The records from Claybury Asylum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The records from Claybury Asylum

Today I received a reply from Redbridge Record Office of the information they have regarding Fleming/Evans at Claybury
    Sadly there is very little - in fact the information is confined to his admission record with, apparently, no follow up notes as was the case with the Stone Asylum
    Here is the reply I received today:

Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 11:51 AM
    Subject: RE: Claybury Asylum

Dear Mr Scott,
    I am glad to tell you that the Health Authority has agreed to release to you the details of Mr James Evans, alias Joseph Fleming.
    The information is as follows:
    He was admitted to Claybury as James Evans, on 14th February 1895, transferring from Stone. He was then 40 years old, unmarried, a pauper (the responsibility of Bethnal Green), and had been a dock labourer. His religion is given as C of E. His illness was described as mania, to which he had a hereditary disposition, and was precipitated by the use of alcohol. This was his first attack, which had lasted 3 years. He died on 28th August 1920.

You will deduce from the above that the understanding then of mental illness and its causes was very different from our own.

He may simply have been an alcoholic with a "wet brain," then?

Comment

Hi Robert
      I assume this assessment is a combination of the notes from Stone that his mania was precipitated by drink and the "hereditary disposition" which echoes the mother's note that there was a history of insanity in the family
      Chris

Comment

And for some unfathomable reason, he remains "James Evans", although it must have been patently clear by now that this was not his real name...?

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

Would´nt a death certificate have been issued, by the way? And were not such things kept record of?

Just a thought. And as always, thanks for digging and sharing, Chris!

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

Hi Fisherman
            The details of the death certificate read as follows:

"28 August 1920 at Claybury Mental Hospital, Urban District.
            Joseph Fleming, otherwise James Evans.
            Male, 65 years.
            Of City of London Union Infirmary.
            Previous address unknown. Chargeable to Bethnal Green, a dock labourer.
            Cause of death, Pulmonary Tuberculosis, 6 months, 13 days
            P.M. Certified by F. Paine, acting Medical Superintendent, Claybury Mental Hospital, Ilford, 1 September 1920."

Comment

Of course, Chris; seen it before! I was just grasping for straws, apparently - the document I had in mind was a lot more specific about height, weight, and such ...

Anyway, here in the death certificate he is referred to primarily as Joseph Fleming.
              One can´t help wondering why this was not the case as he was transferred from Stone asylum to Claybury? I have no trouble accepting that he himself may have given his name as James Evans, but Henrietta Fleming must have effectively blown that cover. So why is this not evident in the Claybury papers? Why was he admitted as James Evans?

I mean, if people suffer from a condition where they believe they are penguins, it´s all good and well if the staff at the asylum play along if they wish to - but that´s a far cry from actually claiming in the records that they are dealing with penguins!

All the best,
              Fisherman

Comment

Is it likely that Claybury had taken a photo of Fleming?
                We have 2 splendid pics of Isenchmid from Colney Hatch. It would be good to get one of Joe.

Amitiés all

Comment

The main entrance.
                  It is now called Repton Park after the 18th century landscape architect of the surrounding parkland.

I am puzzled by the three Essex Seaxes appearing on the gate post.
                  This ancient badge was made the official emblem for Essex County Council in 1932, but Claybury, although then counted as being in Essex, was run by the County of London. It looks like an old crest.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	claybury 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	665083

Comment

The main residential area has controlled entrance. The grounds are a public park.

Name:	claybury 2.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	665084

Comment

Here's an estate map.

Name:	claybury 3.jpg
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	665085

Comment

Fleming's quarters can be seen in the background.

Name:	claybury 7.jpg
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	665086

Comment

Although completed in 1893, this building was dated 1891.

Name:	claybury 4.jpg
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	665087

Comment

An overgrown staircase leading up to the buildings.

Name:	claybury 6.jpg
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	665088

Comment

The chapel - now a swimming pool.

Name:	claybury 5.jpg
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	665089