Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: General Victoriana - by Disco Stu 4 hours ago.
General Discussion: General Victoriana - by DJA 5 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by harry 5 hours ago.
General Discussion: General Victoriana - by MrBarnett 6 hours ago.
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - by Sam Flynn 8 hours ago.
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (88 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (15 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (12 posts)
Feigenbaum, Carl: A Likely Suspect? - (10 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Alice Mackenzie

View Poll Results: McKenzie - Ripper victim or not?
YES 23 41.82%
NO 18 32.73%
UNDECIDED 14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi Hanway
I was undecided until recently but now I am pretty much convinced she was:

same victimology
same location
same time frame-night
unsolved
killed with knife
throat cut
left carteroid artery severed
two cuts to neck
neck cut while lying on ground
abdomen/pelvic/ privates targeted and cut(ripped)
High level (munroe)police at the time believed she was a ripper victim
Dr believed she was a ripper victim
Found lying on back
And the clincher for me-found with skirt pushed up-like the others, including Tabram.

She was a ripper victim.
Look at the cuts on her abdomen compared to Polly Nichols. They are almost identical except the number of them. Same two directions. Horizontal and vertical! Imagine that.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Chief Inspector

Interesting that people think that McKenzie was more likely a Ripper victim than Ellen Bury. Even though Ellen Bury's abdominal mutilations were deeper and her face had been disfigured (like Eddowes, Kelly). Does it all come down to the cut throat?
Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Interesting that people think that McKenzie was more likely a Ripper victim than Ellen Bury. Even though Ellen Bury's abdominal mutilations were deeper and her face had been disfigured (like Eddowes, Kelly). Does it all come down to the cut throat?
For me Harry there needs to be three components....double cut throat, legs splayed, abdominal/pelvic mutilations.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
For me Harry there needs to be three components....double cut throat, legs splayed, abdominal/pelvic mutilations.
McKenzie had all three components, Mike.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
McKenzie had all three components, Mike.
I realize that Jon, I was addressing the comparison with Bury. I personally believe that whomever killed Kate Eddowes possibly killed Alice. I believe the person who killed Polly and Annie was off the streets after those first 2 murders.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:58 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
I realize that Jon, I was addressing the comparison with Bury. I personally believe that whomever killed Kate Eddowes possibly killed Alice. I believe the person who killed Polly and Annie was off the streets after those first 2 murders.
Aha, I thought that with those credentials she might have made your canon, Mike.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:06 AM
Constable

The details I have read about the case make me struggle NOT to include her as a ripper victim.

The main reason I can see for excluding her is if the person reading the details has a specific suspect in mind whom is not compatible (for one example Druitt, but there are lots of suspects who could not be responsible for Alice)

The fact that she happens a bit later, well, she happens a bit later.
But what happens to her is extremely compelling to include her in the series.

So, what have I missed?

Can anyone talk me out of linking Alice McKenzie to the Whitechapel Murder series?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Chief Inspector

Default No Vote -- Fingernail marks

After reading through Information on Alice McKenzie and pondering it, I have arrived at a "no" it's not likely she was a victim of the man we call Jack the Ripper.

My no is based on Dr. George Bagster Phillips' inquest testimony on Day 3, Wednesday, August 14th, 1889:

There were five marks on the abdomen, and, with the exception of one, were on the left side of the abdomen. The largest one was the lowest, and the smallest one was the exceptional one mentioned, and was typical of a finger-nail mark. They were coloured, and in my opinion were caused by the finger-nails and thumb nail of a hand. I have on a subsequent examination assured myself of the correctness of this conclusion.

[Coroner] Are the injuries to the abdomen similar to those you have seen in the other cases? - No, Sir. I may volunteer the statement that the injuries to the throat are not similar to those in the other cases.

FINGERNAIL MARKS?

anyone?

curious
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
After reading through Information on Alice McKenzie and pondering it, I have arrived at a "no" it's not likely she was a victim of the man we call Jack the Ripper.

My no is based on Dr. George Bagster Phillips' inquest testimony on Day 3, Wednesday, August 14th, 1889:

There were five marks on the abdomen, and, with the exception of one, were on the left side of the abdomen. The largest one was the lowest, and the smallest one was the exceptional one mentioned, and was typical of a finger-nail mark. They were coloured, and in my opinion were caused by the finger-nails and thumb nail of a hand. I have on a subsequent examination assured myself of the correctness of this conclusion.

[Coroner] Are the injuries to the abdomen similar to those you have seen in the other cases? - No, Sir. I may volunteer the statement that the injuries to the throat are not similar to those in the other cases.

FINGERNAIL MARKS?

anyone?

curious
Hi curious,

The fingernail marks were, of course, from a hand being placed on her abdomen. Not sure if you're thinking the fingernail marks were the actual cuts to the abdomen. They were not.

Seven inches below right nipple commenced a wound seven inches long, in a downwards direction inclining first inwards then outwards. Deepest at upper part. Wound in abdomen but abdominal cavity not opened. Scoring the right side of abdomen are seven dermal marks tailing inwards to the major wound, and seven similar scorings between this wound and the pubis, one distinctly becoming deeper over the pubis.

There was also a small cut over the mons veneris.

To me, these wounds are of a "doodling" nature, comparable to what the killer of Eddowes did to her face and eyelids. The wounds to Alice's abdomen were all done post mortem and targeted the abdomen and genital area. Her skirt was thrown up to her chin as in other cases. Although the neck wound appears to be different than the other victims, it is similar in that there were two cuts to the throat as in other cases.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Hi curious,

The fingernail marks were, of course, from a hand being placed on her abdomen. Not sure if you're thinking the fingernail marks were the actual cuts to the abdomen. They were not.

Seven inches below right nipple commenced a wound seven inches long, in a downwards direction inclining first inwards then outwards. Deepest at upper part. Wound in abdomen but abdominal cavity not opened. Scoring the right side of abdomen are seven dermal marks tailing inwards to the major wound, and seven similar scorings between this wound and the pubis, one distinctly becoming deeper over the pubis.

There was also a small cut over the mons veneris.

To me, these wounds are of a "doodling" nature, comparable to what the killer of Eddowes did to her face and eyelids. The wounds to Alice's abdomen were all done post mortem and targeted the abdomen and genital area. Her skirt was thrown up to her chin as in other cases. Although the neck wound appears to be different than the other victims, it is similar in that there were two cuts to the throat as in other cases.
Hello, Jerry,
Thanks for replying.

Would you please tell me where you found that information?

Thanks, again,

curious