Paranormal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranormal experience

The Amityville Horror on the hoax thread got me thinking abou this stuff so wanted to start a new thread. Please share any paranormal experience, ghosts etc you have had here.

While I have never seen a ghost and remain skeptical, I do lean toward life after death and a "spiritual" realm, and also have known several very credible and sane people who have claimed to see a ghost.

The closest Ive ever come is when I visited Governers Bridge outside of Annapolis, MD when I was a teen.

The legend at the time was that it was meeting place for runaway slaves back in the day and that several had been caught there and hung from the bridge and nearby tree.

me and a friend drove out there in the middle of the night. We parked and walked out on the bridge. It was very creepy and I was actually pretty scared. We saw a campfire by the creek down below the bridge and heard strange voices talking. We couldn't make out what they were saying but they had strange accents is all we could hear. My friend yelled out to them and the light immediately went out and the voices stopped. we got the hell out of there right quick. as we were driving back over the bridge as we left we both saw a noose hanging from the bridge that we hadn't noticed before.
    Later when friends talked about going there I declined.

now nothing earth shattering and all can be easily explained without paranormal but still.

please share your experience if any.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Nothing like a spooky bridge story!

I have a strange story that happened several years ago, and will write it down for you when I'm not at work.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Nothing like a spooky bridge story!

I have a strange story that happened several years ago, and will write it down for you when I'm not at work.
      Cool. Looking forward to it

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby,

I think the key phrase in your narrative is "the legend at the time" which would suggest that you were aware of it and thus your experience reflected that.

A senior investigator from I think it was Skeptic Magazine investigated a resort where a number of the staff had seen what they believed to be ghosts and other seemingly paranormal goings on. His investigation showed that the staff who had seen ghosts believed in ghosts and those staff who didn't believe in ghosts never saw any. Draw your own conclusions.

c.d.

Comment

Apparently this house was investigated by a senior investigator and again I think it may have been Skeptic Magazine. He started by speaking with the previous owner of the house who had lived there for many years. The previous owner told him that he had never experienced anything out of the ordinary. He also found out that the woman who was the current owner had been investigated by Child Protective Services as she had children who had missed a great deal of school. Apparently she used the excuse of her children being traumatized by demons as an excuse for them missing school rather than being a piss poor Mother. Also, the investigator discovered that a number of claims that were made by the children always seemed to happen when no adults were around and could not be verified in any way. His ultimate conclusion was that the whole thing was B.S.

c.d.

Comment

Cd
            For ****s sake.

I didn’t see anything so I don’t know how the legend reflected my experiences.

Also, I’ve asked people to share their experiences not go off topic and post how it’s all bullshit.

Thanks for derailing

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

My story: Why did the stuffed snowman move?

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Cool. Looking forward to it
              My mother was living in another state, when I had to go back for a long visit to help her after an illness. My brother also came up to help at one point. I went back in November, and my mom passed away in early January of the following year.

Well, by the following fall, we moved from our apartment building to a duplex in another neighborhood. It had a great backyard, lots of landscaping, and no stairs! We had fun decorating it for the holiday season, and shooing our cats away from the Christmas tree. My young cat seemed to love to climb into the tree and grab at ornaments.

One night in mid-December, I had noticed a stuffed snowman decoration sitting up behind our table. It was dressed as an elf, and had bells on its toes. I had picked it up and looked at it, before putting it back in its place.
              Much later, I went to bed. My companion had gone to work on the third shift, and only the cats were with me. As I was trying to fall asleep, I heard bells jingling. I thought my cat was messing in the tree, so I sat up and shouted at her, then noticed she was in my room, staring out at the hallway. The older cat was in there too, sleeping on the cat-tree.
              I listened, called out again, and the jingling stopped abruptly. Eventually I went to sleep.
              The next day, when I came into the kitchen, that snowman elf with the bells on its toes was sitting upright in a cat bed, on the bench by the table, at the other side of where it had been last night. My friend returned from work, and asked me why I'd put the snowman there. "I didn't do it," I said, and mentioned what I'd heard the night before. We chalked it up to one of those things you can't explain.
              But two things make me wonder. My mother said she'd had an imaginary friend as a child, an elf named Ding-Dong Bell, who jumped into a wishing well when adults came around. I think she said he wore bells, too.
              And the night this had happened, was my parents' wedding anniversary.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

My mother was living in another state, when I had to go back for a long visit to help her after an illness. My brother also came up to help at one point. I went back in November, and my mom passed away in early January of the following year.

Well, by the following fall, we moved from our apartment building to a duplex in another neighborhood. It had a great backyard, lots of landscaping, and no stairs! We had fun decorating it for the holiday season, and shooing our cats away from the Christmas tree. My young cat seemed to love to climb into the tree and grab at ornaments.

One night in mid-December, I had noticed a stuffed snowman decoration sitting up behind our table. It was dressed as an elf, and had bells on its toes. I had picked it up and looked at it, before putting it back in its place.
                Much later, I went to bed. My companion had gone to work on the third shift, and only the cats were with me. As I was trying to fall asleep, I heard bells jingling. I thought my cat was messing in the tree, so I sat up and shouted at her, then noticed she was in my room, staring out at the hallway. The older cat was in there too, sleeping on the cat-tree.
                I listened, called out again, and the jingling stopped abruptly. Eventually I went to sleep.
                The next day, when I came into the kitchen, that snowman elf with the bells on its toes was sitting upright in a cat bed, on the bench by the table, at the other side of where it had been last night. My friend returned from work, and asked me why I'd put the snowman there. "I didn't do it," I said, and mentioned what I'd heard the night before. We chalked it up to one of those things you can't explain.
                But two things make me wonder. My mother said she'd had an imaginary friend as a child, an elf named Ding-Dong Bell, who jumped into a wishing well when adults came around. I think she said he wore bells, too.
                Hi PC dunn
                Weird. Thanks for sharing.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

My friends mom used to work in downtown Annapolis in an office building in the 70s and saw a ghost while at work. Of course it’s an old city and all the buildings are at least a couple hundred years old. She was bringing a box of old files up to there storage which was in the attic. As she was carrying the box up the stairs she was startled by a siren that went off outside.

Apparently amused at her being startled an old man at the top of the stairs starting laughing at her. She said he was old and looked to be in colonial clothes and that he started to speak to her, asking what could he help her with, what was she doing in his house.

She put the box down on the stair and turned and left. When her coworker who had worked there for a
                  Long time( my friends mom was new) saw her scared and pale expression she laughed and said, oh you must have seen old George.

Apparently he was well known ghost in that building.

She was the sanest woman, boring actually, you could ever meet.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I am one of the worlds great skeptics (but am not opposed to the possibility.. just have never seen anything to convince me).. That being said, I do have one "odd" occurrence...
                    When I was 25 years old I was in bed sleeping and I heard someone open the door to my bedroom, I thought it was my roommate at first (who often came in my room for CD's or Movies at night as he worked 2nd shift and would be up late), but then I felt someone sit on the edge of my bed.. I opened my eyes and saw my grandfather (who died when I wasn't even 2 years old.. I only knew him from pictures) then he spoke... he said " Why are you debating it.. just place the bet" (keep in mind my Grandfather was a huge gambler I have heard..and also a numbers runner... but that is a different story) I was confused and said "what bet, what are you talking about" he shook his head and said " Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie" ( Fort Erie is a Thoroughbred Horse racing track in Fort Erie Canada.. about 20 minutes from where I live in Buffalo NY)..Again... I said " what are you talking about and he smiled and got up and walked out.....and I went back to sleep (or continued sleeping)
                    The next day I woke up (a Saturday) and called my mother to tell her about the dream I had.. and before I did she said "my Father came to see me last night.. and he said you were going to be ok" I laughed and said.. that's funny , I had a dream last night that he came to see me and told me to bet a horse.. she laughed and said, "yep that's my dad"
                    (my mother has claimed he visits her often....but you have to understand... he died very young (in his early 50's) under.. well... suspicious circumstances.. while my mother was only 26 and pregnant with her 3rd child (in fact she went in to labor with my Brother at his funeral), so his death was very hard on her... and understandable that she would project his visitations as a coping method... anyway..)
                    So I told her he told me to bet Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie....and she said hang on let me grab the paper....and sure enough.. in the 5th Race at Fort Erie was a 2 year old horse named Irish woman....odds were like 36/1.. so I said.. well.. that's odd... I think I will go bet it... went up to Fort Erie.. and when it was time for the 5th I went to the window and as I was there I heard the announcement Irish Woman has been scratched (removed from the race)...
                    Now I admit it was odd....but I still chalk it up to coincidence... I probably saw the Fort Erie line up in the paper the day before.. and the name Irish Woman stuck with me in my subconscious (as I have always been attracted to Irish Women)... and in my mind I do associate gambling, especially horse betting with my grandfather... as far as my mother... as I said.. she claims he visits often.....anyway...even if I don't necessarily make any "supernatural" claims.. thought some of you would enjoy that story....it is also the kind of thing I can picture some people using as "proof" when my explanation is just as if not far more logical.

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      I am one of the worlds great skeptics (but am not opposed to the possibility.. just have never seen anything to convince me).. That being said, I do have one "odd" occurrence...
                      When I was 25 years old I was in bed sleeping and I heard someone open the door to my bedroom, I thought it was my roommate at first (who often came in my room for CD's or Movies at night as he worked 2nd shift and would be up late), but then I felt someone sit on the edge of my bed.. I opened my eyes and saw my grandfather (who died when I wasn't even 2 years old.. I only knew him from pictures) then he spoke... he said " Why are you debating it.. just place the bet" (keep in mind my Grandfather was a huge gambler I have heard..and also a numbers runner... but that is a different story) I was confused and said "what bet, what are you talking about" he shook his head and said " Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie" ( Fort Erie is a Thoroughbred Horse racing track in Fort Erie Canada.. about 20 minutes from where I live in Buffalo NY)..Again... I said " what are you talking about and he smiled and got up and walked out.....and I went back to sleep (or continued sleeping)
                      The next day I woke up (a Saturday) and called my mother to tell her about the dream I had.. and before I did she said "my Father came to see me last night.. and he said you were going to be ok" I laughed and said.. that's funny , I had a dream last night that he came to see me and told me to bet a horse.. she laughed and said, "yep that's my dad"
                      (my mother has claimed he visits her often....but you have to understand... he died very young (in his early 50's) under.. well... suspicious circumstances.. while my mother was only 26 and pregnant with her 3rd child (in fact she went in to labor with my Brother at his funeral), so his death was very hard on her... and understandable that she would project his visitations as a coping method... anyway..)
                      So I told her he told me to bet Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie....and she said hang on let me grab the paper....and sure enough.. in the 5th Race at Fort Erie was a 2 year old horse named Irish woman....odds were like 36/1.. so I said.. well.. that's odd... I think I will go bet it... went up to Fort Erie.. and when it was time for the 5th I went to the window and as I was there I heard the announcement Irish Woman has been scratched (removed from the race)...
                      Now I admit it was odd....but I still chalk it up to coincidence... I probably saw the Fort Erie line up in the paper the day before.. and the name Irish Woman stuck with me in my subconscious (as I have always been attracted to Irish Women)... and in my mind I do associate gambling, especially horse betting with my grandfather... as far as my mother... as I said.. she claims he visits often.....anyway...even if I don't necessarily make any "supernatural" claims.. thought some of you would enjoy that story....it is also the kind of thing I can picture some people using as "proof" when my explanation is just as if not far more logical.

Steadmund Brand
                      Hi Stead
                      awesome story.

My dad died from cancer when I was in my twenties and I have the most vivid dreams of him. In them hes always beat the cancer and theres a sense of wonderment of how healthy he is and that hes kicked it. very vivid dreams but no question that they were only dreams.

I dont remember if my Mom ever said shed seen him again and unfortunately she has no memeory and does not even remember him any more. Im going to ask her though anyway next time i visit.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Cd
                        For ****s sake.

I didn’t see anything so I don’t know how the legend reflected my experiences.

Also, I’ve asked people to share their experiences not go off topic and post how it’s all bullshit.

Thanks for derailing
                        Lighten up, dude. Seriously.

c.d.

Comment

I'm not trying to knock it, but I seem to recall a child's rhyme I heard back in the late 1950s.

"Ding-Dong Bell,
                          *****'s in the well.
                          Who put him in?
                          Little Johnny Thin.
                          Who'll pull him out?
                          Little Johnny Stout.
                          What a bad boy was that to drown poor ***** cat!!...."

I'm sorry, I can't recall the last two lines, dealing with something in "his father's barn".

Jeff

Now that I've seen the two examples's of censorship here, next time instead of the "p" word I'll write "kitten"!
                          Last edited by Mayerling; 03-13-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

Steadmund Brand
                            Never got a dream tip on the races (some tip - the horse got scratched). Years ago I was at Aqueduct with my sister and future brother-in-law, and I made a bet on a horse named "Troopship". Reason? - it was the 7th of May, and that is the anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania (which technically was not being used as a troopship, but the similarity of it and the horse's name struck me as intriguing).

But on one occasion about four years back, I was sleeping and I thought there was a conversation at the foot of my bed between my father (who died in 1991) and an old family friend named Phyllis Brownstein (who died in 1980). Of course here it is usual to talk about what they said, but while sometimes I clearly hear talking speech in my dreams and recall it, this time I have no idea or recollection of what the conversation was about. Yet I did think their presence was at the edge of my bed.

We had not been in touch with the Brownstein family for many years since Phyllis' untimely death from cancer (she was in her early fifties). But a few days back last week, I discovered that her husband Joe apparently died at or about that time. I can't be exact because I don't recall the date of the "visitation". Which is why I must say this incident is unproven.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Lighten up, dude. Seriously.

c.d.
                              You lighten up. dude. Seriously. Like when the importance of your own idea seems far more important to you to express it than what a thread is actually about.

And get a little humbleness cd. Like being able to be man enough to admit your mistake and apologize for once.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                              X