Paranormal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Never got a dream tip on the races (some tip - the horse got scratched). Years ago I was at Aqueduct with my sister and future brother-in-law, and I made a bet on a horse named "Troopship". Reason? - it was the 7th of May, and that is the anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania (which technically was not being used as a troopship, but the similarity of it and the horse's name struck me as intriguing).

But on one occasion about four years back, I was sleeping and I thought there was a conversation at the foot of my bed between my father (who died in 1991) and an old family friend named Phyllis Brownstein (who died in 1980). Of course here it is usual to talk about what they said, but while sometimes I clearly hear talking speech in my dreams and recall it, this time I have no idea or recollection of what the conversation was about. Yet I did think their presence was at the edge of my bed.

We had not been in touch with the Brownstein family for many years since Phyllis' untimely death from cancer (she was in her early fifties). But a few days back last week, I discovered that her husband Joe apparently died at or about that time. I can't be exact because I don't recall the date of the "visitation". Which is why I must say this incident is unproven.

Jeff
    Interesting. Another bed encounter. Thanks for sharing.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

First of all Abby, you gave no parameters as to how you wanted people to respond to your thread so I fail to see how I could have possibly "derailed" it as you claim.

I made no comment about you personally so I fail to see why you have your panties in a bunch.

I did not discount your experience but simply pointed out that knowing a place has had prior claims of the paranormal connected to it can influence what someone experiences there.

I gave two examples of dealing with paranormal claims. The first simply reiterated how having preconceived ideas about the paranormal can affect what people think they experience. The second example simply reinforced the idea of getting all the facts before jumping to a conclusion.

I made no statement to the effect that all paranormal claims are B.S.

As to apologizing "for once", please give me an example of my previous behavior which required an apology.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        First of all Abby, you gave no parameters as to how you wanted people to respond to your thread so I fail to see how I could have possibly "derailed" it as you claim.

I made no comment about you personally so I fail to see why you have your panties in a bunch.

I did not discount your experience but simply pointed out that knowing a place has had prior claims of the paranormal connected to it can influence what someone experiences there.

I gave two examples of dealing with paranormal claims. The first simply reiterated how having preconceived ideas about the paranormal can affect what people think they experience. The second example simply reinforced the idea of getting all the facts before jumping to a conclusion.

I made no statement to the effect that all paranormal claims are B.S.

As to apologizing "for once", please give me an example of my previous behavior which required an apology.

c.d.

Um what “parameter”of share your paranormal experience didn’t you understand?
        Instead to long posts with links no less basically saying it’s BS.

Did you consider for a second that it might discourage people from posting?

It’s a dick move and instead of just admitting your mistake your just doubling down.

Forget it. I’m not wasting any more time with you. So I’ll just say off topic to you, which your posts are.

So feel free to start a thread on your own and bugger off.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Well I seem to be the latest in a long line of posters on Casebook with whom you have an issue. Why I don't know. Maybe you need to double up on your meds or perhaps think about leaving Casebook and developing an interest in some other area such as poetry perhaps.

And you can bugger off too.

c.d.

Comment

Older than that, I think

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            I'm not trying to knock it, but I seem to recall a child's rhyme I heard back in the late 1950s.

"Ding-Dong Bell,
            *****'s in the well.
            Who put him in?
            Little Johnny Thin.
            Who'll pull him out?
            Little Johnny Stout.
            What a bad boy was that to drown poor ***** cat!!...."

I'm sorry, I can't recall the last two lines, dealing with something in "his father's barn".

Jeff

Now that I've seen the two examples's of censorship here, next time instead of the "p" word I'll write "kitten"!
            I remember that rhyme too, and I was born in the mid-Fifties. My mother was born in 1920, and I wouldn't be surprised if her imaginary elf friend was inspired by an illustrated storybook. She grew up to be an artist, so had a very strong imagination!
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Hoping Abby won't bite my head off on this thread...

My late father always said he was very sceptical but then came out with some quite scary stories he believed were true.

One concerned his own father - my grandfather, who died in 1962 - who once dabbled with a ouija board with some relations of his. They asked when a female relation [absent] would be married, and the board kept spelling out the word M-O-U-L-D-Y, which didn't make much sense at the time. But later the female relation, who had got engaged, dropped dead before her wedding day.

My grandfather used to bet a lot on horses and greyhounds and apparently lost the money his future in-laws had given him towards his own nuptials! He did win quite a bit at other times, and was quite wealthy when he died.

My Dad used to tell me a story about a dream he had, advising him to bet on a certain horse which was due to run in the 5th race at 5 o'clock on 5th May. It came in 5th.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

When I started work, it was in an old Methodist church my company had leased. I remember the words 'We Preach Christ Crucified' over an archway to the main stores.
                The ghost stories were so much winding up of the new kid I thought. One woman told me she saw a driver who seemed curious about the building, wandering around. Long story short, he claimed to be a medium and said there the ghosts of an old woman and a little girl together.
                Then there was Ferkins, a man who used to edge past a large puddle on the forecourt claiming it was alligator infested.
                He once threw a brush at me as I was putting stock away. Not seeing anyone around I fled.
                He should have known better. I owed the job to a cruel prank played on the previous stores kid.. Tied to the rails of the upstairs pulpit and left alone in the dark ' for a laugh'. He actually went into hysterics and had to be sent home. He left not long afterwards.
                That was interesting in as much I had found going upstairs an unsettling feeling for some time before I heard about the previous lad. Never heard or saw anything. Just a very strong feeling that I didn't want to be up there.
                As for the ghost stories. A manager remembered working over on his own in the office. He locked the entrance door and said he very clearly heard footsteps outside in the stores. He didn't think too much of it, assuming it was our driver Frank who had come back and had his own key.
                After a while, not seeing Frank he grew curious, so went out into the stores. Nobody around. He checked the entrance door, still locked.
                After a while Frank actually returned. He was asked if he had come back and gone out again. He said no.
                We moved out and it became a tyre depot. A woman had a relative working there who said he could give a discount on tyres for her car.
                Whilst settling the bill, she jokingly asked if anyone had seen the ghost yet. Her relative said a lad had come running out of the stores claiming to have seen a woman. He didn't seem to be joking.
                Second hand stories, make of it what you will.
                All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Hoping Abby won't bite my head off on this thread...

My late father always said he was very sceptical but then came out with some quite scary stories he believed were true.

One concerned his own father - my grandfather, who died in 1962 - who once dabbled with a ouija board with some relations of his. They asked when a female relation [absent] would be married, and the board kept spelling out the word M-O-U-L-D-Y, which didn't make much sense at the time. But later the female relation, who had got engaged, dropped dead before her wedding day.

My grandfather used to bet a lot on horses and greyhounds and apparently lost the money his future in-laws had given him towards his own nuptials! He did win quite a bit at other times, and was quite wealthy when he died.

My Dad used to tell me a story about a dream he had, advising him to bet on a certain horse which was due to run in the 5th race at 5 o'clock on 5th May. It came in 5th.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Hi caz. Thanks for sharing! Another bed/ dream story and another one about betting!!!??

The ouija board experience is interesting because we did had a lot of scary fun with it as kids and that dam thing would move when we all swore we weren’t doing it on purpose.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                    When I started work, it was in an old Methodist church my company had leased. I remember the words 'We Preach Christ Crucified' over an archway to the main stores.
                    The ghost stories were so much winding up of the new kid I thought. One woman told me she saw a driver who seemed curious about the building, wandering around. Long story short, he claimed to be a medium and said there the ghosts of an old woman and a little girl together.
                    Then there was Ferkins, a man who used to edge past a large puddle on the forecourt claiming it was alligator infested.
                    He once threw a brush at me as I was putting stock away. Not seeing anyone around I fled.
                    He should have known better. I owed the job to a cruel prank played on the previous stores kid.. Tied to the rails of the upstairs pulpit and left alone in the dark ' for a laugh'. He actually went into hysterics and had to be sent home. He left not long afterwards.
                    That was interesting in as much I had found going upstairs an unsettling feeling for some time before I heard about the previous lad. Never heard or saw anything. Just a very strong feeling that I didn't want to be up there.
                    As for the ghost stories. A manager remembered working over on his own in the office. He locked the entrance door and said he very clearly heard footsteps outside in the stores. He didn't think too much of it, assuming it was our driver Frank who had come back and had his own key.
                    After a while, not seeing Frank he grew curious, so went out into the stores. Nobody around. He checked the entrance door, still locked.
                    After a while Frank actually returned. He was asked if he had come back and gone out again. He said no.
                    We moved out and it became a tyre depot. A woman had a relative working there who said he could give a discount on tyres for her car.
                    Whilst settling the bill, she jokingly asked if anyone had seen the ghost yet. Her relative said a lad had come running out of the stores claiming to have seen a woman. He didn't seem to be joking.
                    All the best.
                    Hi Martin. Creepy.
                    Like I said about the amity house. Call it what you will-haunted, bad vibes, bad luck? But some places seem to have it.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                      All the best.
                      Hi Martin
                      I just noticed something odd about the building. The church saying we preach Christ crucified is a strange and really negative motto. Also strangely authoritarian. You would think it would be something more along the lines of we preach Christ reborn. It makes me wonder about the history of that church and what happened there before it ended.

Have you ever tried to look into it’s history?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Jeff, I used to hear the ding dong rhyme on a radio programme called Listen With Mother back in the 60s. The rhyme was set to music and it ended something like

"Who ne'er did any harm
                        But killed all the mice in the farmer's barn"

Comment

Speaking of workplace ghosts, my best friend went to work as a teen at the small town library where her mother was a librarian. She recounted a story of once seeing a woman going into a small staff area, so she went in to see if the lady needed help. No one was there, and there was no second way out of the room. She said she saw this same woman a few other tImes around the library.

Later, she saw a photograph of the mysterious woman, and pointed her out. My friend said her mother gave her a strange look and identified the woman in the photo as the previous Head Librarian, who apparently had died in her office at the library!

My friend also said that after they moved into a newer library building, the deceased librarian was not seen again, so I guess the ghost either moved on, or stayed to haunt her former workplace.
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

For those who believe in such experiences (and I have an open mind), they need to clarify what they mean by 'ghost' - e.g. there's a difference between 'tuning in' to some deceased person's 'vibrations' and actually seeing a spirit who is still alive in another dimension, or however they want to phrase it.

Comment

Hi Abby.

I did a little bit of research. A member of a local ghost society informed me that the remains of a male child were discovered by road workmen just outside the building.
                              I also believe it may have been the location where stalls set up for the congregation collapsed, some people were injured but no deaths.
                              It was mostly left untouched with original features, I remember a driver offering the boss a substantial sum of money for the oak doors that led to the back of the building, but the boss said it was a condition of the lease that it was left as it was.
                              The back of the building was always cold, whatever the weather. A set of stairs led up to the pulpit area and were inset so that you could only see the first few steps.
                              The pulpit area had benches, I always assumed for a choir or something. Which is where we put the slow moving stock, so I didn't have to go up too often.
                              It should have been the ideal place to have five minutes with a cuppa, but it's impossible to describe the feeling unless you had experienced it yourself. Even in the brightest sunlight I didn't like it.
                              Come winter under not that great lighting, no chance. I got a rollicking for not filling a late order that required going up there.
                              It should be said that the previously mentioned Ferkins and Frank the driver were complete idiots, and whilst the creepy feeling was undeniable, my memories are of mostly being doubled up with laughter all the time.
                              All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                Hi Martin
                                I just noticed something odd about the building. The church saying we preach Christ crucified is a strange and really negative motto. Also strangely authoritarian. You would think it would be something more along the lines of we preach Christ reborn. It makes me wonder about the history of that church and what happened there before it ended.

Have you ever tried to look into it’s history?
                                Hi, Abby,

Actually, "Christ crucified" is a fairly common expression among some Protestant and Fundamentalist Christian groups. I have heard it before, and I think they are putting the emphasis on the death and sacrifice of Jesus. Catholics, and other mainstream churches, are more likely to emphasize the resurrection, perhaps.

Found this on the web:
                                This website is for sale! ccf-nyc.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ccf-nyc.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                                ---------------
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X