Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Robert St Devil 4 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Pcdunn 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 6 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Abby Normal 6 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by jmenges 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (18 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (7 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: H H holmes - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 AM
Detective

Default The Green Bicycle Mystery

Just to let you all know, my book The Green Bicycle Mystery is published today, available in paperback and digital formats. It is the first title in my Cold Case Jury series.

In my view, the death of Bella Wright in 1919 is one of the most interesting stories in the canon of unsolved true crime. This new book is an updated version of the original self-published e-book (no longer available), including an additional chapter, updated text and a raft of new images, including some published for the first time. It is the first book to publish the Bowley Statement, a remarkable police document that had not been made public until recently. It also references the Hall Memoir, an unpublished account of the police constable who was first on the scene and discovered that Bella had not merely died in a tragic cycling accident.

What happened to Bella Wright? Please take your seat on the Cold Case Jury...
Attached Images

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Superintendent

Congratulations on the new book, CCJ. Best of luck with it!

Not much of a mystery to me. Whether unwittingly or not, Light definitely killed her. Edward Marshall Hall did one hell of a number on the jury.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM
Inspector

Anthony,

Amazon in the US and UK are calling this out of stock. I'll check back in a day or two.

If supplies are still low on Amazon, and you know of an alternative way to buy it and have it shipped to the US please let me know.

Thanks,

JM
Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
Anthony,

Amazon in the US and UK are calling this out of stock. I'll check back in a day or two.

If supplies are still low on Amazon, and you know of an alternative way to buy it and have it shipped to the US please let me know.

Thanks,

JM
JM, thank you. I am aware of this. Apparently the book has sold out in 8 Amazon centres around the world! I am told by my publisher, Mirror Books, they are being restocked in next 48 hours.

Many apologies - some things are beyond the author's control.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Congratulations on the new book, CCJ. Best of luck with it!

Not much of a mystery to me. Whether unwittingly or not, Light definitely killed her. Edward Marshall Hall did one hell of a number on the jury.
Ah, but even if you are sure of that, was it murder or manslaughter? Have you read the Bowley Statement?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 AM
Inspector

Good luck with the book... Not that it sounds like you need much luck, if it's already sold out eight times over!

Can I ask if you think that the Bowley statement is genuine?

Also, did PC Hall find an actual bullet at the crime scene, or an empty bullet-case? Reports seem to differ...
Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Good luck with the book... Not that it sounds like you need much luck, if it's already sold out eight times over!

Can I ask if you think that the Bowley statement is genuine?

Also, did PC Hall find an actual bullet at the crime scene, or an empty bullet-case? Reports seem to differ...
Great questions.

I believe the Bowley Statement is genuine. For my book, I had it forensically analysed and there is, in addition, strong circumstantial evidence that points to its truth. This is covered in chapters 9 and 10.

It was a bullet. Hall served in WWI and knew a bit about firearms.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Inspector

Cheers CCJ. When you say there's evidence of the statement's truth, do you mean that it's a true account of what Bowley was told, or that Light was telling the truth to Bowley?

As regards the bullet....I'm sure Hall knew what he found, but somewhere along the line (in a couple of accounts) things had become confused - including me. Thanks for straightening it out.
So this was most likely the bullet that killed Bella....but I'm still puzzled as to how it was unclear whether it was fired from a pistol or a rifle. Surely, if the whole bullet was recovered, just weighing it would be enough? As I understand it, although there were rifles of a similar calibre - such as the Martini-Henry (of Zulu fame) - the bullets they fired were much longer and thus heavier, so I'd have thought easily distinguished.

Oddly enough, I unexpectedly found myself in Little Stretton over the weekend, but it turned out to be a different village in a different county, so I didn't find the murder site or see any ravens.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Cheers CCJ. When you say there's evidence of the statement's truth, do you mean that it's a true account of what Bowley was told, or that Light was telling the truth to Bowley?

As regards the bullet....I'm sure Hall knew what he found, but somewhere along the line (in a couple of accounts) things had become confused - including me. Thanks for straightening it out.
So this was most likely the bullet that killed Bella....but I'm still puzzled as to how it was unclear whether it was fired from a pistol or a rifle. Surely, if the whole bullet was recovered, just weighing it would be enough? As I understand it, although there were rifles of a similar calibre - such as the Martini-Henry (of Zulu fame) - the bullets they fired were much longer and thus heavier, so I'd have thought easily distinguished.

Oddly enough, I unexpectedly found myself in Little Stretton over the weekend, but it turned out to be a different village in a different county, so I didn't find the murder site or see any ravens.
Joshua, you are getting into the nuances of the case - excellent! I meant there is evidence that the Bowley Statement is authentic - i.e. it records a conversation between Light and the superintendent. I give the reasoning for this in my book. Whether you believe Light told the truth, or the whole truth, during the conversation is for the Cold Case Jury to decide. I analyse the content of the statement to give some pointers - and I state my view at the end of the book. But no spoilers here!

Was the .455 bullet fired from a pistol or a rifle? A great question. I analyse the ballistics of the case at length in my book. Renowned expert Churchill believed that the bullet could have only been fired from a revolver - but he was not called to testify!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Commisioner

Purchased Antony.

It shall be heavily referenced to as I try and organise the you know what for you know when.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622