Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - by Richard Patterson 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (29 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (15 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I see. But we need the real sources, not the view on the "poor" if we want to give examples from the East End and not from the field of literature.

You see, David, people here (some) believe that the expression is pure and simple cockney from the street in Victorian Whitechapel.
My dear boy, you are, as usual, confused. No-one is saying, or has said, that the expression "not for nothing" is "pure and simple cockney from the street in Victorian Whitechapel".

In fact, no-one has referred to the expression "not for nothing" at all because it is not part of the Ripper case.

But the use of the double negative in a sentence such as, to take a random example, "the men who will not be blamed for nothing" is pure cockney, although not only cockney by any means.

I gave you an "authentic" example of such use of double negative by a London prisoner who said "I ain't done nothing" when arrested.

In the expression "not for nothing", a true double negative is not to be found, so it's completely different from any expression relating to the Ripper case which it seems I'm not allowed to mention in this thread.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk

Last edited by David Orsam : 06-05-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,493
Default

Links about Cockney double negatives

http://proper-english-foundatio.yola...-negatives.php

http://publicdomainreview.org/collec...an-slang-1909/

I have found that double-negatives appear in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, so it seems to date back to Old English usage.

The 1909 A Dictionary of Victorian Slang is a out-of-copyright book (also known as being "in public domain") which you may download in PDF format, and use for research.
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Scott Nelson Scott Nelson is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,104
Default

Would someone be lees inclined to write a sentence with a double negative as opposed to speaking one?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Would someone be lees inclined to write a sentence with a double negative as opposed to speaking one?
Possibly vary be education and context of the writing.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Flower and Dean Flower and Dean is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 51
Default

This again? Are you on a quest to populate the forum with your thoughts on the GSG, Pierre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
My dear boy, you are, as usual, confused. No-one is saying, or has said, that the expression "not for nothing" is "pure and simple cockney from the street in Victorian Whitechapel".

In fact, no-one has referred to the expression "not for nothing" at all because it is not part of the Ripper case.

But the use of the double negative in a sentence such as, to take a random example, "the men who will not be blamed for nothing" is pure cockney, although not only cockney by any means.

I gave you an "authentic" example of such use of double negative by a London prisoner who said "I ain't done nothing" when arrested.

In the expression "not for nothing", a true double negative is not to be found, so it's completely different from any expression relating to the Ripper case which it seems I'm not allowed to mention in this thread.
If this doesn't make it clear, I don't know what will.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
But why are we comparing with "not for nothing"? What does the expression "not for nothing" have to do with the Ripper case?
Because Pierre has a found something that his suspect wrote that uses the phrase not for nothing.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower and Dean View Post
This again? Are you on a quest to populate the forum with your thoughts on the GSG, Pierre?



If this doesn't make it clear, I don't know what will.
I think he is on a quest to drive everyone insane with his rubbish.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Because Pierre has a found something that his suspect wrote that uses the phrase not for nothing.
But didn't he tell us the other day that he has no suspect, in spite of his first ever post being "I think I've found him"
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 AM
The Good Michael The Good Michael is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hsinchu, Taiwan
Posts: 3,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
But didn't he tell us the other day that he has no suspect, in spite of his first ever post being "I think I've found him"
I remember something like this: "I know who's done it, but I have to do more research to prove that it isn't him. If it were him, as my current research has uncovered and thus far, is irrefutable, it would be bad. I sincerely want to be wrong, but I fear I am right."

This kind of thing. It was dramatic bullshit and meant nothing then, and less now.

Mike
__________________
huh?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 AM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Michael View Post
I remember something like this: "I know who's done it, but I have to do more research to prove that it isn't him. If it were him, as my current research has uncovered and thus far, is irrefutable, it would be bad. I sincerely want to be wrong, but I fear I am right."

This kind of thing. It was dramatic bullshit and meant nothing then, and less now.

Mike
Sums it up nicely in my opinion.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.