Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 10 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 11 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by curious 11 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 12 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by RockySullivan 13 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 22 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (7 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Ann Nichols

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,456
Default Double throat cuts

Daily Telegraph 3rd Sept, Dr Llewellyn's inquest testimony;

"On the left side of the neck, about an inch below the jaw, there was an incision about four inches long and running from a point immediately below the ear. An inch below on the same side, and commencing about an inch in front of it, was a circular incision terminating at a point about three inches below the right jaw. This incision completely severs all the tissues down to the vertebrae. The large vessels of the neck on both sides were severed. The incision is about eight inches long. These cuts must have been caused with a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence."

Can anyone suggest why there were two cuts to Polly's neck? Were they just random slashes, or was there a purpose behind them? I can only think of one, as follows;
The shorter cut to the left side came first, with the head turned to the left and the knife under the neck. This would mean that any potential arterial spray would be directed away from the killer and onto the pavement. Once the initial bloodflow had subsided, Jack was then free to make the more substantial cuts to throat and abdomen with much less risk of becoming blood-splattered.

Does that make sense? Or are there other explanations for the shorter cut?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Daily Telegraph 3rd Sept, Dr Llewellyn's inquest testimony;

"On the left side of the neck, about an inch below the jaw, there was an incision about four inches long and running from a point immediately below the ear. An inch below on the same side, and commencing about an inch in front of it, was a circular incision terminating at a point about three inches below the right jaw. This incision completely severs all the tissues down to the vertebrae. The large vessels of the neck on both sides were severed. The incision is about eight inches long. These cuts must have been caused with a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence."

Can anyone suggest why there were two cuts to Polly's neck? Were they just random slashes, or was there a purpose behind them? I can only think of one, as follows;
The shorter cut to the left side came first, with the head turned to the left and the knife under the neck. This would mean that any potential arterial spray would be directed away from the killer and onto the pavement. Once the initial bloodflow had subsided, Jack was then free to make the more substantial cuts to throat and abdomen with much less risk of becoming blood-splattered.

Does that make sense? Or are there other explanations for the shorter cut?
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?


Anyone else care to join in


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?

Hi Steve

There could be a tentative first cut on Eddowes:
"A superficial cut commenced about an inch and a half below the lobe below, and about two and a half inches behind the left ear, and extended across the throat to about three inches below the lobe of the right ear. "
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post

Quote:
Hi Steve

There could be a tentative first cut on Eddowes:
"A superficial cut commenced about an inch and a half below the lobe below, and about two and a half inches behind the left ear, and extended across the throat to about three inches below the lobe of the right ear. "
Hi Jon,

In murders where there were throat cuts: how common were such cuts?

Were all / some of these cuts "tentative"?

What does a suggestion about a cut being "tentative" say about the Whitechapel killer - if anything at all?

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,645
Lightbulb

Hi Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
In murders where there were throat cuts: how common were such cuts?
Specifically, which sort of throat cuts do you refer to ?
Double throat cuts ?

Quote:
Were all / some of these cuts "tentative"?
Quote:
What does a suggestion about a cut being "tentative" say about the Whitechapel killer - if anything at all?
Tentative was just an adjective I picked in reference to Dr Brown`s superficial cut reference. Also, cos I wasn`t sure Dr Brown was referring to a second cut.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Jon Guy;421922]

Quote:
Hi Pierre

Specifically, which sort of throat cuts do you refer to ?
Double throat cuts ?
Yes, double cuts. Were they common?

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Not random I think,

Your suggestion works.

However the same is seen in Chapman, Kelly and to a lesser degree in Mackenzie.
Nichols is the only one with two distinctly seperate cuts at the surface.
It could be that the two cuts are an attempt to ensure all the vessels are cut.
That might suggest in the Nichols case that for some reason the first cut failed.
The reason for such could be debated but should surely include:
He was distracted by something and the knife left the wound. A passing train?
Nichols moved a little herself, having the same effect.

In the Chapman and Kelly cases it seems neither cut missed, although it is hard to be sure with Kelly. Mackenzie is either two somewhat incomplete cuts or a copycat , who knows.

Some may suggest ritual, that however leaves Stride and Eddowes, Stride could be explained away as either he was disturbed as many suspect of it was a different killer.

Eddowes is left as the only single cut. Why?


Anyone else care to join in


Steve
"The throat had been severed as before described. the incisions into the skin indicated that they had been made from the left side of the neck. There were two distinct clean cuts on the left side of the spine. They were parallel with each other and separated by about half an inch. The muscular structures appeared as though an attempt had made to separate the bones of the neck'

That's from Annie Chapmans evidence. 2 distinct cuts.

"All the deep structures were severed to the bone, the knife marking intervertebral cartilages" That's from Kates evidence, although not 2 specific separate cuts made, same deep cutting.

As you say there is no way to be sure with Mary, though its likely she was the first one who had her throat cut while she could resist.

Liz is the only simple single cut.

The nicks to the spine, from my vantage point, could easily have been the result of an overly aggressive approach to ensure swift bleed out.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
"The throat had been severed as before described. the incisions into the skin indicated that they had been made from the left side of the neck. There were two distinct clean cuts on the left side of the spine. They were parallel with each other and separated by about half an inch. The muscular structures appeared as though an attempt had made to separate the bones of the neck'

That's from Annie Chapmans evidence. 2 distinct cuts.
Hi Michael.
No issue with Two cuts to spine, it is less clear there were two at the surface.
However if there were they were very close to each other.

Sorry my wording may not be perfect.

How about 2 distinct cuts at the surface not directly next to each other or something like that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
"All the deep structures were severed to the bone, the knife marking intervertebral cartilages" That's from Kates evidence, although not 2 specific separate cuts made, same deep cutting.
Again agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
As you say there is no way to be sure with Mary, though its likely she was the first one who had her throat cut while she could resist.

Liz is the only simple single cut.

The nicks to the spine, from my vantage point, could easily have been the result of an overly aggressive approach to ensure swift bleed out.
Certainly carried out with force.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Elamarna;421534]

Michael wrote:

Quote:
The nicks to the spine, from my vantage point, could easily have been the result of an overly aggressive approach to ensure swift bleed out.
Steve, you said:

Quote:
Certainly carried out with force.
Is that not always an observation in throat cuts?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,714
Default

[quote=Pierre;421822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post

Michael wrote:



Steve, you said:



Is that not always an observation in throat cuts?

Not always. To cut all the vessels one does not need to use enough force to cut into the bone.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.