No announcement yet.

What book should I get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went into town today and popped into a charity shop. I came across Rumbelow's revised 'complete Jack the Ripper'. I believe it came out last year?

In mint condition, looked like I had just got it from WH Smith or Waterstones. 50p, what a steal

Comment

New to the site and wondered if I could get a bit of advice about which book to read first. I've got most of the ones mentioned in the original post.

Which book would be a good starting point before moving onto the likes of the Sourcebook etc?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
        New to the site and wondered if I could get a bit of advice about which book to read first. I've got most of the ones mentioned in the original post.

Which book would be a good starting point before moving onto the likes of the Sourcebook etc?

Thanks!
        It depends what you're looking for, I guess. If you've got 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook' and 'Jack the Ripper - The Facts', as your post suggests may be the case, it's a good start.

'Jack the Ripper - Scotland Yard Investigates' is a useful addition as it's written by two of the great authorities in Stewart P. Evans and Donald Rumbelow.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack the Jipper View Post
          CSI came todau Looks quality
          It is. Very readable and beautifully illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack the Jipper View Post
            Hi all,

I have read the following so far:

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper' by Phillip Sugden.
            The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow
            The Jack the Ripper Sourcebook By Keith Skinner & Stewart Evans
            The Maybrick Diary
            The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

The Sugden book and the Sourcebook are my absolute faves.

I have been looking at CSI Whitechapel. It looks very interesting and has got great reviews. I'm just wondering if there are any others that I could consider.
            I'm looking at something a bit different from the ones I have already read as a lot cover the same ground.

Great site, look forward to learning more about this fascinating case.
            Check out Leather Apron, you can read it over at the jtr forums, it's a quick read and real fascinating! http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=19855

Comment

I've read some good things about 'The Bank Holiday Murders', I think that's next on my list.
              I'm currently in the middle of 'The Final Solution'. Although I realise that it's been completely discredited, it is rather an interesting story...

Comment

Hi there Milpool

Depends what else you've read...

Tom's book is excellent, and as I've said before, something completely different....but not really a read for a total novice...I say this not condescendingly, but because there are themes and inferences therein that a beginner might not really totally get...

What've you read so far milpool?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by milpool View Post
                  I've read some good things about 'The Bank Holiday Murders', I think that's next on my list.
                  I'm currently in the middle of 'The Final Solution'. Although I realise that it's been completely discredited, it is rather an interesting story...
                  A good book as long as you have a GOOD grasp of the basics.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Exactly Geoff...well said...much better than I put it...but let's hear what Milpool has read before recommending further reading

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                      Hi,

Welcome to the Casebook site. I have Paul Begg's "The Facts" and it is certainly an excellent book- the first two books I bought on the subject were Begg's and Sugden's.

However, the best book that I have read in recent times is "CSI Whitechapel." It is not only very informative, visually it is by far the best book on the subject that I have read. It contains a wealth of detailed illustration, i.e of the crime scenes, maps and photographs, that really allow you to immerse yourself into the period.

Best wishes,

John
                      Apart from the Bucks Row illustration that shows a street lamp dead oppersite the murder scene...how that wasnt spotted.

But still a good effort.

Comment

I was considering putting the 'The Bank Holiday Murders' on my Christmas wish list, but i need to order a book for a gift too. I think i'll just order both and get the savings on shipping.

Comment

I still think 'The Complete Jack the Ripper A--Z' is a must-have!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                            I must say I took that as a given.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                              Yes, but the more recent edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                Yes, but the more recent edition.
                                Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't only the latest edition titled 'Complete'? I thought the earlier ones were just JTR: A-Z. To be fair, I haven't looked at them since 2010 when the new one came out because that's the only one I use.

But yes, anyone buying A-Z make sure you get the 2010 edition. Which seriously needs a Kindle edition, by the way.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X