Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by MrBarnett 37 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 46 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - by Nelson 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 1 hour and 19 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (15 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (10 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (7 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old Today, 06:50 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post
Blinkers. .Blinkers.. Head in the sand.. Blinkers

Allowing horror of the fate of the two in question to foggy up what may well have happened.
True, as with Grahams post I am speculating, but hey! what if Storie was lying all along. then answers must lie elsewhere.
Storie was accommodating a married man with two young children, for four years. Somebody pass the sick bag! By the way, I believe she lied where she claimed her parents knew all about it. sorry, just my opinion.

Does anyone have any input with regards to the final resting place of the so called .38 bullets, given the obvious line of projection. I mean anyone other than the ostriches. PS. I knew it was Storie actually for Valerie I prefer Story
Hi moste,

In case you hadn't noticed, Valerie Storie is not the one on trial here and it's a criminal, not a moral case, from 1961, not 1861.

If you have nothing nice to say about the victim, and have no sympathy for what happened to her, it would be better if you said nothing at all.

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Alfie,

I cannot find any third party reference showing whether Trower attended Alphon's id parade.

With regard to your PM, here is a link to the Evening Times committal report where Nudds said he left employment at the Vienna at midday on 5-Sep-61. The excerpt below from the Telegraph says he took up his job at the mosque on 9-Sep-61.

However Crocker’s evidence (which I can post if you wish) does appear to conflict with this and imply that he sacked them when he visited on 11-Sep-61.
Thanks Nick. I have Crocker telling the court that he visited the Vienna on Sept 11 “to assist Mrs Galves after the Glickbergs had left”. Do you have something additional to that?
Old Today, 07:16 AM
Sergeant

Crocker gave his trial evidence on 29-Jan-61 but very little is reported about it. Below is how the Telegraph reported his committal evidence.

You asked if Nudds was fired on 5-Sep, why was there a delay in Crocker visiting? I recall reading somewhere Crocker saying his duties included going to the Vienna every Monday, and 11-Sep was a Monday.
Attached Images

Old Today, 07:42 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Crocker gave his trial evidence on 29-Jan-61 but very little is reported about it. Below is how the Telegraph reported his committal evidence.

You asked if Nudds was fired on 5-Sep, why was there a delay in Crocker visiting? I recall reading somewhere Crocker saying his duties included going to the Vienna every Monday, and 11-Sep was a Monday.
Thanks again, Nick. The DT's wording is not unambiguous, but it does rather invite the reader to think that Crocker fired Nudds and Snell on Sept 11.

Anyone know Woffinden's source when he says Crocker allowed the couple to stay the night and leave the Vienna the following morning? Does any other source verify this?
Old Today, 07:52 AM
Sergeant

That could still have happened but the previous Monday.

If it happened on 11-Sep/12-Sep, Crocker would not be assisting Galves 'after the Glickbergs had left'.

At the committal Sherrard made much of Nudds being sacked on the same day that the cartridge cases were found.

Sherrard: “They were found on September 11. Surprise, surprise!”

The implication was that when Nudds was sacked he decided to plant them.

As you can see, after Sherrard’s cross examination the defence asked Nudds to ‘correct’ his departure date to 5-Sep. I assume that Sherrard checked this out and found it to be true, because he did not use the same tactic at the trial.

Last edited by NickB : Today at 08:01 AM.
Old Today, 08:27 AM
Constable

Yes, Sherrard's silence does seem to be the clincher. It's hard to imagine him ignoring the chance to point out a Nudds error or falsehood.
Old Today, 08:50 AM
Detective

One possible explanation for the ‘double dates’ of Nudds’ sacking may be that while he was told to clear off on the 6th, he returned on the 11th to receive a week’s wages due to him, something only the manager Crocker could authorize. Most workers in the UK are paid a week in arrears, so Nudds would be fully entitled to return on a Monday, when Crocker visited, to settle up and collect his cards.

Crocker was described in one article as a ‘trainee telephonist’ which seems at odds with a man who was previously over-seeing four hotels. Is much known about him beyond this? He was, after all, the person who effectively made the connection between Hanratty and the murder weapon.

In a case littered with aliases, Nudds’ certainly takes the biscuit. Whereas ‘Ryan’ and ‘Durrant’ are unexceptional, Nudds decides to take the name ‘Glickberg.’ In an era when many Jewish people anglified their names, Nudds chooses a name which would actually draw attention to himself. Are there any reasons for why he did this? Was it the name of his female companion?

Nudds’ testimony at the hearing seems very weak. His story of protecting two prisoner officers from attack has the unmistakable ring of falsehood to it. So too his claims that in order to go ‘straight’ he likes to give information to the police; anyone genuinely trying to live an honest life would try to keep at arms’ length from the police, so this is tantamount to admitting he still has criminal dealings. He even admits to the motivation of revenge for informing on criminals. Given the contradictory nature of his statements to the police, there must have been a case for the judge at trial to rule Nudds’ testimony inadmissible.