Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artefacts

Hello all

The upcoming exhibition has rekindled an old interest. I was wondering if any artefacts from the case still survive? I've heard tell of broken surgical knives and pieces of blood stained apron...

Lee

Donald Rumbelow, I belive has A knife which is said to be the Rippers.

There is still the Shawl of Eddowes which is still in exsistance.

Then, depending on what you read, or who you believe,

The Maybrick Diary, (see Suspects Maybrick thread for the mass debate)

The Maybrick Watch, (again see the above thread for the mass debate)

There is also allegedly a Maybrick leather bag (!)

A Maybrick Writing Desk (!)

And a key that belongs to the desk (!)

Of course various institutions hold the many "Ripper Letters" and there are also the files on the case.

I am just waiting for someone to find a Maybrick Top Hat, Maybrick Gladstone Bag, Maybrick Cloak and Maybrick fog machine!!
    Regards Mike

Comment

In short - there is nothing left at all. Items were kept for the inquests and the enquiries and weren't retained afterwards.

The shawl is a fake and the knife is EXTREMELY dubious.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

You have to ask yourself, "How come some one as cunning as the Ripper, be silly enough to leave a knife?"

There are quite a lot of press reports from the period stating that a knife or knives were discovered!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Artefacts

Thanks for the replies.

So, nothing left at all other than documents and photos. Not even a ginny kidney bobbing around in a jar somewhere? You'd have thought that with such a high profile case there'd be some grim souvenirs.

Cheers
          Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leefallon View Post
            So, nothing left at all other than documents and photos. Not even a ginny kidney bobbing around in a jar somewhere? You'd have thought that with such a high profile case there'd be some grim souvenirs.
            There was but I ate it, it was nise!!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Is the GSG wall still up?
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

That doesn't count, Stan. If it did I would have to list any original cobble in Mitre Square. Then we'd have to list The Ten Bells, The Queen's Head, the stub of wall remaning from GYB - and the air...

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

A lot of abbreviations get thrown around here. GYB- George Yard Buildings? Just curious, as I'll be visiting Whitechapel in about six months.

On Don Rumbelow's knife- I bought "Jack the Ripper A to Z" off of Ebay and on the day it arrived I had a duffel bag containing it stolen out of my car, but in the few hours I got to peruse it I'm pretty sure I remember reading the theory that that knife actually had belonged to (or more probably been stolen property recovered from) Michael Ostrog, and that his inclusion as a Ripper suspect led to its being thought of as the Ripper's knife.

Comment

Some would also argue that the Knife used by Sir John Williams could also be considered as the Knife of JTR (not me!)

The knife which you are speaking of, was used for some time as a gardening implement!!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X