 to 1966). It was assumed to refer (as the notorious "Molly Slocombe" of the well-missed "Are You Being Served?" would have thought) that it referred to a little cat, nothing scandalous. But so it goes. They were also very willing to trot out (as Christmas approached) holiday songs - though they rarely went into religious ones.

Jeff

By the way, I used the asterix marks after the "p" to save time on censorship matters.

Jeff

Comment

Hi, Abby,

Actually, "Christ crucified" is a fairly common expression among some Protestant and Fundamentalist Christian groups. I have heard it before, and I think they are putting the emphasis on the death and sacrifice of Jesus. Catholics, and other mainstream churches, are more likely to emphasize the resurrection, perhaps.

Found this on the web:
                            http://www.ccf-nyc.com/
                            Hi Pc

Not being Christian, I have pondered the matter of how Jesus is presented for religious matters. I have heard the phrase "Christ crucified", and feel it is a reminder that Christ is supposed to have died for the sins of man - it's a reminder to mankind (especially Christians) Jesus sacrificed for their welfare in the coming world. As such it does make sense that it is emphasized rather than the "resurrection" is (not that the latter is ignored - it can't be as it is a reminder of what believers can expect). By emphasizing the sacrifice of Jesus, it also helps explain how the symbol of the religion (the cross) became universally accepted over the original or older symbol for Jesus, the fish.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

We used to sing hymns in our assemblies, plus we had hymn practice once a week. The words of the hymns were on a large folder of hymns which hung on the wall, with today's hymn turned to the front. I remember that when it came to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" the verse with 'offspring of a virgin's womb' was always omitted. A red cross had been drawn through it on the hymn sheet, but anyone could read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                Hi pc
                                I love old libraries! Worked in one but never saw a ghost but I can see how it’s a repository of old images. I’ve heard a lot of stories about the rerun or imprinted type ghost. Fascinating.

Hi, Abby,

Well, I wish I could give you a first-hand account of seeing a ghost, but it hasn't happened for me. I do think my mom's spirit visited the house in the story I posted earlier, but I didn't actually see anything. (Oddly, I hear things more than see them.)

My friend told me last night that she saw the librarian on at least three occasions, and on two of them, others did as well. The rash of sightings seemed to be connected to the construction on the new wing, because afterwards "Mrs. M." wasn't seen again.
                                Last edited by Pcdunn; 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM.
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X