Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Varqm 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 3 hours ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (42 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (13 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (13 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Cadet

Hi Ausgirl

It's about 250 miles I think. Bradford (it was Bradford wasn't it?) Is way up north and Havant is down south, just outside Portsmouth (where I am from.

Regards
Caroline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Slipper View Post
Hi Ausgirl

It's about 250 miles I think. Bradford (it was Bradford wasn't it?) Is way up north and Havant is down south, just outside Portsmouth (where I am from.

Regards
Caroline
Thank you, Caroline. I had actually looked it up for my article but was having a brain fart about it last post.. and wow, that's a long way away, isn't it.

I'm just dying to know how old that newspaper was... can't find any mention of it as yet, if it was recorded at all, but it seems an obvious thing for police to take note of since it was found wrapped around the body.

I'd also love to know whether anyone by the name "W. Mason" might have moved to the area at some time - perhaps the paper was used for packing material. Maybe even left behind in a vacant house..

So these things are on my list of things to look for, heh.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Inspector

Yes, it would be handy to know the date of the newspaper. I can't find anyone in the 1881 or 1891 census by the name of W Mason in Liverpool. There was one in Bradford, but he was only 3 at the time....
I'm sure I've missed some, though.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Cadet

Hmm. ...

Very odd about the newspaper. It's something you'd think the police would jump on.

I may be totally wrong and having my very own brain fact here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that M J Druitt worked in or around Portsmouth too, as I said before its very close to Havant!

I think I'm just letting my imagination run away with itself now....time for bed methinks!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Sergeant

An older thread on John Gill, here at Casebook, very useful:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2796

And some great info on two other cases, from 1891 - one a mutilation case with a girl "ripped" along her abdomen, and the other in Liverpool! - via Rob Clack:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=7216

Last edited by Ausgirl : 04-22-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Sergeant

I just found reference to the source of the "killed by a gang" story.. a mysterious man from Leeds:

THE BRADFORD MURDER.

Interest has been revived in the shocking murder of the body John Gill, at Mauningham, Bradford, in December last, by the receipt of a letter by the Rev. J. Whitaker, vicar of Cononley, from a man at Duston hill, Leeds. The Rev. gentleman and others have just had a long interview with the man, who alleges that the murder was committed by five boys, and the particulars were given to him by a man who could not rest because of the guilty knowledge of the facts. He refused to give exact particulars at present, and says he is tracing the murderers himself. The matter has been placed in the hands of a local solicitor.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, November 3, 1889, Page 2

http://victorianripper.niceboard.org...r-of-john-gill

Leeds being where in 1891 5 year old Barbara Waterhouse was found wrapped in a rags/ a shawl, her throat cut so severely she was almost decapitated, her body ripped "from one end to the other" and "horribly mutilated". There's more details in the article below, they're pretty horrible. A Walter Turner was convicted for this murder. after being turned in by his mother, who got life of penal servitude for her trouble.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...M18910911.2.23

How weird!

Last edited by Ausgirl : 04-22-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
I just found reference to the source of the "killed by a gang" story.. a mysterious man from Leeds:

THE BRADFORD MURDER.

Interest has been revived in the shocking murder of the body John Gill, at Mauningham, Bradford, in December last, by the receipt of a letter by the Rev. J. Whitaker, vicar of Cononley, from a man at Duston hill, Leeds. The Rev. gentleman and others have just had a long interview with the man, who alleges that the murder was committed by five boys, and the particulars were given to him by a man who could not rest because of the guilty knowledge of the facts. He refused to give exact particulars at present, and says he is tracing the murderers himself. The matter has been placed in the hands of a local solicitor.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, November 3, 1889, Page 2

http://victorianripper.niceboard.org...r-of-john-gill

Leeds being where in 1891 5 year old Barbara Waterhouse was found wrapped in a rags/ a shawl, her throat cut so severely she was almost decapitated, her body ripped "from one end to the other" and "horribly mutilated". There's more details in the article below, they're pretty horrible. A Walter Turner was convicted for this murder. after being turned in by his mother, who got life of penal servitude for her trouble.

How weird!
Walter Lewis Turner was executed for the Barbara Warehouse murder and his mother sentenced to life imprisonment. See:http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/e...t.php?key=1398
Old 04-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Sergeant

Good grief. The more I find, the weirder it gets.. in 1889, Turner tried to kill his wife, by slashing her throat, for which he got only 8 months gaol.

Heaps more info on the following threads:

http://jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=16822&page=2
http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4920/9504.html

Sorry if this all old news to some here.. it's new news to me! This man could well have killed John Gill.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Walter Lewis Turner was executed for the Barbara Warehouse murder and his mother sentenced to life imprisonment. See:http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/e...t.php?key=1398
Another man named "Conway" (no first name given) was also executed - not sure if it was part of this case, or another? The article might just be confusingly worded:

It surely cannot be coincidence, the way little Barbara was mutilated and 'ripped' -- Turner insisted on his innocence to the end, claiming a man named "Jack" had drugged him and placed the body in his house...

I'm inclined to think he was a right nutter of a pedo, and might have been a real copycat killer, especially if he did kill John Gill as well. How many kiddie mutilators could there have been in a 10-mile radius?

Bit like "how many woman mutilators could there have been in a one-mile radius?" heh.. Answer is, probably very few, more probably only one. At least for the crimes where victims were actually mutilated.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Chief Inspector

Walter Turner's mother's sentence was reduced to one year's imprisonment though, obviously because of her cooperation with the authorities. I agree, pretty gruesome and horrible story.