William Henry Hurlbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiro

Hello Trade. Spiro will DEFINITELY want to see this one.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• int 1-3

Hello All. Here is an interview with Hurlbert.

("The World" April 22, 1891.)

Cheers.
      LC
      Attached Files

Comment

• int 4 & 5

Hello All. Finis.

Cheers.
        LC
        Attached Files

Comment

• op

Hello All. What was English opinion of WHH and the trial? See below.

(Source: as above.)

Cheers.
          LC
          Attached Files

Comment

• letter

Hello All. And an Evelyn letter for completion.

(Source: as above.)

Cheers.
            LC
            Attached Files

Comment

• novel idea

Hello All. Here is a link to a discussion of Hurlbert as a pattern for a couple of novels. (Need to scroll down to near bottom for WHH.)

Cheers.
              LC

An essay by Caleb Crain, originally published in The New Republic 224 (28 May 2001), pp. 41-48. The essay is a review of The Magnificent Activist: The Writings of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 1823-1…

Comment

• Harry Marks at the NY World:

Harry Marks of the Financial News testified at a libel trial that he had been on the staff for the New York World during the 1870's, which would have been during Hurlbert's tenure. During the Whitechapel Murders, the Financial News offered £300 toward a reward.

GEORGE WASHINGTON BUTTERFIELD, Breaking Peace > libel, 15th December 1890.

91. GEORGE WASHINGTON BUTTERFIELD was indicted for publishing a false, scandalous, and malicious libel of and concerning Harry Hananel Marks, to which he pleaded a justification that the libel was true in fact, and was published for "the public good.

HARRY HANANEL MARKS. I am one of the chief proprietors of the paper known as the Financial News—I went to America in 1870, and it was there that I became connected with journalism—from 1873 to 1878 I was on the regular staff of the New York World, and acted as New York correspondent for the Chicago Times, and other Western newspapers—some time before July, 1878, I became an occasional contributor to the Jewish Times and Reformer [...]

[...] I went to America at fifteen, alone—my father had friends in New Orleans, and I became a clerk in their house—I had taught here at a school, during a vacation at college, at Dr. Bidlake's, at Islington, only during the vacation—I had had no other business or employment—I went into a wholesale drug house in America; I stayed there till 1872, about a year; the name of the firm was E. J. Hart and Co.—part of the time I did their French and German correspondence, or assisted in it, and the rest of the time I was in the laboratory—from there I went to Texas—my first employment there was as a canvasser for sewing machines, and driver of a mule team for the sewing-machine agent—my next employ-ment was as managing editor of the San Antonio Daily Express—that was during the Presidential campaign in the latter part of 1872—I next became a travelling correspondent for the Galveston Bulletin—I continued that until I returned to New Orleans in March, 1873—in 1873 I joined the staff of the New Orleans Picaune, and remained there till the latter part of 1873—I then went to New York with introductions from the editors I had served, and obtained a position on the staff of the New York World, which I held till 1878—at the beginning, during the Carlist War, I assisted the foreign editor—after that I became the assistant night editor of the paper, and held that for about three years; as far as I re-member those were all the employments I was in till 1878 [...]

Comment

• This issue of the Sun has a couple of articles about the Butterfield trial and Marks' background:

The Sun (New York), December 18, 1890, Page 3

HARRY MARKS BEATEN

HE LOSES SUIT AGAINST THE MAN WHO ACCUSED HIM

--

THE CHARGES AGAINST MARKS

His Relations with Mrs. Koppel and His Financial Methods in London

Comment

• Sala

Hello All. Here is a depiction of Hurlbert's close friend, George Augustus Sala.

(Snippet from "Black and White" December 14, 1895.)

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Sala(cious) details

Hello All. Here is the accompanying brief bio from the same source.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Higginson book

Hello All. Below is a link to a book by Thomas Wentworth Higginson. It has a few pages on WHH.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• More Hurls? NICE!
                          I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                          Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

• renouncing

Hello Joe. Notice how he has renounced the simple life and wishes to go in a new direction.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Frank Leslie's Popular Monthly, Volume 27, June 1889, Pages 641-651

The Parnell-"Times" Commission
                              by Richard B. Kimball, LL.D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtr-pigott-confession.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	663222

Comment

• Piggott

Hello Trade. Splendid! Thanks.

Odd that Piggott should commit suicide after making a clean breast of it and even escaping. Whilst reading his testimony in MacDonald's diary of the trial, he came across as a survivor.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X