Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by Herlock Sholmes 2 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Just my theory. - by Callmebill 6 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Were Belle Elmore’s remains that proved she wasn’t related to her living relatives an - by jmenges 6 minutes ago.
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - by Joshua Rogan 12 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by curious 35 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - by Joshua Rogan 36 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (35 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (34 posts)
Witnesses: Why Buck's Row? - (27 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Can we profile the Ripper from the GSG? - (25 posts)
General Police Discussion: Lost police records & documents............... - (22 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Ann Nichols

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,219
Default Double throat cuts

Daily Telegraph 3rd Sept, Dr Llewellyn's inquest testimony;

"On the left side of the neck, about an inch below the jaw, there was an incision about four inches long and running from a point immediately below the ear. An inch below on the same side, and commencing about an inch in front of it, was a circular incision terminating at a point about three inches below the right jaw. This incision completely severs all the tissues down to the vertebrae. The large vessels of the neck on both sides were severed. The incision is about eight inches long. These cuts must have been caused with a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence."

Can anyone suggest why there were two cuts to Polly's neck? Were they just random slashes, or was there a purpose behind them? I can only think of one, as follows;
The shorter cut to the left side came first, with the head turned to the left and the knife under the neck. This would mean that any potential arterial spray would be directed away from the killer and onto the pavement. Once the initial bloodflow had subsided, Jack was then free to make the more substantial cuts to throat and abdomen with much less risk of becoming blood-splattered.

Does that make sense? Or are there other explanations for the shorter cut?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Daily Telegraph 3rd Sept, Dr Llewellyn's inquest testimony;

"On the left side of the neck, about an inch below the jaw, there was an incision about four inches long and running from a point immediately below the ear. An inch below on the same side, and commencing about an inch in front of it, was a circular incision terminating at a point about three inches below the right jaw. This incision completely severs all the tissues down to the vertebrae. The large vessels of the neck on both sides were severed. The incision is about eight inches long. These cuts must have been caused with a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence."

Can anyone suggest why there were two cuts to Polly's neck? Were they just random slashes, or was there a purpose behind them? I can only think of one, as follows;
The shorter cut to the left side came first, with the head turned to the left and the knife under the neck. This would mean that any potential arterial spray would be directed away from the killer and onto the pavement. Once the initial bloodflow had subsided, Jack was then free to make the more substantial cuts to throat and abdomen with much less risk of becoming blood-splattered.

Does that make sense? Or are there other explanations for the shorter cut?
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?


Anyone else care to join in


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?

Hi Steve

There could be a tentative first cut on Eddowes:
"A superficial cut commenced about an inch and a half below the lobe below, and about two and a half inches behind the left ear, and extended across the throat to about three inches below the lobe of the right ear. "
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?


Anyone else care to join in


Steve
"The throat had been severed as before described. the incisions into the skin indicated that they had been made from the left side of the neck. There were two distinct clean cuts on the left side of the spine. They were parallel with each other and separated by about half an inch. The muscular structures appeared as though an attempt had made to separate the bones of the neck'

That's from Annie Chapmans evidence. 2 distinct cuts.

"All the deep structures were severed to the bone, the knife marking intervertebral cartilages" That's from Kates evidence, although not 2 specific separate cuts made, same deep cutting.

As you say there is no way to be sure with Mary, though its likely she was the first one who had her throat cut while she could resist.

Liz is the only simple single cut.

The nicks to the spine, from my vantage point, could easily have been the result of an overly aggressive approach to ensure swift bleed out.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?


Anyone else care to join in


Steve
My belief is that the killer was behind her when her throat was cut. He plunged the knife deep into the throat front and centre, and then drew the knife across. The knife was in deep enough to almost sever the head as was described.

The angle of the facial wounds is also suggestive of that, and perhaps these injuries occurred when she was struggling to avoid having her throat cut.

It is noticeable that there were no other similar facial wounds to any of the other victims which you might expect to find if they were all killed by the same hand.

Dr Biggs has stated that there is not always arterial spray in these circumstances.

The exception being Kelly but her face was mutilated in a different way by what would appear to have been a blunt object.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
"The throat had been severed as before described. the incisions into the skin indicated that they had been made from the left side of the neck. There were two distinct clean cuts on the left side of the spine. They were parallel with each other and separated by about half an inch. The muscular structures appeared as though an attempt had made to separate the bones of the neck'

That's from Annie Chapmans evidence. 2 distinct cuts.
Hi Michael.
No issue with Two cuts to spine, it is less clear there were two at the surface.
However if there were they were very close to each other.

Sorry my wording may not be perfect.

How about 2 distinct cuts at the surface not directly next to each other or something like that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
"All the deep structures were severed to the bone, the knife marking intervertebral cartilages" That's from Kates evidence, although not 2 specific separate cuts made, same deep cutting.
Again agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
As you say there is no way to be sure with Mary, though its likely she was the first one who had her throat cut while she could resist.

Liz is the only simple single cut.

The nicks to the spine, from my vantage point, could easily have been the result of an overly aggressive approach to ensure swift bleed out.
Certainly carried out with force.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
My belief is that the killer was behind her when her throat was cut. He plunged the knife deep into the throat front and centre, and then drew the knife across. The knife was in deep enough to almost sever the head as was described.

The angle of the facial wounds is also suggestive of that, and perhaps these injuries occurred when she was struggling to avoid having her throat cut.

It is noticeable that there were no other similar facial wounds to any of the other victims which you might expect to find if they were all killed by the same hand.

Dr Biggs has stated that there is not always arterial spray in these circumstances.

The exception being Kelly but her face was mutilated in a different way by what would appear to have been a blunt object.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Hi Trevor no issue with most of that at all.

Only issue I have and it's only minor, what leads you to suggest blunt object on Kelly face?

Really not being argumentative just wonder what leads there?

Is it from one of your medical experts?


Anyway it's not important .

All the best


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Hi Trevor no issue with most of that at all.

Only issue I have and it's only minor, what leads you to suggest blunt object on Kelly face?

Really not being argumentative just wonder what leads there?

Is it from one of your medical experts?


Anyway it's not important .

All the best


Steve
Mary had a flap of skin above her eyes cut across, and it hung down over her eyes in the photo. It was said he face was slashed repeatedly, back and forth. No mention of any blunt force trauma.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?

Anyone else care to join in

Steve
Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could please help me.

There is a medical phrase from the Chapman inquest: "There were two distinct clean cuts on the body of the vertebrae...".

What does "the body" mean?

How would you describe the wounds on the throat to someone who is not a medical?

Thanks a lot!

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,259
Default

[quote=Elamarna;421527]

Quote:
Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?
Hi Steve,

I didn´t know that.

Is that well established?

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.