Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathan Shine

Hey Tom, put this in your pipe and smoke it:

NATHANIEL SHINE, Theft > receiving, 1st December 1912.

Reference Number: t19121201-48
    Offence: Theft > receiving
    Verdict: Not Guilty > other

See original
    SHINE, Nathaniel (43, job buyer) , feloniously receiving three pipes and one cigarette holder, the goods of Walter Scales, well knoting them to have been stolen. Mr. A.H. Forbes prosecuted; Mr. Salkeld Green defended.

JOHN WILLIAM VINCENT , salesman to Walter Scoles, carrying on business as J. Wisbey and Co., 77, Houndsditch. The pipes shown to me come from our firm; they are worth 8s. or 9s. They are not a job lot. We deal in the other articles shown to me. We are continually losing goods answering this description.

CHARLES WHITE . On November 21 I was employed by Wisbey's as assistant salesman. I think I first met prisoner about seven weeks ago in London Wall. We passed the time of day and spoke business. He said if I could get hold of anything and took it round to his house be would buy it of me. I have seen him at Wisbey's. I do not know if he has seen me. He knew where I was employed. These brushes came from Wisbey's. I took them to Mr. Shine's tike night before I was taken into custody. He met me in. Barnsbury. I sold him the pipes at dinner-time. To the beat of my belief we had three deals; they came to 23s.; I received only 10s. They were not job lots Prisoner never asked if they were job lots.

Cross-examined. Wisbey's is a very busy place. I have seen prisoner in and out nearly all the three yean I was there. I had never spoken or nodded to him. I could not tell you if I had a conversation with him about his chest when I met him in London Wall. I would not swear he did not say he was suffering from consumption. He said he wanted to go to a hospital to get treatment. I said, "I am a life governor of a hospital myself and can get you a ticket." I gave him my address and told him to come to my house for a ticket. I believe I took the ticket when I took the thongs over. I do not think he asked me what I did for a living. I did not say, "I deal in job goods of any description." I may have mentioned pianos. I was a dealer in pianos I had a bag containing some goods. I could not tell you if I said to him, "I have got a few odds and ends here; could you do with them?" I night have done. I produced some side-combs, dressing-combs, a few purses and mouth-organs. I said, "These are odds and ends; give me 12s. for them." He wad, "I will give 10S."

Detective-constable FRENCH, City Police. On November 21 I arrested Charles White on a charge of stealing property belonging to his employer. He made a communication to me, in consequence of which I accompanied him to Bell Lane, where he pointed out prisoner. I I said to prisoner, "I am a police officer, and I am going to arrest you with this man White for stealing and receiving some pipes, a cigarette I tube, and other articles, the property of Messrs. Wisbey." Prisoner said, "You have made a mistakes" He then said, "I did buy some pipes in the dinner hour, and if you like to come round home I will show them to you." I went to his home, where the pipes were

See original
    produced and the cigarette-holder. I searched the house and found various other property. (Witness identified the pipes.)

Cross-examined. When the pipes were found he said, "I am a job buyer; I bought some pipes and combs from this man," pointing toWhite, "who I thought was a job buyer also."

(Defence.)

NATHANIEL SHINE (prisoner, on oath). I live at 5, Palmer Street. I have been a job buyer for 20 years. I have been doing business with Wisbey's over ten years. I have all the receipt. I am suffering from. consumption. I have been in four hospitals. About six weeks before my arrest White approached me in London Wall. He said, "Hullo." I looked at him for a minute. I had seen him once or twice at Wisbey's; I thought he was a traveller. He said, "How are—you going on" I said, "I don't feel well, I am going to get a letter." He said, "l am life governor of a hospital; come to 26, Offord Road, and I will give you a letter." I did, and was glad to get the letter. At his house he asked me what I was doing. I said, "Buying job lots, what are you doing?" He said, "I have been working for a firm about 15 yean in pianos "; did not mention any name. I thought he was gentlemen; he had a very nice place. He produced a brown bag containing these pipes and other things. He asked 12s. I did not ask him where he got them from. I said, "I will allow you 10s. for them." I kept them for three weeks; I was trying to save the stuff for Christmas so as to buy the children some clothes. Three weeks following he came to my house. He asked for 12s. I said, "I will five you 10s. in the dinner hour." The day following he sold me the pipes and; cigarette holder. He asked 4s.; I gave him 3s. You can buy them as 10s., 12s., and 15s. a dozen in any shop in Houndsditch. I have been carrying on business as a job buyer 20 yean in London.

Cross-examined. I was not frequently in Wisbey's during the two-months before November 21. I might go in. now and again, and the governor would say, "Shine, I have not got anything for you to-day." I never saw White in the basement. Job buyers do not ask where the goods come from. I thought that White was a traveller. I did not know he was employed at Wisbey's or I should not have bought them. How could I think he worked there when I met him in London Wall? White admitted at the station, that be never informed me they were stolen.

Verdict, Not guilty.
Working...
X