Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by FrankO 5 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Alfie 19 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 47 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 48 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by caz 2 hours ago.
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - by Bridewell 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (24 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (23 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (5 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (3 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
I am one of the worlds great skeptics (but am not opposed to the possibility.. just have never seen anything to convince me).. That being said, I do have one "odd" occurrence...
When I was 25 years old I was in bed sleeping and I heard someone open the door to my bedroom, I thought it was my roommate at first (who often came in my room for CD's or Movies at night as he worked 2nd shift and would be up late), but then I felt someone sit on the edge of my bed.. I opened my eyes and saw my grandfather (who died when I wasn't even 2 years old.. I only knew him from pictures) then he spoke... he said " Why are you debating it.. just place the bet" (keep in mind my Grandfather was a huge gambler I have heard..and also a numbers runner... but that is a different story) I was confused and said "what bet, what are you talking about" he shook his head and said " Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie" ( Fort Erie is a Thoroughbred Horse racing track in Fort Erie Canada.. about 20 minutes from where I live in Buffalo NY)..Again... I said " what are you talking about and he smiled and got up and walked out.....and I went back to sleep (or continued sleeping)
The next day I woke up (a Saturday) and called my mother to tell her about the dream I had.. and before I did she said "my Father came to see me last night.. and he said you were going to be ok" I laughed and said.. that's funny , I had a dream last night that he came to see me and told me to bet a horse.. she laughed and said, "yep that's my dad"
(my mother has claimed he visits her often....but you have to understand... he died very young (in his early 50's) under.. well... suspicious circumstances.. while my mother was only 26 and pregnant with her 3rd child (in fact she went in to labor with my Brother at his funeral), so his death was very hard on her... and understandable that she would project his visitations as a coping method... anyway..)
So I told her he told me to bet Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie....and she said hang on let me grab the paper....and sure enough.. in the 5th Race at Fort Erie was a 2 year old horse named Irish woman....odds were like 36/1.. so I said.. well.. that's odd... I think I will go bet it... went up to Fort Erie.. and when it was time for the 5th I went to the window and as I was there I heard the announcement Irish Woman has been scratched (removed from the race)...
Now I admit it was odd....but I still chalk it up to coincidence... I probably saw the Fort Erie line up in the paper the day before.. and the name Irish Woman stuck with me in my subconscious (as I have always been attracted to Irish Women)... and in my mind I do associate gambling, especially horse betting with my grandfather... as far as my mother... as I said.. she claims he visits often.....anyway...even if I don't necessarily make any "supernatural" claims.. thought some of you would enjoy that story....it is also the kind of thing I can picture some people using as "proof" when my explanation is just as if not far more logical.

Steadmund Brand
Hi Stead
awesome story.

My dad died from cancer when I was in my twenties and I have the most vivid dreams of him. In them hes always beat the cancer and theres a sense of wonderment of how healthy he is and that hes kicked it. very vivid dreams but no question that they were only dreams.

I dont remember if my Mom ever said shed seen him again and unfortunately she has no memeory and does not even remember him any more. Im going to ask her though anyway next time i visit.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Cd
For ****s sake.

I didnít see anything so I donít know how the legend reflected my experiences.

Also, Iíve asked people to share their experiences not go off topic and post how itís all bullshit.

Thanks for derailing
Lighten up, dude. Seriously.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is online now
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
My mother was living in another state, when I had to go back for a long visit to help her after an illness. My brother also came up to help at one point. I went back in November, and my mom passed away in early January of the following year.

Well, by the following fall, we moved from our apartment building to a duplex in another neighborhood. It had a great backyard, lots of landscaping, and no stairs! We had fun decorating it for the holiday season, and shooing our cats away from the Christmas tree. My young cat seemed to love to climb into the tree and grab at ornaments.

One night in mid-December, I had noticed a stuffed snowman decoration sitting up behind our table. It was dressed as an elf, and had bells on its toes. I had picked it up and looked at it, before putting it back in its place.
Much later, I went to bed. My companion had gone to work on the third shift, and only the cats were with me. As I was trying to fall asleep, I heard bells jingling. I thought my cat was messing in the tree, so I sat up and shouted at her, then noticed she was in my room, staring out at the hallway. The older cat was in there too, sleeping on the cat-tree.
I listened, called out again, and the jingling stopped abruptly. Eventually I went to sleep.
The next day, when I came into the kitchen, that snowman elf with the bells on its toes was sitting upright in a cat bed, on the bench by the table, at the other side of where it had been last night. My friend returned from work, and asked me why I'd put the snowman there. "I didn't do it," I said, and mentioned what I'd heard the night before. We chalked it up to one of those things you can't explain.
But two things make me wonder. My mother said she'd had an imaginary friend as a child, an elf named Ding-Dong Bell, who jumped into a wishing well when adults came around. I think she said he wore bells, too.
And the night this had happened, was my parents' wedding anniversary.
I'm not trying to knock it, but I seem to recall a child's rhyme I heard back in the late 1950s.

"Ding-Dong Bell,
*****'s in the well.
Who put him in?
Little Johnny Thin.
Who'll pull him out?
Little Johnny Stout.
What a bad boy was that to drown poor ***** cat!!...."

I'm sorry, I can't recall the last two lines, dealing with something in "his father's barn".

Jeff

Now that I've seen the two examples's of censorship here, next time instead of the "p" word I'll write "kitten"!

Last edited by Mayerling : 03-13-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is online now
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
I am one of the worlds great skeptics (but am not opposed to the possibility.. just have never seen anything to convince me).. That being said, I do have one "odd" occurrence...
When I was 25 years old I was in bed sleeping and I heard someone open the door to my bedroom, I thought it was my roommate at first (who often came in my room for CD's or Movies at night as he worked 2nd shift and would be up late), but then I felt someone sit on the edge of my bed.. I opened my eyes and saw my grandfather (who died when I wasn't even 2 years old.. I only knew him from pictures) then he spoke... he said " Why are you debating it.. just place the bet" (keep in mind my Grandfather was a huge gambler I have heard..and also a numbers runner... but that is a different story) I was confused and said "what bet, what are you talking about" he shook his head and said " Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie" ( Fort Erie is a Thoroughbred Horse racing track in Fort Erie Canada.. about 20 minutes from where I live in Buffalo NY)..Again... I said " what are you talking about and he smiled and got up and walked out.....and I went back to sleep (or continued sleeping)
The next day I woke up (a Saturday) and called my mother to tell her about the dream I had.. and before I did she said "my Father came to see me last night.. and he said you were going to be ok" I laughed and said.. that's funny , I had a dream last night that he came to see me and told me to bet a horse.. she laughed and said, "yep that's my dad"
(my mother has claimed he visits her often....but you have to understand... he died very young (in his early 50's) under.. well... suspicious circumstances.. while my mother was only 26 and pregnant with her 3rd child (in fact she went in to labor with my Brother at his funeral), so his death was very hard on her... and understandable that she would project his visitations as a coping method... anyway..)
So I told her he told me to bet Irish Woman in the 5th at Fort Erie....and she said hang on let me grab the paper....and sure enough.. in the 5th Race at Fort Erie was a 2 year old horse named Irish woman....odds were like 36/1.. so I said.. well.. that's odd... I think I will go bet it... went up to Fort Erie.. and when it was time for the 5th I went to the window and as I was there I heard the announcement Irish Woman has been scratched (removed from the race)...
Now I admit it was odd....but I still chalk it up to coincidence... I probably saw the Fort Erie line up in the paper the day before.. and the name Irish Woman stuck with me in my subconscious (as I have always been attracted to Irish Women)... and in my mind I do associate gambling, especially horse betting with my grandfather... as far as my mother... as I said.. she claims he visits often.....anyway...even if I don't necessarily make any "supernatural" claims.. thought some of you would enjoy that story....it is also the kind of thing I can picture some people using as "proof" when my explanation is just as if not far more logical.

Steadmund Brand
Never got a dream tip on the races (some tip - the horse got scratched). Years ago I was at Aqueduct with my sister and future brother-in-law, and I made a bet on a horse named "Troopship". Reason? - it was the 7th of May, and that is the anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania (which technically was not being used as a troopship, but the similarity of it and the horse's name struck me as intriguing).

But on one occasion about four years back, I was sleeping and I thought there was a conversation at the foot of my bed between my father (who died in 1991) and an old family friend named Phyllis Brownstein (who died in 1980). Of course here it is usual to talk about what they said, but while sometimes I clearly hear talking speech in my dreams and recall it, this time I have no idea or recollection of what the conversation was about. Yet I did think their presence was at the edge of my bed.

We had not been in touch with the Brownstein family for many years since Phyllis' untimely death from cancer (she was in her early fifties). But a few days back last week, I discovered that her husband Joe apparently died at or about that time. I can't be exact because I don't recall the date of the "visitation". Which is why I must say this incident is unproven.

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Lighten up, dude. Seriously.

c.d.
You lighten up. dude. Seriously. Like when the importance of your own idea seems far more important to you to express it than what a thread is actually about.

And get a little humbleness cd. Like being able to be man enough to admit your mistake and apologize for once.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Never got a dream tip on the races (some tip - the horse got scratched). Years ago I was at Aqueduct with my sister and future brother-in-law, and I made a bet on a horse named "Troopship". Reason? - it was the 7th of May, and that is the anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania (which technically was not being used as a troopship, but the similarity of it and the horse's name struck me as intriguing).

But on one occasion about four years back, I was sleeping and I thought there was a conversation at the foot of my bed between my father (who died in 1991) and an old family friend named Phyllis Brownstein (who died in 1980). Of course here it is usual to talk about what they said, but while sometimes I clearly hear talking speech in my dreams and recall it, this time I have no idea or recollection of what the conversation was about. Yet I did think their presence was at the edge of my bed.

We had not been in touch with the Brownstein family for many years since Phyllis' untimely death from cancer (she was in her early fifties). But a few days back last week, I discovered that her husband Joe apparently died at or about that time. I can't be exact because I don't recall the date of the "visitation". Which is why I must say this incident is unproven.

Jeff
Interesting. Another bed encounter. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,524
Default

First of all Abby, you gave no parameters as to how you wanted people to respond to your thread so I fail to see how I could have possibly "derailed" it as you claim.

I made no comment about you personally so I fail to see why you have your panties in a bunch.

I did not discount your experience but simply pointed out that knowing a place has had prior claims of the paranormal connected to it can influence what someone experiences there.

I gave two examples of dealing with paranormal claims. The first simply reiterated how having preconceived ideas about the paranormal can affect what people think they experience. The second example simply reinforced the idea of getting all the facts before jumping to a conclusion.

I made no statement to the effect that all paranormal claims are B.S.

As to apologizing "for once", please give me an example of my previous behavior which required an apology.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
First of all Abby, you gave no parameters as to how you wanted people to respond to your thread so I fail to see how I could have possibly "derailed" it as you claim.

I made no comment about you personally so I fail to see why you have your panties in a bunch.

I did not discount your experience but simply pointed out that knowing a place has had prior claims of the paranormal connected to it can influence what someone experiences there.

I gave two examples of dealing with paranormal claims. The first simply reiterated how having preconceived ideas about the paranormal can affect what people think they experience. The second example simply reinforced the idea of getting all the facts before jumping to a conclusion.

I made no statement to the effect that all paranormal claims are B.S.

As to apologizing "for once", please give me an example of my previous behavior which required an apology.

c.d.


Um what ďparameterĒof share your paranormal experience didnít you understand?
Instead to long posts with links no less basically saying itís BS.

Did you consider for a second that it might discourage people from posting?

Itís a dick move and instead of just admitting your mistake your just doubling down.

Forget it. Iím not wasting any more time with you. So Iíll just say off topic to you, which your posts are.

So feel free to start a thread on your own and bugger off.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 PM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,524
Default

Well I seem to be the latest in a long line of posters on Casebook with whom you have an issue. Why I don't know. Maybe you need to double up on your meds or perhaps think about leaving Casebook and developing an interest in some other area such as poetry perhaps.

And you can bugger off too.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,638
Default Older than that, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
I'm not trying to knock it, but I seem to recall a child's rhyme I heard back in the late 1950s.

"Ding-Dong Bell,
*****'s in the well.
Who put him in?
Little Johnny Thin.
Who'll pull him out?
Little Johnny Stout.
What a bad boy was that to drown poor ***** cat!!...."

I'm sorry, I can't recall the last two lines, dealing with something in "his father's barn".

Jeff

Now that I've seen the two examples's of censorship here, next time instead of the "p" word I'll write "kitten"!
I remember that rhyme too, and I was born in the mid-Fifties. My mother was born in 1920, and I wouldn't be surprised if her imaginary elf friend was inspired by an illustrated storybook. She grew up to be an artist, so had a very strong imagination!
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.