X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On tenterhooks.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
      It is looking for a needle in a haystack. My approach is looking to see what is plausible in her story [ so far most of it is] and just hoping some connections may start to make sense. MK may not have been her real name but if her story is more or less true give or take a few porkies, a pattern may immerge.

Miss Marple
      Sorry this is a bit unrelated, but the thing about her story, if Barnett was right: how can a married 16 year old Catholic girl can manage not getting pregnant for two years?
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
        Sorry this is a bit unrelated, but the thing about her story, if Barnett was right: how can a married 16 year old Catholic girl can manage not getting pregnant for two years?
        Were all waiting here, Sir john. Give us the punchline.

c.d.

Comment

I have just spent ages writing up this thread and as I sent it I was logged off and my post vanished into the ether. Why does this happen? Is there no way of saving replies. I have wasted so much time this way. Cant write this up again. It takes too long, a waste of time. URRRRGGGG!!!

Miss Marple

Comment

That has happened to me a few times.
            As a result,I keep my replies short.
            Best of Luck!
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
              I have just spent ages writing up this thread and as I sent it I was logged off and my post vanished into the ether. Why does this happen? Is there no way of saving replies. I have wasted so much time this way. Cant write this up again. It takes too long, a waste of time. URRRRGGGG!!!

Miss Marple
              Years and years ago, after having the same happen to me a few times, I learnt that if i was going to make a long post, longer than say about 40 words, I'd use the text editor that comes with the operating system and type up my post into the text editor first, saving it regularly as well. When I was done I'd copy the whole thing and then paste it into the forum's box for posts.

If you're on Windows then use Notepad and save as .txt - it's just plain text with no type of formatting (bold/italic etc). It's been years since I used an Apple Mac and I can't recall what it's program (that's app for the youngsters) is for making .txt files. If you're using Linux, well you'll probably know what text editor to use already.
              If you're using some kind of Android tablet I have no experience with such devices. All I know is Android is built on top of the Linux kernel.

With Windows and Linux text editors it's ctrl+s to save, ctrl+a to select all, ctrl+v to paste, or of course you can use the mouse and find it in the menu, I find keyboard hotkeys work a lot quicker.

Wouldn't you know it - I also back up all my files. Another lesson learnt years and years ago. Making posts in text editors first and back-ups are a PITA but have saved me many a time.

Once you've made this .txt file the first time there's no need to delete it after making your post. Just keep it. It serves as a record of your posts. Just add to it each time you want to make another long post.

This has been Ozzy's tip for the day. You're welcome.
              Last edited by Ozzy; 09-16-2017, 04:47 AM.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                If you're on Windows then use Notepad and save as .txt - it's just plain text with no type of formatting (bold/italic etc). It's been years since I used an Apple Mac and I can't recall what it's program (that's app for the youngsters) is for making .txt files.
                The native Mac equivalent is TextEdit, but you can also get a Notepad app for Mac as well - coincidental name: it's not a clone of Windows notepad, but far better. The shortcuts (ctrl+s for save, etc) are the same as on Windows.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes, type it on your computer first.

It's bloody annoying when it happens - and I should know.

Regards

Darcy Sarto

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                    That has happened to me a few times.
                    As a result,I keep my replies short.
                    Best of Luck!
                    But if you never get a backer for the film/documentary how else will we get to learn of your research into Gawen Sutton?
                    Seriously DJA, I don't want a few (short, as you yourself said) links here and a few hints there in Casebook posts. I'd love to read something like a Ripperologist piece by yourself where you put forward your case. It's got to be better than what I listened to recently, a podcast with an interview of an author saying he believes Conan Doyle did it! I don't know who was scrapping the barrel the most - the author for writing it or me for listening to it.
                    Last edited by Ozzy; 09-16-2017, 05:36 AM.
                    These are not clues, Fred.
                    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                    We will not.

Comment

Working...
                    X