Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by DJA 6 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - by John Wheat 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (12 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (7 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (5 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (3 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob Levy - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-14-2017, 02:55 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi Steve,

You write:



There are two serious research problems here:

1. There is no valid data for the so called "blood evidence", operationalized as "blood oozing" or even "flowing", since the use of the expression in Victorian times often was resultative. "Blood oozing" was said by doctors and others to have been observed by them at times after death when blood had stopped coming out of the observed bodies.

2. Therefore, applying the non valid and non reliable hypothesis about a "blood evidence" against "realistic timings" is not generating scientific knowledge.

Best wishes, Pierre

Thank you for the input Pierre, that is the sort of thing I wish to put a hold on until part 3.
This first part was purely to produce figures that could be used in discussing it and to see
if the times are reasonable compared to the hypothesis.

That been done and it is for individuals to look at the data and see what part of the data works assuming the hypothesis to be GOOD.

I appreciate what you say and it will be discussed later when we discuss the hypothesis in detail and reach conclusions.

For that reason could I please ask you to hold fire from that discussion until we reach it in my timeline.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 AM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 750
Default

It sounds like you have your mind already made up on how it happened, steve. good luck.
__________________
there,s nothing new, only the unexplored
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-14-2017, 04:53 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
It sounds like you have your mind already made up on how it happened, steve. good luck.
Made up on what in particular Robert?

That I don't think we can pinpoint the time of death based on the reported feel of extremities then certainly yes.

On if Lechmere could be the killer certainly not, however that was not the point of the exercise.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 750
Default

don,t mind me. i woke up in a mode. wanna drink guinesses til im ready to go down and heckle the jtr tour guide. they do midnight tours, right?
__________________
there,s nothing new, only the unexplored
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
don,t mind me. i woke up in a mode. wanna drink guinesses til im ready to go down and heckle the jtr tour guide. they do midnight tours, right?
Not sure Robert. Probably 1 out there.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

QUOTE=Elamarna;412099

Quote:
However this is not the end of the story; Mizen is reported as seeing flowing blood, however at least one report says this was after he returned with the ambulance.
Has we have already seen, the fastest possible time to get the ambulance would be at least 14 minutes plus some exchange at the police station. Even if we cut this exchange to a few seconds,
we are left with a combined shortest time for Mizen’s report of 9minutes 35 seconds to reach Bucks Row + 14 minutes minimum to go for and return with the ambulance that gives a total minimum time from killer cut to viewing of 23 minutes 35 seconds,

It seems clear that Mizen could not see free flowing blood, the idea is completely unviable and certainly not realistic when compared to the actual hypothesis.

He may however have seen blood run, when the body was moved and wounds may have reopened to an extent, that is a different thing which we shall look at in Part 3.

There ends PART 1
Hi Steve,

The approach you use with counting time and speed for the events given to us by the old sources has many advantages:

You highlight the episodic character of the events surrounding the Buck´s Row murder

People here are able to follow the events through a constructed time lens, for which you give clear figures

One can easily see how you have constructed the knowledge about the events

You construct a relationistic chain where you put the events together

Right now I am not sure about the reliability of the chain. When you hypothesize about minutes and seconds, and speed, in the past using rather problematic sources you tend to get problems with it. It is very difficult to know what the implications of your choices of minutes and seconds, as well as speed, are.

However, when you get a long time interval independently of speed and of how many minutes you hypothesize and that interval is too long for any observation of blood oozing, it should be established as a fact that the interval is too long for the possibility of such an observation.

Your own conclusion is, as you write, that:

"It seems clear that Mizen could not see free flowing blood, the idea is completely unviable and certainly not realistic when compared to the actual hypothesis."

You use the expression "could not".

It will be interesting to see if anyone can dispute this and how they will try to do it.

I think your own approach is interesting and will certainly follow this research.

Regards, Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 04-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
QUOTE=Elamarna;412099



Hi Steve,

The approach you use with counting time and speed for the events given to us by the old sources has many advantages:

You highlight the episodic character of the events surrounding the Buck´s Row murder

People here are able to follow the events through a constructed time lens, for which you give clear figures

One can easily see how you have constructed the knowledge about the events

You construct a relationistic chain where you put the events together

Right now I am not sure about the reliability of the chain. When you hypothesize about minutes and seconds, and speed, in the past using rather problematic sources you tend to get problems with it. It is very difficult to know what the implications of your choices of minutes and seconds, as well as speed, are.

However, when you get a long time interval independently of speed and of how many minutes you hypothesize and that interval is too long for any observation of blood oozing, it should be established as a fact that the interval is too long for the possibility of such an observation.

Your own conclusion is, as you write, that:

"It seems clear that Mizen could not see free flowing blood, the idea is completely unviable and certainly not realistic when compared to the actual hypothesis."

You use the expression "could not".

It will be interesting to see if anyone can dispute this and how they will try to do it.

I think your own approach is interesting and will certainly follow this research.

Regards, Pierre
Pierre


Yes my preferred choice of speed is certainly open to debate, hence the need to present the alternatives.

In the case of Mizen I was prepared to comment because the timings seemed so at odds with the theory that blood would stop flowing after a few minutes, with the expert saying 7 was more unlikely than 3 or 5.
With mizen we are way past that. I therefore felt it was right to make the statement I did.

As you say it will be interesting to see the reasoning behind any disagreement on this particular point later in the process.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Varqm Varqm is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 368
Default

"The approach you use with counting time and speed for the events given to us by the old sources has many advantages:

You highlight the episodic character of the events surrounding the Buck´s Row murder

People here are able to follow the events through a constructed time lens, for which you give clear figures

One can easily see how you have constructed the knowledge about the events

You construct a relationistic chain where you put the events together "


Can we just be practical here and not get bogged down by bookishness. Can we just take off the space suit for awhile.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 750
Default No PMs Necessary

i just find your research to be incredibly boring, steve
its a lot of this:.
__________________
there,s nothing new, only the unexplored
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
i just find your research to be incredibly boring, steve
its a lot of this:.
Robert

Sorry you find it boring, figures often are. And often research is.

Egyptology my main other interest has the big discoveries from time to time, which while exciting to the public, often tells the Egyptology community very little that is important

And I am sorry if you do not see the relavence of much of it to the Interpretation of the Bucks Row murder.

It's not blah it just lots of figures with commentary. If it was just charts it would be very hard to understand.

However you find it boring, no problem and I am sorry.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.