New Article on the Swanson Marginalia in Ripperologist 128

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    The past is the past, but I'll say again that from this point forward, all room for debate about the provenance and legitimacy of the marginalia has been removed, because of this article. Anyone suggesting from this point forward that Swanson did not write every word of it, assuming they have read this article, can only be seen as working from a personal agenda, but I would assume this won't be an issue again.

Of course, there's still plenty of room for debate as to whether Swanson personally suspected Kosminski. It seems to me he was more of a type b personality, falling in line with Anderson, who was unquestionably a type a personality.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Thats all right nice Tom however the fact Keith Skinner was accused of falsifying this document by Trevor Marriott whilst others made allusions to falsification should not be swept under the carpet.

Move on by all means. Least have the guts to put your hands up and say "sorry, I was wrong".

This was slander, pure and simple.

MOnty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty,

Believe it or not, I was not aware that Keith had been accused of any wrong doing. The only accusations I'm aware of were that Begg turned a blind eye to 'dfferent handwritings' and that Jim Swanson may have faked some or all of the marginalia. Those marginalia threads were very difficult to read and follow, so I only occasionally peaked in and no doubt missed much. Frankly, I've never had trouble believing that the marginalia was 100% legit, so the debate didn't hold much interest me, since little evidence was presented to the contrary. I would agree that accusations of fakery against anyone still alive should not be tolerated nor soon forgotten. Oh that Trevor!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
        Thats all right nice Tom however the fact Keith Skinner was accused of falsifying this document by Trevor Marriott whilst others made allusions to falsification should not be swept under the carpet.

Move on by all means. Least have the guts to put your hands up and say "sorry, I was wrong".

This was slander, pure and simple.

MOnty
        Excuse me but that is a total lie I never accused Keith Skinner of falsifying any document and I would ask you to retract that statement.

As to being wrong if I am wrong then I would be the first to acknoweldge that fact. As to being sorry I have nothing to be sorry for or anyne to say sorry to.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          Excuse me but that is a total lie I never accused Keith Skinner of falsifying any document and I would ask you to retract that statement.

As to being wrong if I am wrong then I would be the first to acknoweldge that fact. As to being sorry I have nothing to be sorry for or anyne to say sorry to.
          My apologies Trevor,

I retract what I stated in post No31 on this thread. It simply wasnt true.

You did, infact, accuse Keith of theft. I just got the wrong slander.

Monty

PS didnt you accuse Jim Swanson of adding the final Kosminski line?
          Monty

Comment

Poor Trevor, it's really quite horrible when someone accuses you of doing something you never did and impugns your reputation like that. Really, so absolutely terrible. The outrage!

Wait for it....

Let all Oz be agreed;
            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              My apologies Trevor,

I retract what I stated in post No31 on this thread. It simply wasnt true.

You did, infact, accuse Keith of theft. I just got the wrong slander.

Monty

PS didnt you accuse Jim Swanson of adding the final Kosminski line?
              Well I am afraid to tell you that you are wrong in both cases, but of course you dont like to be proved wrong on here it makes you look so small and insignificant----- oh I forgot you are anyway

But of course admin (Ally) on here will let allow you to say whatever you like and get away with it, admin(Ally) will even join in as can be seen from the post that follows yours.

Comment

So you did not accuse Keith Skinner of theft Trevor? Just so I'm clear on what I'm wrong on.

Monty

I'm significant enough to get you squirming.
                Monty

Comment

Oh please Trevor what a crock. You got banned for your comments regarding Keith swiping papers. You know it, everyone knows it. Trying to pretend it never happened is just a crock. And you don't even have the basic decency to just own it and say you were wrong and you never have.

Playing the victim, Trevor? Neither a good nor believable look for you.

Anyway, I'll leave this crock of crap now so as not to derail the thread any further but seriously, Trevor Marriott casting himself in the role of Martyr?

That's about the funniest thing he's done this month! And oh there were so many funny, funny things....

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Of course, there's still plenty of room for debate as to whether Swanson personally suspected Kosminski. It seems to me he was more of a type b personality, falling in line with Anderson, who was unquestionably a type a personality.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Hello Tom,

I agree entirely. Which is why the "wild horses" comment has assumed an important role in my own personal interpretation of the actions of DSS. I honestly believe that DSS was writing an expansion of the Anderson story as he knew it or was regailed it, filling in the gaps.

What I was hoping to see in the article, but hopefully will come with a follow up, would be something that would tell us if the above was plausible or probable or not..with examples of annotations from the same book. Obviously, Swanson would not have been personally involved in everything that Anderson wrote in his book, so how he commented on other stories from the book would give us the indication of whether he was "filling in" other pieces of information. It may indicate whether he was, infact, personally involved or show that he is enlarging on a story he knew of and or was told him. However, we won't know until we see various examples. I hope this can be arranged? Perhaps Adam has a few ideas on the subject?

I believe it may answer an important question re the WM story Anderson gave us.

best wishes

Phil
                    Last edited by Phil Carter; 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM.
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

A crock indeed. Very sad.

Comment

Annotated pages in Lighter Side

Phil,

In answer to your last post I'm about to post high res images of the other three annotated pages of The Lighter Side of My Official Life, so you'll be able to see the extent to which DSS wrote in that book.

I have to say, having seen these and annotations in other books by DSS in his library (which were photographed and featured in my article), I agree completely with Rob House when he says that in his opinion, if Swanson had a different opinion to Anderson he would most certainly have written, rather than expanding on a theory which he knew to be wrong.

Judging by every instance of margin notes I've seen by Swanson, he had no problem at all correcting something which was incorrect.

Best wishes
                        Adam

Comment

Page 137

Underlining on page 137 regarding the house-to-house search and Anderson's conclusion that the killer and his people were Polish Jews.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Page 144

Page 144.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Page 244

Page 244. All photographs are my copyright.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to be late

What can one say about this wonderfully written piece...the research is valuable enough, the presentation impeccable...and the follow-up stuff simply hammers it home...to be fair not by a long chalk is absolutely everything tied down, (viz the Seaside Home Mystery), but thanks to Adam and Keith the authenticity of the marginalia and much else besides must surely be far, far less in doubt...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X