Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Jack the Ripper

Whats up everyone,
    There was a new show on the National Geographic channel I watched last night called Finding Jack the Ripper. In it, Trevor Marriott focused in on his prime suspect Carl Feigenbaum. It was a good program to watch I enjoyed hearing his perspective. What did you guys think of it?
    Jordan

I caught it too. And while I'm still not convinced that Feigenbaum is the most likely of suspects, it was definitely refreshing to watch a show that didn't try to push the same tired, old suspects at us. It was fairly entertaining if nothing else. It's too bad that it's so hard to find televisions programs on JTR that are truly unbiased and aren't trying to overplay their hand to convince that they "have the right guy."

btw.. first-time poster here. I've been checking out the boards for about a year and studying the JTR case for about two now. Some of you folks have really amazed me with your insight.

Comment

Welcome to the boards, Raven.

I've posted elsewhere about this particular 'documentary' and its British cousin, so I'll save the redundancy here.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I think it is laughable that Marriot dismisses the pathologist evidence (because it doesn't fit his suspect) and suggests that the organs were removed during the post mortem.

Comment

My observation when watching the show was the first half of it they spent establishing that the killer would have had anatomical knowledge. That is that the removal of organs (such as the uterus) would have been difficult in such a short amount of time. The program even used 3-D computer images to further illustrate this point. But then the last part of the program Detective Marriott seemed to shift his focus to Carl Feigenbaum. I may be wrong but I don't know if this guy fit with their analysis of the killer having anatomical knowledge. To me it seems Feigenbaum was a low-life sailor not someone who would have had the skill set they described. But I enjoyed watching the show and hearing this perspective none the less.
          Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Man Flex View Post
            I think it is laughable that Marriot dismisses the pathologist evidence (because it doesn't fit his suspect) and suggests that the organs were removed during the post mortem.
            Indeed MF

It's what might be called Mad Scientist Syndrome.

Distort the evidence so it fits your theory
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I second the welcome Raven!!

As for the show, I thought it was quite fun...great shots of the sites..thats pretty much all I really look for in most of the TV shows anyway... I mean,lets face it, all shows are going to have to claim "they have the right guy" thats how they get non "Ripper folks" to watch them.. so that I forgive...The History Channel did do a unbiased one a few years back (and by few I mean maybe 10 or so... sorry getting older here) that was quite good. but again, they are hard to find.

Hunter, may I ask, what is the British cousin to this, is it something we in the states missed? And was it any good (judging by the fact that you called it a "documentary" I'm guessing not )

Again, welcome Raven, I'm sure you will love the boards!
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

The question is : does Trevor believe in his own theory ?
                Most of his readers do not, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Man Flex View Post
                  When in the program did he say that about the organs? I must have missed that part because I don't remember that
                  Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
                    When in the program did he say that about the organs? I must have missed that part because I don't remember that
                    Jordan
                    Hi CC,

I can't remember what Trevor said on the program, but if I remember rightly, he suggested it in his book and on the podcast he did?

The way Mad flex worded it doesn't actually say he said it in the program, although that may have been a mistake???

regards,
                    If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

I wasn't refrencing his book in this thread. I thought he was posting about the TV program if he wasn't then I apologize
                      Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        Hunter, may I ask, what is the British cousin to this, is it something we in the states missed? And was it any good (judging by the fact that you called it a "documentary" I'm guessing not )
                        Basically, the same program aired in the UK a couple of months back called "Jack the Ripper- The German Connection". The American version had some different sequences but the same people and an American narrator. It can be found on Youtube.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Thanks Hunter, I'll check that out....American narrator eh... how do I get that gig... I am told that I have an amzing voice... for a yankee
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
                            I wasn't refrencing his book in this thread. I thought he was posting about the TV program if he wasn't then I apologize
                            Jordan
                            No need to apologise friend,

Regards,
                            If I have seen further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Indeed MF

It's what might be called Mad Scientist Syndrome.

Distort the evidence so it fits your theory
                              And from an Ex Detective too Stephen.

Shameful.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X