Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by GUT 21 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Hunter 22 minutes ago.
Other: Ripper Novel? - by Simon Wood 43 minutes ago.
Other: Ripper Novel? - by WastelandOfTheRipper 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Other: Ripper Novel? - by Pcdunn 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.
Other: Ripper Novel? - by WastelandOfTheRipper 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Police Discussion: Kelly inquest/Smithkey - (25 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (17 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (8 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Weapons used on Mary? - (8 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Strictly personal ID - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Cohen, David

Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Sergeant

I am only somewhat familiar with the David Cohen/Kaminsky theory and so I reread the relevant suspect pages. One thing that struck me as incredibly strange is that he died from "exhaustion from mania." If this occurred, it would incredibly rare. Excluding suicides and accidents, people with bipolar disorder do not die in manic episodes, or immediately afterward. I suppose it might be strenuous on the heart, but Cohen was reasonably young. The closest thing I can come up with is a stimulant overdose, which certainly produces manic symptoms and can produce heart failure. But this obviously wasn't the case here.

The behavioral description could fit a paranoid schizophrenic, someone with bipolar disorder, or even someone with pervasive developmental/intellectual disabilities (the self-injurious behavior resonates with this). But none of these would explain his death.

I'm thinking that the most likely explanation that would explain both this aberrant behavior and his rather rapid decline is a brain tumor. Does anyone know if an autopsy was performed?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I am only somewhat familiar with the David Cohen/Kaminsky theory and so I reread the relevant suspect pages. One thing that struck me as incredibly strange is that he died from "exhaustion from mania." If this occurred, it would incredibly rare. Excluding suicides and accidents, people with bipolar disorder do not die in manic episodes, or immediately afterward. I suppose it might be strenuous on the heart, but Cohen was reasonably young. The closest thing I can come up with is a stimulant overdose, which certainly produces manic symptoms and can produce heart failure. But this obviously wasn't the case here.

The behavioral description could fit a paranoid schizophrenic, someone with bipolar disorder, or even someone with pervasive developmental/intellectual disabilities (the self-injurious behavior resonates with this). But none of these would explain his death.

I'm thinking that the most likely explanation that would explain both this aberrant behavior and his rather rapid decline is a brain tumor. Does anyone know if an autopsy was performed?
Exhaustion death is pretty rare, but up to about the 60s there was nothing people could do about it. It's a classic death with a rare kind of mania, but what we are likely talking about here is a death due to the sheer toll not sleeping takes on the body over a period of months or years. And this is beyond insomnia. This is total sleep deprivation occasionally broken by collapse into an exhausted sleep without a REM period. It's incredibly scary. And incredibly taxing on the body. Death is typically from a stroke or heart attack. And of course any physiological problems already present are going to hasten death. It's certainly possible that someone with a heart murmur could live a long and productive life, but without sleep they don't have a chance. Without any kind of treatment it doesn't particularly matter how young and healthy a person is. The effects on blood pressure alone are more than enough to cause death after one year.

And of course, we aren't talking about someone who is receiving the finest medical care available. All things considered he is probably malnourished and any physical problem or illness is being ignored in favor of staying the hell out of his way. And there likely was abuse. It's a bad recipe for continued survival.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Very constructive, Errata! Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm glad that you're at least not ruling Cohen out as a suspect. I will have to defer to your superior knowledge on the matter, unless someone is willing to challenge your assertions. Just out of curiosity, do you mind telling me what your background is?
Some who has been diagnosed with a mental illness since the age of 8, medicated since 10, about 10 years wondering why the hell me and then about 6 years of school to figure that out, and then running groups and services for the mentally ill.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Constable

<< If he was in fact Schizophrenic it's entirely possible for him to be asymptomatic up until his 30s. >>

I was watching some documentary on schizophrenia (and if it was on youtube, it has to be true!) and I thought they mentioned that if someone had not presented schizophrenic symptoms in their teen years, it's not going to crop up later in life.

I guess this isn't actually the case?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Inspector

Not the case.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Constable

Oh god....so we're all still in danger, and could go off any minute.

Great.