The Curious Case of History vs. James Maybrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    You don't believe Maybrick was the Ripper anymore than I do.
    Hmmm ... I've always thought that you were a closet Maybrickian, Harry. We could draft you in at second base if you like but we're still some way away from a full cricket team ...
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
      I love it!

Shame you aren't a Maybrickian, Andy - we need some solid stock like you Yorkshire lads in our team (when I say 'our team', there's only me and Spyglass and he's been on holiday in Ibiza for about two months).

Personally, I'm from a great deal further north than even you lads which sadly means we're crap at cricket.

And football come to that ...
      Nowt wrong with Scotland Ike...Up there twice a year walking...
      I presumed you were from Scotland with the "crap at football" thingy...Cricket?
      Dunno Yorkshire had a Scot some years ago...Hamilton?..I think...good batsman...

Comment

• Originally posted by andy1867 View Post
        Nowt wrong with Scotland Ike...Up there twice a year walking...
        I presumed you were from Scotland with the "crap at football" thingy...Cricket?
        Dunno Yorkshire had a Scot some years ago...Hamilton?..I think...good batsman...
        Not quite as far as Scotland, even though I married a Scot and would be happy to get the passport if the day ever comes ...
        Iconoclast

Comment

That'll be because there's no sport on (the footy season being over) ...
          We still have cricket, even at Maybrick's old haunt on Riversdale! Then we have tennis, there's some going on at the minute down at Calderstones, IIRC. Also boxing events either up at the Echo arena or the Olympia, or Greenbank, then we have smaller events going on, so there's a fair bit to keep me busy, not that I want to be busy!

Comment

• As for the "Diary"..nah I can't quite get my head to accept it Ike..
            If it was a proper book like thingy...With the front cover sayin'
            "This is the Diary of James Maybrick"...but its a tome with pages torn out isn't it?
            as though someone found an old book and wrote new stuff in it...
            Stop me when I go awry, by all means...
            I watched that Deeming suspect video as well a while ago...Eddowes shawl...
            DNA testing...
            A bloke takes it out of an old shed, in a old dusty cardboard box, ...While wearing "Surgical rubber gloves"..I mean talk about stable doors and horses bolting into the bloody distance..
            Its an industry...If folk make money out of amusing us all with it...thats fair enough...I pay me money , I takes me choice...
            Reading stuff on here has made me more discerning...Thats why I didn't buy Trevor Marriots book...

Comment

• Despite me not being a believer in any Maybrick diary, or him being a suspect, I have always loved (in a weird way) the history of the James/Florence case, and I'm a glutton for local history. I was brought up on such things, and was told about Maybrick at a very early age.

I'm quite looking forward to the Sept. conferences in town, and will be attending any talks on Maybrick. So if anyone's attending, I'll be glad to say "allo."

Comment

As for the "Diary"..nah I can't quite get my head to accept it Ike..
                I have long since accepted that the invitation I got to the party was for the east wing along with old Spyglass and some cold canapes ...

Its an industry...If folk make money out of amusing us all with it...thats fair enough...I pay me money , I takes me choice...
                Reading stuff on here has made me more discerning...Thats why I didn't buy Trevor Marriots book...
                Interestingly enough, despite the fact that Trevor can be seriously illiterate when he comes on here (maybe he's just typing really fast?) and despite the fact that I love citing the fact that he published the very best example of 'FM' I've ever seen (probably not his intention :-)), I did find his 21st Century Investigation a decent read and is probably worth a wee trip to Amazon.

There you go, Mr. Marriott - an endorsement from the great Iconoclast!
                Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
                  Despite me not being a believer in any Maybrick diary, or him being a suspect, I have always loved (in a weird way) the history of the James/Florence case, and I'm a glutton for local history. I was brought up on such things, and was told about Maybrick at a very early age.

I'm quite looking forward to the Sept. conferences in town, and will be attending any talks on Maybrick. So if anyone's attending, I'll be glad to say "allo."
                  Personally, I suspect that I would have to hire you as a bodyguard ...
                  Iconoclast

Comment

I have long since accepted that the invitation I got to the party was for the east wing along with old Spyglass and some cold canapes ...

Interestingly enough, despite the fact that Trevor can be seriously illiterate when he comes on here (maybe he's just typing really fast?) and despite the fact that I love citing the fact that he published the very best example of 'FM' I've ever seen (probably not his intention :-)), I did find his 21st Century Investigation a decent read and is probably worth a wee trip to Amazon.

There you go, Mr. Marriott - an endorsement from the great Iconoclast!
                    Its not Mr Marriots expertise in the field that bothered me Ike to be honest..It was his stubborn resistance to what I thought well presented arguments against his theory on Rippercast, and on here....I got sick of hearing the "Tampon Theory"...and thought it ridiculous that woman armed with numerous devices, would rip her apron and shove it where the sun don't shine..
                    There was little evidence that Feigunwotsit had visited England,
                    There was was one of his lawyers saying he spoke to him in private, and another saying he needed an interpreter...So I didn't buy the book..
                    If such as yourself present it as a decent read...I might well reconsider...
                    but is it a decent read regarding the subject we discuss on here...or is it simply...a decent read?

Comment

• Despite me not being a believer in any Maybrick diary, or him being a suspect, I have always loved (in a weird way) the history of the James/Florence case, and I'm a glutton for local history. I was brought up on such things, and was told about Maybrick at a very early age.
                      I found this book (Death at the Priory: Sex, Love, and Murder in Victorian England by James Ruddick) very interesting. It's about a different case, but has similarities. Perhaps you would like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Priory-...=Ruddick+James.

<< Amazon.com Review: The fatal poisoning of Charles Bravo in 1876 remains a great, unsolved mystery. As James Ruddick shows in this engrossing account, there was no shortage of suspects. Among them were Bravo's wife, Florence, who married the young barrister in part to erase the taint of a recent sexual scandal; Jane Cox, a servant caught spinning a web of lies about what happened the night Bravo died; and James Gully, an esteemed doctor who was also once Florence's lover. "In time, the case passed into the pantheon of English crime, a riddle that drew the interest in speculation of every passing generation," writes Ruddick. It's not hard to see why. Death at the Priory is full of compelling personalities and titillating revelations about what happened behind the closed doors of Victorian England. Ruddick promises something more than a rehash of the established facts: "I discovered the new evidence which has enabled me to expose Charles Bravo's murderer." The author ultimately does not point his finger in a surprising direction, though he has added substantial details to what's known about the case. Fans of true-crime literature will enjoy this book, especially if they're attracted to its historical setting. --John Miller >>

Comment

• Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post
                        I found this book (Death at the Priory: Sex, Love, and Murder in Victorian England by James Ruddick) very interesting. It's about a different case, but has similarities. Perhaps you would like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Priory-...=Ruddick+James.

<< Amazon.com Review: The fatal poisoning of Charles Bravo in 1876 remains a great, unsolved mystery. As James Ruddick shows in this engrossing account, there was no shortage of suspects. Among them were Bravo's wife, Florence, who married the young barrister in part to erase the taint of a recent sexual scandal; Jane Cox, a servant caught spinning a web of lies about what happened the night Bravo died; and James Gully, an esteemed doctor who was also once Florence's lover. "In time, the case passed into the pantheon of English crime, a riddle that drew the interest in speculation of every passing generation," writes Ruddick. It's not hard to see why. Death at the Priory is full of compelling personalities and titillating revelations about what happened behind the closed doors of Victorian England. Ruddick promises something more than a rehash of the established facts: "I discovered the new evidence which has enabled me to expose Charles Bravo's murderer." The author ultimately does not point his finger in a surprising direction, though he has added substantial details to what's known about the case. Fans of true-crime literature will enjoy this book, especially if they're attracted to its historical setting. --John Miller >>
                        Very interesting, cheers. I actually think there's a chapter on this in a book my father has. I'll have to dig it out and have another look.

Comment

Personally, I suspect that I would have to hire you as a bodyguard ...
                          I'll happily work for a pint of Blue Moon (with added orange slice) and a selection of bar-snacks (preferably pork-scratchings, but I'm also good with cashews and dry-roasted nuts.)

Comment

Its not Mr Marriots expertise in the field that bothered me Ike to be honest..It was his stubborn resistance to what I thought well presented arguments against his theory on Rippercast, and on here....I got sick of hearing the "Tampon Theory"...and thought it ridiculous that woman armed with numerous devices, would rip her apron and shove it where the sun don't shine..
                            There was little evidence that Feigunwotsit had visited England,
                            There was was one of his lawyers saying he spoke to him in private, and another saying he needed an interpreter...So I didn't buy the book..
                            If such as yourself present it as a decent read...I might well reconsider...
                            but is it a decent read regarding the subject we discuss on here...or is it simply...a decent read?
                            It is a decent read, but has little or nothing to contribute to Maybrickology.

A good thing, I hear you all shout!
                            Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
                              I'll happily work for a pint of Blue Moon (with added orange slice) and a selection of bar-snacks (preferably pork-scratchings, but I'm also good with cashews and dry-roasted nuts.)
                              You can have a pint of McEwan's Scotch (a favourite of mine growing up in barcode city) and a saveloy and pease pudding stotty cake and that's your lot, young man.
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• I have to say, I found the whole Feigenbauhm (couldn't be bothered Googling the name for correct spelling!) angle to be quite unconvincing. Marriot makes some good points about several things, but then I'm at a loss for why he chooses such an odd suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X