Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabram inquest in The Echo

Hi,

I have a question about the newspapers writing about the inquest of Martha Tabram and it concerns The Echo.

All the papers writing about the inquest of Tabram(/n) included in the British Newspaper Archive are published the 24th and later.

The Echo, however, is not included.

This site is referring to the Echo, and it gives the date for the article as the 23rd. Is that the wrong date?
    http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18880823.html

If so, which date is the right one?

Regards, Pierre

Pierre, the Echo was a London evening newspaper.

The papers you have been looking at on the British Newspaper Archive were probably morning papers reporting on the inquest of the previous day.

You will note that the Echo of 23 August 1888 refers to the inquest that took place "this afternoon".

The Tabram inquest did, in fact, take place on 23 August 1888.

Comment

The Echo only contains evidence from the first two witnesses. I suspect the reporter had to leave and file his copy at that point to make the evening issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        The Echo only contains evidence from the first two witnesses. I suspect the reporter had to leave and file his copy at that point to make the evening issue.
        Quite right Joshua, and the same holds true for the Star, Pall Mall Gazette, St. James Gazette, Evening News, Evening Post and Evening Standard. Inquest coverage in general is only partial from the evening press who went to print mid-afternoon.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi,

I have a question about the newspapers writing about the inquest of Martha Tabram and it concerns The Echo.

All the papers writing about the inquest of Tabram(/n) included in the British Newspaper Archive are published the 24th and later.

The Echo, however, is not included.

This site is referring to the Echo, and it gives the date for the article as the 23rd. Is that the wrong date?
          http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18880823.html

If so, which date is the right one?

Regards, Pierre
          Pierre,

See posts starting at #837, by you. Did you not like the answers you got then?

Comment

Working...
          X