Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Sam Flynn 15 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Michael W Richards 23 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by S.Brett 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Robert St Devil 4 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Robert St Devil 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (11 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (7 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (2 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-11-2017, 03:40 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Perhaps if CE had not spent the night in jail,she might have been with ES and BS man.
The handbill found near CE for a Frank Carter is curious.
There was a member of the Royal Engineers by that name.
Surmise he was enlisted as muscle for a blackmail payoff.
That last bit strikes a chord with me anyway, whether or not you meant it facetiously or not. I think a plausible storyline exists if we consider the ex landlady's statement as accurately recounted, and if we assume because of the many discrepancies in the tale John weaves about their last 24 hours, that something was afoot...then you have a story that might place Kate in the middle of a dangerous blackmail attempt gone horribly wrong. She gets drunk that afternoon, despite having no money that we are aware of and daylight conditions restricting any solicitation had she may have considered. Though I don't see any records that suggest she solicited often...or regularly.

Her claim to the landlady reaches the ears of a person or people who believe that they are the ones she will squeal on for one or more of the previous murders, someone arranges a meeting so they can discover what she really knows, maybe she makes those arrangements Friday night, and that afternoon they ply her with alcohol to get her defenses down. She goes from the jail to an agreed meeting place for 1am, but she is late because of the jail stint, so when she meets the man with the scarf she is supposed to meet with she places a hand on his chest in relief as she tells him why she was late.

These murders have been assumed to have been without a discernable motive and therefore likely committed by someone who was mentally ill... but I suggest that an undiscovered motive is very different than motiveless.

I can see possible motives for both of the Double Event killings.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
curious curious is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Perhaps if CE had not spent the night in jail,she might have been with ES and BS man.
The handbill found near CE for a Frank Carter is curious.
There was a member of the Royal Engineers by that name.
Surmise he was enlisted as muscle for a blackmail payoff.
Would you please explain further?

Who was being blackmailed? By whom? and Why?

Thanks,

curious
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,304
Default

I believe Henry Gawen Sutton was being blackmailed by the five women.due to his sexual orientation.
Dates back to 1860s when Mary Kelly was a child and both were members of St Leonard's Church,Shoreditch.
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
That last bit strikes a chord with me anyway, whether or not you meant it facetiously or not. I think a plausible storyline exists if we consider the ex landlady's statement as accurately recounted, and if we assume because of the many discrepancies in the tale John weaves about their last 24 hours, that something was afoot...then you have a story that might place Kate in the middle of a dangerous blackmail attempt gone horribly wrong. She gets drunk that afternoon, despite having no money that we are aware of and daylight conditions restricting any solicitation had she may have considered. Though I don't see any records that suggest she solicited often...or regularly.

Her claim to the landlady reaches the ears of a person or people who believe that they are the ones she will squeal on for one or more of the previous murders, someone arranges a meeting so they can discover what she really knows, maybe she makes those arrangements Friday night, and that afternoon they ply her with alcohol to get her defenses down. She goes from the jail to an agreed meeting place for 1am, but she is late because of the jail stint, so when she meets the man with the scarf she is supposed to meet with she places a hand on his chest in relief as she tells him why she was late.

These murders have been assumed to have been without a discernable motive and therefore likely committed by someone who was mentally ill... but I suggest that an undiscovered motive is very different than motiveless.
I can see possible motives for both of the Double Event killings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00094-0102.pdf

I have mentioned victims ....... um,patients 2 and 7 previously.

The strep lives on in the intestines.
Mainly invades heart and kidneys.
My family has a history of it.

Immediately before Eddowes goes hopping,Nichols moves in next door.
Kate returns seeking a reward.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

Look familiar?
ES?

The other three women all lived in Dorset Street before they were killed.

Chapman had TB.

Mary Ann Kelly appears to be the "ring leader".
Local girl,which is why no one has found her in Ireland.

I picked up a strep infection in 1982.
Used to be called Neurasthenia.
Today it is often referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Tends to interfere with my posts.
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
The other three women all lived in Dorset Street before they were killed.
...along with about 800 other people! Besides, Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly lived practically at opposite ends of Dorset Street, and there was a fairly substantial age-gap betwen them; nothing to suggest they'd have moved in the same circles, still less that they'd have been acquainted with one another.

The idea of Polly Nichols being acquainted with the others is even less likely. Nichols spent most of her solo adult life in Lambeth, between April 1882 and May 1888, working for a couple of months in Wandsworth, before moving to Gray's Inn Workhouse for 1st to 2nd August 1888. In other words, she could only have arrived in Whitechapel within 4 weeks of of her death at most; during that time she lived in Thrawl Street and Flower & Dean, spending what must have only been the briefest of spells in Dorset Steet itself.

Similar logical and logistical stumbling-blocks apply to the idea that Eddowes and Stride were acquainted, either with each other or the rest of the canonical victims.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 08-12-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-12-2017, 03:49 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
I believe Henry Gawen Sutton was being blackmailed by the five women.due to his sexual orientation.
Dates back to 1860s when Mary Kelly was a child and both were members of St Leonard's Church,Shoreditch.
Sounds like a good movie.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Sounds like a good movie.
Yep. Thanks!

Found an independent production company near one of the murder sites the other day,when doing some fact checking.
Was a pub owned by one of landlords at the time.
Might contact them next week.

Had the screenplay in my head for many years.
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:44 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
...along with about 800 other people! Besides, Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly lived practically at opposite ends of Dorset Street, and there was a fairly substantial age-gap betwen them; nothing to suggest they'd have moved in the same circles, still less that they'd have been acquainted with one another.

The idea of Polly Nichols being acquainted with the others is even less likely. Nichols spent most of her solo adult life in Lambeth, between April 1882 and May 1888, working for a couple of months in Wandsworth, before moving to Gray's Inn Workhouse for 1st to 2nd August 1888. In other words, she could only have arrived in Whitechapel within 4 weeks of of her death at most; during that time she lived in Thrawl Street and Flower & Dean, spending what must have only been the briefest of spells in Dorset Steet itself.

"Mary Kelly lived at 26 and Little Paternoster.
Chapman at 30 and 35.One of those was the corner of Little Paternoster.
Stride at 38.

Nichols and Eddowes next door to each other.
Might have known each for over 20 years.

Thrawl Street was another common denominator.

These women were thrown together by their circumstances at that time.

I live in a small mountain hamlet.
Brought up in Melbourne,let's say 100 Km away,with my brother and sister.
Chap across the road hails from Geelong,50 Km away.
He shared a house in Geelong with my sister's sons.
His current landlord knew my brother well. Same classes at school.
He knows me.
Small world."

Similar logical and logistical stumbling-blocks apply to the idea that Eddowes and Stride were acquainted, either with each other or the rest of the canonical victims.
"I'm not only linking the women geographically,but also to Jack the Ripper.
Seems logical and logistical to me."
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
"I'm not only linking the women geographically,but also to Jack the Ripper. Seems logical and logistical to me."
You mean they knew him, and he them?

Unlikely, for the same reasons that all (or even some of) the victims are unlikely to have known each other in any meaningful sense.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 08-12-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 AM
curious curious is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00094-0102.pdf

I have mentioned victims ....... um,patients 2 and 7 previously.

The strep lives on in the intestines.
Mainly invades heart and kidneys.
My family has a history of it.

Immediately before Eddowes goes hopping,Nichols moves in next door.
Kate returns seeking a reward.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

Look familiar?
ES?

The other three women all lived in Dorset Street before they were killed.

Chapman had TB.

Mary Ann Kelly appears to be the "ring leader".
Local girl,which is why no one has found her in Ireland.

I picked up a strep infection in 1982.
Used to be called Neurasthenia.
Today it is often referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Tends to interfere with my posts.
Very interesting. I was seeing book, Harry D, movie. Thanks for the information.

curious
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.