Latest 3D of No.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest 3D of No.13

This is my latest attempt at modelling No13. You can now view these models in your browser so no need to upload or download anything now.

The model is not finished yet - I want feedback before I create the final version with baked shadows and correct lighting.

The model is based directly from the photos. I actually superimposed the photos and modelled directly on to them so the model is as accurate as the details in MJK1 & MJK2. But again, I need feedback. Room is approx 10 x 12ft

The navigation is easy but Here's a link to a page with instructions:

Click on the annotations to move automatically from view to view, or use your mouse etc. to free-roam.

The EXCITING part of this model is that you can now stand in the room and look around with the aid of VR (you will see the VR button when you load the model). If you have Google cardboard (poor man's VR goggles) or if you are rich and have the 500 quid jobs, then fire up VR and you'll be standing in No13 looking around. It's really quite an experience. And it will be even better once I get feedback to correct errors and once I've baked the lighting properly. You'll need a pretty good smartphone for VR/Cardboard but if you have PROPER VR goggles then you'll have no problems viewing.

Please take a look and tell me what's right, wrong and what to do to fix it.

thanks

13 Miller's Court, Whitechapel 1888
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Hi Richard,

Your model is a fantastic piece of work, and an aid to our understanding.

You should be very proud.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks Simon. Very kind words

Here's a top down of the model to show the proportions and layout. Please provide suggestions and feedback.

Click for a big image of the above

I'm of a mind to create this model with NO textures or shadows so that it can be viewed and used as a 'virtual crime scene' aid/tool.

it looks great in 'matcap' (the version in the image above) with wireframe.

Although, the settings in the live model can be changed by the user from textured to matcap/wireframe easy enough.

Comment

Wow that is excellent.
        I'll be checking that out on the VR goggles in the morning.
        Incidentally you can get a decent pair of sturdy plastic ones with fully adjustable lens brand new on eBay for about £10.
        I would say it's only a matter of time before ripper tours introduce VR into their content.

Comment

Another amazing piece of work. Thank you for this.

Comment

Can't see Jack

Comment

Thanks Yabs!
              Yes, I've got the cardboard ones and I bought a ten quid pair from a bargain shop which are hard plastic that you put your smartphone into (sort of a tiny step up from cardboard!). The problem for me is my smartphone is not good enough so it's a poor experience. I've tried on other phones and it works great. It actually demonstrates how small that room really was. Literally, there is no room to walk around without bumping into the table, chair or bed. But it's quite a surreal experience.

Have you got 'proper' VR?

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                Thanks Yabs!
                Yes, I've got the cardboard ones and I bought a ten quid pair from a bargain shop which are hard plastic that you put your smartphone into (sort of a tiny step up from cardboard!). The problem for me is my smartphone is not good enough so it's a poor experience. I've tried on other phones and it works great. It actually demonstrates how small that room really was. Literally, there is no room to walk around without bumping into the table, chair or bed. But it's quite a surreal experience.

Have you got 'proper' VR?

the pair I've got were distributed to people at work to show 360 interiors of rooms and factories etc to clients.
                I'm not sure if they are proper but they are very impressive.
                They do need a decent smartphone with built in gyroscope.

I might be wrong but it was my understanding that the expensive ones just have a built in mini android tablet so you don't need to use a phone and they have full joystick control but the lens are the same.

Comment

Great work as ever Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                    Thanks Simon. Very kind words

Here's a top down of the model to show the proportions and layout. Please provide suggestions and feedback.

Click for a big image of the above

I'm of a mind to create this model with NO textures or shadows so that it can be viewed and used as a 'virtual crime scene' aid/tool.

it looks great in 'matcap' (the version in the image above) with wireframe.

Although, the settings in the live model can be changed by the user from textured to matcap/wireframe easy enough.
                    You have included the door between the front and back room, good.

Comment

Excellent Work As Usual

Hi Richard. Excellent work as usual, and in such painstaking detail. You're a combination draftsman, artist and historian! Comments: I believe the original door opening in the wall was either partitioned off or covered with wall paper of some kind, so I assume your inclusion of the door in your reconstruction was strictly for informational purposes. What I'm curious about is, how did you arrive at the width of the bed and the little table next to it? From the window-side photograph, it seemed to me the bed wasn't quite that wide. I'm also curious about the position of the table with respect to the entry door. I know it blocked the entry door from opening completely, but from the one photo where you can see a crack of light on the hinge side of the entry door, I had the impression that the door could be opened 90 degrees before hitting on the table. Just curious.

John
                      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Hi, thank for the feedback. There has been, and there are endless discussions regarding the partition door makeup and position. I've taken part in a lot of those discussions and I decided that the 'partition' was simply a locked door (maybe the door knob was removed too) stopping the folk from the main house from entering No.13 via that door.

The bed width has also been discussed here and there is a view that the bed was not a conventional single width bed but perhaps a three-quarter width. It in clear from MJK2 that the bed is wider than what we would consider a normal width single bed. The final part of your question centers on MJK3 (the photo taken from the partition side. Again, there is endless discussion and it would seem that the bed and/or the small table (and even Mary herself) was moved between MJK2 and MJK3 being taken. Note, also, that Mary's left leg is at different angles between MJK2&3. So, there are no solid facts that can ascertain these things. It's all 'educated' guess work really.

Further discussion is necessary so that we can arrive at something that is satisfactory to most of us and then I can adjust the model to fit our decisions.
                        Last edited by richardh; 10-07-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:
                          I've added a better model of Mary (not gratuitous but more accurate positioning with finger and toe positioned matched to MJK2 & MJK3).
                          I'm of the opinion that Mary's right-hand fingers/thumb can be seen peeking from behind her mutilated right leg in both MJK2 & 3. I really need a good quality version of those photos.
                          The version of Mary in this model (current) hasn't got the right-hand fingers/thumb peeking out from behind the right leg because I've positioned her right arm further away from her body (abducted away). If I reduce the abduction then the fingers/thumb come into view when seen from MJK2 camera position.

Also, in the MJK3 position (from partition wall) you can see the exposed femur as seen in the MJK3 photo (that is if it IS the femur in MJK3 - debatable). I'm inclined to believe that the 'femur' in MJK3 is, in fact, a finger or a thumb.

The VR version of this model works great but i want to create a baked final version with shadows which will allow the VR to work faster and be shadowed in any smartphone.

I'll create a baked version and upload it soon.

Feedback would be appreciated.

thanks
                          Model link = https://skfb.ly/TRLr

Comment

A Youtube vid showing the different methods of rendering and annotation navigation.
                            A 3D model of No. 13 Miller&#8217;s Court. Murder scene of Jack the Ripper&#8217;s 5th canonical victim Mary Kelly on 9th November 1888.The model seen in this video has ...

Comment

I've just uploaded an updated version of Miller's Court.

Still not happy with it yet. Needs more work but it's getting there.

Comment

Working...
                              X