Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Varqm 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 3 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by Richard Patterson 3 hours ago.
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (42 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (13 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (13 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: good riddance-have fun in Hell - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Detective

The age-old problem is that we have only the behaviour of the ones who got caught to use as a baseline, and without at least some comparative data on undetected serial killers, we have no conclusive way to say how representative the behaviour of captured serial killers is compared to the pool of all serial killers.

On my more cynical days, I expect some sociologist to propose amnesty for murderers so they don't exist "out of sight", and can be properly studied.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Good job, Harry - you are catching on!
One does one's best.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
One does one's best.
We should never ask for more.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
The age-old problem is that we have only the behaviour of the ones who got caught to use as a baseline, and without at least some comparative data on undetected serial killers, we have no conclusive way to say how representative the behaviour of captured serial killers is compared to the pool of all serial killers.

On my more cynical days, I expect some sociologist to propose amnesty for murderers so they don't exist "out of sight", and can be properly studied.
A great idea - you should be jailed for it and given the Nobel prize simultaneously.
It is a very good point you make, nevertheless - what we have on record are caught serialists. And they are normally at it as they are caught. Very few are caught many years after the deeds, but there IS the odd exception, as the BTK killer and this Chinese man.
How many serialists stay uncaught for every serialist who IS caught? One? Two? More? I really donīt know, but I guess that somebody does know, or has an educated guess. Any which way, I am very sure that a very significant number of the uncaught serialists actually do stop killing. Old age, sexuality tapering off, the thrill going away, substitutions found - there can reasonably be numerous reasons for serialists calling it a day.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
So, a LAPD policeman thinks the Grim Sleeper kept killing.

Somehow, I would prefer evidence to speculations. And I am quite convinced that there are scores of serialists who stopped killing - and who were never caught.
Spat all over my computer when I read that.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Inspector

Default Oh, the irony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Yes, I can imagine so.

The article was enlightening and very sad, too. I couldn't help thinking that the serial killer throughout history has focused on vulnerable people as his (usually his, sometimes hers) victims. Whether by age, gender, class, living conditions or occupation, the people who are considered "expendable" will be attractive to the murderer who kills for his own desires.
---------------
Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Did you now? Why was that? And howīs your computer?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:08 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Yes, I can imagine so.

The article was enlightening and very sad, too. I couldn't help thinking that the serial killer throughout history has focused on vulnerable people as his (usually his, sometimes hers) victims. Whether by age, gender, class, living conditions or occupation, the people who are considered "expendable" will be attractive to the murderer who kills for his own desires.
Yes Pcdunn serial killers tend to target those who will not be missed by many so that are less likely to be caught. Also they tend to pick easy targets such as prostitutes working the streets at night on there own.

Cheers John
Old 09-01-2016, 03:37 AM
Detective

With no particular bearing on anything...Ted Bundy did apparently...allegedly...father a child.

She was conceived in the visiting area of death row, according to one story (although I find that incredibly hard to believe). I don't really know what to make of the whole thing, but there are certainly some pictures of a very happy looking post-incarceration Bundy with his 'wife' and a small child who looks very like him.

Stranger than fiction.....
Old 09-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
With no particular bearing on anything...Ted Bundy did apparently...allegedly...father a child.

She was conceived in the visiting area of death row, according to one story (although I find that incredibly hard to believe). I don't really know what to make of the whole thing, but there are certainly some pictures of a very happy looking post-incarceration Bundy with his 'wife' and a small child who looks very like him.

Stranger than fiction.....
Letīs hope she is not named Carol...