Mary Kelly at Salvation Army Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kelly at Salvation Army Meeting

Of course we are taking advantage of this terror, and are doing our utmost to bring the people to repentance. A few are getting saved. It was so sad to hear of the last murdered woman - Kelly - that she was quite recently on a Sunday morning in a lodging house where Capt Walker and her lieutenant were holding a meeting and sang from the same hymn book as the captain. Alas! She did not get saved.
    William Booth, The War Cry
    1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper, Peter Stubley

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QZ87...%201888&f=true

Originally posted by MayBea View Post

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QZ87...%201888&f=true
    Great find. It certainly helps piecing together Mary Kelly's events and timetable leading up to her untimely death

Comment

Originally posted by Maybea
      Correction: Stubley actually says the appeal was made by one of Booth's staff named
      James J. Cook, and published by Booth in The War Cry.
      Originally posted by ceejay75 View Post
      Great find. It certainly helps piecing together Mary Kelly's events and timetable leading up to her untimely death
      Thanks, ceejay. I think it might also help identify the "City Missionary" mentioned in the Mary Kelly press reports.

Could he be James J. Cook or Captain Walker's Lieutenant?
      Last edited by MayBea; 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The likelihood is that Mary Kelly would have been a Roman Catholic, she was certainly given a Roman Catholic funeral. Did she ever visit a priest for confession or attend a service?

Comment

I was a little surprised myself, Rosella, that Mary went to a Salvation Army service on a Sunday morning. But the only Catholic organization she's ever been linked to is the Provenance Row Night Refuge run by nuns.

James J Cooke was also Irish. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0075.html
          James J. Cooke, [was] an Irish officer chosen by General Booth to recommence Salvation Army work islandwide. It was 1892.

Comment

Cooke was, by all accounts, a devout army convert, a hard-working supervisor, and an extremely prolific writer....
            Giving Women: Alliance and Exchange in Victorian Culture By Jill Rappoport

http://books.google.ca/books?id=a4dp...20cook&f=false

Rappoport has 3 or 4 pages on Jack the Ripper and the Slum Sister with Cooke as the source. I don't get a preview of those pages, however.

P.S. The link has a picture of James J Cooke with The Slum Sisters (p. 108).

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
              I was a little surprised myself, Rosella, that Mary went to a Salvation Army service on a Sunday morning. But the only Catholic organization she's ever been linked to is the Provenance Row Night Refuge run by nuns.

James J Cooke was also Irish. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0075.html
              I actually don't fnd it at all surprising that she went to a Salvo's service, they have built themselves on helping the poor I suspect that Mary would have taken assistance off anyone who would offer it.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks for the information regarding James Cooke etc. Very interesting!

It's a bit sad if true that many poor people went to their meetings for the soup and cups of tea offered afterwards. Still, only human nature, I suppose.

I just wish we knew a little more about MJK. Even true name and date of birth would be something.

Comment

G'day Rosella

It's a bit sad if true that many poor people went to their meetings for the soup and cups of tea offered afterwards. Still, only human nature, I suppose.

It still happens I'm afraid.

Even sadder is my Doctor tells me he has patients that only come in because they are lonely and need a chat. [They should join Casebook].
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

hi...what is it that makes this guy think a salvation army worker killed MJK? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-East-End.html

why a woman SA worker and not a male one?

Comment

Anything which helps to see any of the victims in a more human light is to be welcomed.

It is these little human interactions which help us to remember that these women were not the "canonical five", but real people with all the fears, loves and frailties which we all have.

Comment

Because it sounds more dramatic

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                          It is these little human interactions which help us to remember that these women were not the "canonical five", but real people with all the fears, loves and frailties which we all have.
                          What about the other six girls in the Jack the Ripper police files?
                          We need to celebrate what we know about them too.

Comment

apochryphal

Hello All. It may be unwise to put too much weight on what may be an apochryphal story.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                              What about the other six girls in the Jack the Ripper police files?
                              We need to celebrate what we know about them too.
                              Agreed!

I was just making the point that we should remember that they were more than just names in a police file

Comment

Working...
                              X