Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - by Richard Patterson 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (29 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (15 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Errata Errata is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee, U.S.
Posts: 2,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
This is a random thought, but in keeping with the Jewish suspect theory-- what were the Jewish holy days in October? Anything that might have influenced the Ripper's apparent lull?
Simchat Torah is somewhere in October usually, but it's kind of a nothing holiday. Certainly the observance of it would require no more than a day off work for the devout. Just a small do where they roll the Torah back to the beginning.

Sukkot also sometimes falls in October, but its a harvest festival and also having no tradition that would last for a month, nor is a holiday that requires again, much more than a day off work for the devout.
__________________
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 AM
Charles Daniels Charles Daniels is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 63
Default

Not terribly helpful, but I'll chip in some thoughts

Okay

Aug 7 was a Tuesday

Sept 8 was a Saturday

Oct 9th (missed date in this pattern) was a Tuesday

Nov 9th was a Friday


So maybe Tuesday October 9th just wasn't a great night and a bit inconvenient for his activities.

Or maybe he tried Tuesday before, back in August and he had a bit more spot of bother and thought "From now on I'm sticking to weekends."

I really don't know. But it gives me some question marks over Tabram
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 AM
richardnunweek richardnunweek is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,214
Default

Hi,
I started the 'Thirty nine theory '' years ago. , it was dismissed as pure numerology .
Starting with Martha Tabram's 39 stab wounds, the rest followed into the pattern, even ending with 26, Dorset street., room 13 .
But like all speculation it was dismissed.
Regards Richard.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 AM
Charles Daniels Charles Daniels is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi,
I started the 'Thirty nine theory '' years ago. , it was dismissed as pure numerology .
Starting with Martha Tabram's 39 stab wounds, the rest followed into the pattern, even ending with 26, Dorset street., room 13 .
But like all speculation it was dismissed.
Regards Richard.
Hello Richard,

I think one key reason that people become sceptical of numerology is that the source of the numbers, even within a single theory, keep changing.

For instance, if you a series of victims and each one was stabbed 39 times, I think most people would agree to a pattern.

If each of the victims lived at 39 SuchandSuch Street, again most would concede you should take extra caution if your address happened to be 39 something.

Most numerology arguments tend to go -

The first victim was stabbed 39 times, the second victim was 20 and the third victim was 19, the fourth victim lived 3.9 miles away from the other victims, and the fifth victim was £1.95 behind on their rent which is 39x5 (five for the fifth victim), the sixth victim was murdered on the 39 hours after the fifth victim...

And so on and so on.

It becomes difficult for people to imagine a killer, or anybody, thinking of things this way and having all these facts at hand.

Even if a numerological argument is less elaborate, people tend to dismiss them much as they do conspiracy theories.

However, the existence of numerology does prove, if nothing else, that SOME people do think of numbers in this way and DO allow these numbers to guide or influence their actions.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Fantomas Fantomas is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gorbals, Glasgow
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I doubt the the nights of the killing were bright moonlit nights.
Good point.

All the dates fall on either no moon (new moon) or quarter moon-into-new-moon.

Records viewable here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar...1888&country=9

All these murders took place in darkness and in the opposite of bright, moonlit nights.

Now. If we go the (slightly misogynist) theory that the killer was a pre menstrual woman or man motivated by hunting out menstruating women, the lunar cycle is not insignificant.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,062
Default

Since the likelihood is that 1 killer can be linked with only 3 Canonical Murders, by the circumstantial and physical evidence, looking for patterns using 6 murders is an exercise in futility. The 3 murders I refer to are Polly Nichols....soliciting for doss money when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds,...Annie Chapman, soliciting for doss money when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds, and Kate Eddowes, possibly soliciting when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds. Mary Kelly was of course at home in bed, and Liz was apparently not soliciting but in Berner Street for some other purpose, and, obviously, she is missing ALL the relevant injuries.

People have been forever grouping these victims and looking at moon phases, days and weeks of the month of the murders, the fact that they were unfortunates, mere throat cuts, as a way of establishing some pattern that might reveal what went on here.

Perhaps police work might help enlighten those people, because discovering MOTIVE is what leads to criminals. the motive for killing the 3 women I mentioned seems to have been to kill and mutilate. We have no idea why Mary was killed, nor do we have any idea why Liz was killed.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:46 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Since the likelihood is that 1 killer can be linked with only 3 Canonical Murders, by the circumstantial and physical evidence, looking for patterns using 6 murders is an exercise in futility. The 3 murders I refer to are Polly Nichols....soliciting for doss money when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds,...Annie Chapman, soliciting for doss money when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds, and Kate Eddowes, possibly soliciting when she met her killer, double throat cut, abdominal wounds. Mary Kelly was of course at home in bed, and Liz was apparently not soliciting but in Berner Street for some other purpose, and, obviously, she is missing ALL the relevant injuries.

People have been forever grouping these victims and looking at moon phases, days and weeks of the month of the murders, the fact that they were unfortunates, mere throat cuts, as a way of establishing some pattern that might reveal what went on here.

Perhaps police work might help enlighten those people, because discovering MOTIVE is what leads to criminals. the motive for killing the 3 women I mentioned seems to have been to kill and mutilate. We have no idea why Mary was killed, nor do we have any idea why Liz was killed.
I have an idea why Mary Kelly was killed. I also have an idea why Annie Chapman was killed.
Oddly, they both had their abdominal walls completely cut away in 3 (Kelly) and 4 (Chapman) large pieces of skin with subcutaneous tissue attaching. To me, this puts it well beyond doubt that they had the same killer.

I know that I have mentioned this before, but it very much belongs to the picture - extremely rare damage like this is exactly how we can tie victims together.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Perhaps police work might help enlighten those people, because discovering MOTIVE is what leads to criminals. the motive for killing the 3 women I mentioned seems to have been to kill and mutilate. We have no idea why Mary was killed, nor do we have any idea why Liz was killed.
Well, Mary was killed and mutilated after all. Liz is an entirely different matter - she died a death whose characteristics bear close comparison with several other victims in LVP Whitechapel, none of whom are now seriously ascribed to Jack the Ripper.

If there is a common pattern, it's that all the victims - whether Jack's or not - seem to have been relatively "soft targets". Of course, this tells us a lot about the victims, and precious little about the murderers themselves.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-2017, 06:16 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I have an idea why Mary Kelly was killed. I also have an idea why Annie Chapman was killed.
Oddly, they both had their abdominal walls completely cut away in 3 (Kelly) and 4 (Chapman) large pieces of skin with subcutaneous tissue attaching. To me, this puts it well beyond doubt that they had the same killer.

I know that I have mentioned this before, but it very much belongs to the picture - extremely rare damage like this is exactly how we can tie victims together.
Yep.

Liz was not cut open as her condition was hereditary and of little interest to Jack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heredi...e:Case_115.jpg
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I have an idea why Mary Kelly was killed. I also have an idea why Annie Chapman was killed.
Oddly, they both had their abdominal walls completely cut away in 3 (Kelly) and 4 (Chapman) large pieces of skin with subcutaneous tissue attaching. To me, this puts it well beyond doubt that they had the same killer.

I know that I have mentioned this before, but it very much belongs to the picture - extremely rare damage like this is exactly how we can tie victims together.
Perhaps if there had been no Polly Nichols you might have a point Fish, but Annies murder is by far more easily connected with Annie than Marys is. Apart from the obvious differing locale, injuries and age, we know of a possible motive with Mary. there is no such evidence with Annie...she was randomly selected, just like Polly.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.