Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 9 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Spider 21 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 57 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 1 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 12 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (55 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (39 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (5 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (2 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Were Belle Elmore’s remains that proved she wasn’t related to her living relatives an - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: H.H. Holmes to be exhumed! - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,370
Default Discourse about left-right-handedness

This is not a thread where I am asking if Jack the Ripper was left handed or right handed.

It is a thread where I am asking why the doctors thought he was left handed or right handed.

Why did they interpret the wounds and marks on the victims as having been done by a left hand, by a left handed killer, by a right hand or by a right handed killer?

What can explain the variations in the discourse?

In what instances is a left handed / right handed cut /killer described?

Are the descriptions of the two types conflicting or not?

There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was left handed. There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was right handed. Why?

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2016, 02:19 PM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was left handed. There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was right handed. Why?

1)They were killed by different people.
2)The killer was ambidextrous.
3)Position of victim/killer when slashed. Standing/on ground.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
1)They were killed by different people.
2)The killer was ambidextrous.
3)Position of victim/killer when slashed. Standing/on ground.
Well, could you think of some more reasons?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2016, 03:24 PM
kjab3112 kjab3112 is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Posts: 131
Default

Pierre, the idea of which hand is based on natural drift of a straight line and better position to perform the manipulations. The evidence though was pure opinion of the doctors performing the autopsy examination. If the victim was on the floor at the time the throat was cut (as the inquests seem to suggest) and the throat cut started on the victim's left (as again) then a right handed knifeman would be more likely

Best wishes

Paul
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2016, 04:07 PM
kjab3112 kjab3112 is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Posts: 131
Default

Pierre,

Further to your ambidextrous question, the stand out is MJK. The first four canonical had a suggested throat cut from the left (Annie and Polly two left sided cuts, Liz and Catherine a lift off from left to right). MJK though was cut from the right. If there was only one knifeman in 1888 slashing throats, then there would be a high likelihood of some left handedness.

Best wishes

Paul
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,284
Default

How does a pathologist with an interest in gut flora who lectured with his left hand secured in his clothing sound?
The is no MJK.
Her name was Mary Ann Kelly and a member of Jack's church as a youngster.
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjab3112 View Post
Further to your ambidextrous question, the stand out is MJK. The first four canonical had a suggested throat cut from the left (Annie and Polly two left sided cuts, Liz and Catherine a lift off from left to right). MJK though was cut from the right. If there was only one knifeman in 1888 slashing throats, then there would be a high likelihood of some left handedness.
I don't think MJK is a stand out, really, more of a stand the other side.
For the first four canonicals the killer was thought to have stood (or crouched/knelt) on the victims' right when cutting the throat (for two that was probably the only place). In Kelly's case, the killer had to stand on her left side, hence the cut apparently going the other way.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,370
Default

[quote=kjab3112;403434]

Quote:
Pierre, the idea of which hand is based on natural drift of a straight line
Hi,

I am very interested in what you are writing here and will comment on it in all it´s parts. "Natural drift of a straight line" - I have never heard of the concept. Is there any research for it?

Quote:
and better position to perform the manipulations.
And "better" is an ordinal variable so there is a possibility of different values. Therefore, how can we say that this variable is important in the case of handedness and in what way?

Also, if you convert the variable you get the variable worse. In what ways would such a variable change the idea of the killer trying to obtain a "better" position?

Quote:
The evidence though was pure opinion of the doctors performing the autopsy examination.
And when you say "pure" opinions, what is that "purity"?

And the opinions, why do they differ?

Quote:
If the victim was on the floor at the time the throat was cut (as the inquests seem to suggest) and the throat cut started on the victim's left (as again) then a right handed knifeman would be more likely
The "if" is a problem and the "a right handed...would be more likely" is a problem already, which started a long time ago, and I would like to avoid that problem here right now. So not trying to determine the handedness - but trying to determine why the discourse is as it is.

So, what do you think about all this?

Regards, Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 12-17-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjab3112 View Post
Pierre,

Further to your ambidextrous question, the stand out is MJK. The first four canonical had a suggested throat cut from the left (Annie and Polly two left sided cuts, Liz and Catherine a lift off from left to right). MJK though was cut from the right. If there was only one knifeman in 1888 slashing throats, then there would be a high likelihood of some left handedness.

Best wishes

Paul
Hi again,

and that is the same questions: was the killer left/right-handed or "ambidextrous", and then the "likelihood of some left handedness".

So how could we analyze the discourse instead? We can try these questions:

Why did they interpret the wounds and marks on the victims as having been done by a left hand, by a left handed killer, by a right hand or by a right handed killer?

What can explain the variations in the discourse?

In what instances is a left handed / right handed cut /killer described?

Are the descriptions of the two types conflicting or not?

There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was left handed. There is evidence that Jack the Ripper was right handed. Why?

So what could be our suggested answer(s)?

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I don't think MJK is a stand out, really, more of a stand the other side.
For the first four canonicals the killer was thought to have stood (or crouched/knelt) on the victims' right when cutting the throat (for two that was probably the only place). In Kelly's case, the killer had to stand on her left side, hence the cut apparently going the other way.
Why would the killer have had to stand on her left side? Was there a law for it?

And was he actually thought to have stood on the right side, are there sources for this?

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.