Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Joshua Rogan 16 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Michael W Richards 20 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Jon Guy 27 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by OneRound 34 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Harry D 41 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 44 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (36 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (21 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (9 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (7 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 AM
Charles Daniels Charles Daniels is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 63
Default The fair weather fiend?

Hello,

Not written very much about JtR ever.
But have had a strong interest.

Now, please shoot me down in flames.
I'm begging you to, because that's how I could learn more.

But I've had this idea brewing of the fair weather fiend.

Assuming for a moment that most, if not all, the murders were by the same hand.

We have a slew of murders in August and September 1888.
Knowing the East End like I do, these seem like sensible times to be wandering around in the middle of the night.

We get Mary Jane Kelly in November, and that just happens to be an indoor murder.

We don't really have any interesting cases to look at again until Elizabeth Jackson and Alice McKenzie, which brings us back to June and July.

So I'm wondering if the murderer simply didn't want to be out and about in the middle of the night when it was too cold.

Rain didn't seem to bother him, but one thing I have come to appreciate myself after moving to the UK is that rainy nights are in some way better for being out late at night, as they can make for warmer nights.

So me personally I see Alice McKenzie as a compelling case for the last actual JtR murder.

And the absence being explained away by the lovely English weather.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2016, 03:22 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Daniels View Post
Hello,

Not written very much about JtR ever.
But have had a strong interest.

Now, please shoot me down in flames.
I'm begging you to, because that's how I could learn more.

But I've had this idea brewing of the fair weather fiend.

Assuming for a moment that most, if not all, the murders were by the same hand.

We have a slew of murders in August and September 1888.
Knowing the East End like I do, these seem like sensible times to be wandering around in the middle of the night.

We get Mary Jane Kelly in November, and that just happens to be an indoor murder.

We don't really have any interesting cases to look at again until Elizabeth Jackson and Alice McKenzie, which brings us back to June and July.

So I'm wondering if the murderer simply didn't want to be out and about in the middle of the night when it was too cold.

Rain didn't seem to bother him, but one thing I have come to appreciate myself after moving to the UK is that rainy nights are in some way better for being out late at night, as they can make for warmer nights.

So me personally I see Alice McKenzie as a compelling case for the last actual JtR murder.

And the absence being explained away by the lovely English weather.
Well spotted, Charlie.
Many of the murders did occur when it was/or had been raining.

My guess is, rather than he preferred warm weather, was that the rain kept people off the streets. The killer could also move around the streets in a hat and overcoat, which may have been necessary in remaining unrecognised, keeping blood off him, and concealing a knife.

Indeed, when he was been driven to the McKenzie murder scene, Dr Phillips noted how empty the streets were.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2016, 04:37 AM
Charles Daniels Charles Daniels is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Well spotted, Charlie.
Many of the murders did occur when it was/or had been raining.

My guess is, rather than he preferred warm weather, was that the rain kept people off the streets. The killer could also move around the streets in a hat and overcoat, which may have been necessary in remaining unrecognised, keeping blood off him, and concealing a knife.

Indeed, when he was been driven to the McKenzie murder scene, Dr Phillips noted how empty the streets were.
There are a couple of variable at play here.

Of course it seems that being a bank holiday or the weekend certainly helped, and I'm tempted to make the usual jokes about it being rainy because of the bank holiday, as some function of sod's law.

But actually, thinking it through -- could it be tied, at least somewhat, to the availability of victims? I'm not entirely sure.

What I mean is -- could there simply have been a lot more prostitutes about in the warmer summer months?

Could they have been less thick on the ground in the winter months where doing trade outdoors would be less appealing?

There would be the year round demand for the business - but maybe victims are just thinner on the ground in the winter? I'm not really sure how much of a deterrent cold weather might be.

And I like your observations about the wardrobe possibilities -- but my gut would be that the killer was more free and able to commit murders on weekends. And the rain may have been entirely coincidental.

Of course I guess I could read through weather reports if any existed for the summers of 1888 and 1889 and see if more clement weekends were skipped out or if there was any pattern there.

Anyway, cheers Jon! You're my first reply on the message boards!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Fantomas Fantomas is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gorbals, Glasgow
Posts: 44
Default

Yes there is method and opportunity. Kosminski is deleted as a suspect immediately in that regard, IMHO.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,428
Default

I am wondering if the rainy weather could have affected the killer's mental state exacerbating his desire to kill.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,438
Default

If rainy weather made people want to kill more, the streets of Britain would be littered with corpses.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
If rainy weather made people want to kill more, the streets of Britain would be littered with corpses.
Nice one
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
If rainy weather made people want to kill more, the streets of Britain would be littered with corpses.
Or they're become acclimatised (clever huh??)
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 PM
ChrisGeorge ChrisGeorge is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
If rainy weather made people want to kill more, the streets of Britain would be littered with corpses.
One thing I can never understand, as a fan of the Premier League and a fan of Liverpool FC, is why in a country where rains it rains all the bloody time, they water the pitches. Would you care to explain that to me?

Cheers

Chris
__________________
Christopher T. George
Organizer, RipperCon in Baltimore
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
One thing I can never understand, as a fan of the Premier League and a fan of Liverpool FC, is why in a country where rains it rains all the bloody time, they water the pitches. Would you care to explain that to me?

Cheers

Chris
An even better question is how the heck they invented a game that needs four or five days of fine weather to play? (cricket anyone).
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.