Health update and upcoming stay in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health update and upcoming stay in hospital

A quick update for my friends on Forums and Casebook. Firstly thanks so much for all the messages and good wishes I have received which have meant a great deal.
    The current situation is the chemotherapy was finished in May and has put the leukaemia into remission - there is now no trace of the disease. If I had no further treatment there is every likelihood the disease would come back in the long term so, in consultation with the medical staff, the lasting solution is a bone marrow transplant. This has now been time tabled and a donor found who is a perfect match for me.
    I will be going into hospital on 15 September and the transplant will be done on the 19 September. This procedure is not an invasive surgical procedure but is a transfusion of stem cells from the donor which should rebuild my immune system. I will be in hospital for about 3-4 weeks as during the early days after the infusion I will be effectively without an immune system. I am prepared for the transfusion by a short course (3 days) of mild chemotherapy and a one off session of low level radiotherapy.
    Because the match of the donor and myself is so good the chances of problems is very low level. The figures I have been quoted is that the chances of major problems is of the order of 1-2% and the possibility of minor reactions is about 30%.
    Because of the risk of infection while I'm in I will be in isolation but I can certainly cope with that and will have my laptop, tablet and mobile phone with me and there is wi-fi access in the hospital. So I will be able to keep in touch with what is going on!
    I must give unstinting praise to the Royal Marsden Hospital in Surrey where this treatment will be done. The staff and treatment I have received are incredible and this hospital is the world leader in the treatment of this disease so I really could not be in better hands.
    Thanks again to all my friends on casebook and Forums and I hope to be back in action and restored to health by the end of this year
    Best regards to all
    Chris Scott

Thanks for letting us know what's going on with you, Chris. It's wonderful that the outlook is so positive and I wish you all the best.

Dave

Comment

Yes Chris, thanks for the update, and here's hoping for that good result

All the best

Dave

Comment

Best wishes Chris for a successful result and a speedy recovery.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

get well soon

I don't know you have never communicated with you on here but that fact dosnt stop me from sending you my best wishes and I hope you have a very speedy recovery
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Good luck to you Chris, and I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

Best wishes to you!
              - Ginger

Comment

All the very best. Sounds like you are in good hands.

Phil

Comment

Thanks to all for the good wishes - these messages really mean a lot
                  Chris

Comment

Thinking of you, Chris. Hope you get a hot nurse.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Best wishes to you Chris. I hope everything goes well.

Comment

Best o luck Chris.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Chris - I wish you all the best. I have a cousin who underwent exactly the same treatment about 20 years ago and he's still healthy.
                          This is simply my opinion

Comment

That's a real luck to have found a donor who makes a perfect match, so I'm confident everything will soon be fine.

Courage, mon cher Chris !

Comment

Thanks again to all for support and good wishes

Comment

Working...
                              X