Apron placement as intimidation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Indeed. It could be reasonably argued that the apron was merely discarded, just happening to be in reasonable proximity to a piece of antisemitic graffiti; surely something not uncommon in the vicinity. It's worth noting that the majority of reports don't explicitly indicate a significant link between the apron and the graffito anyway, over and above their happening to be in the same passageway.

In terms of implicating the Jews, it would have been difficult to jettison an apron in Goulston Street, or many of the surrounding streets for that matter, without its landing in a dwelling heavily occupied by Jews.
    Actually Sam the evidence as it exists suggest that its quite possible the cloth was left there purposefully. PC Long stated clearly that "it was not there" when he made his first pass by the entrance after Kates murder, which makes its arrival more than an hour later. The fact that it may well have been purposefully placed couple with proximity of the writing lends more strength to an idea that the writing and apron were connected, and used to communicate a message. one that, by the reactions to it, suggested anti semetic notions which were though to have the potential, in that neighbourhood, to cause riots.
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Watkin discovers Eddowes at 1.44. Long discovers the apron at 2.55. He'd last passed the doorway at 2.20. If the apron was just inside the doorway at the base of the jamb he might not have noticed it at 2.20, especially as he didn't know about the Eddowes murder (or Stride I assume). If it wasn't actually there then we have around 40 minutes for the killer to leave Mitre Square and drop the apron in Goulston Street. As we know, this is a hell of a long time. So what was he doing? This was,after all, a guy carrying body parts and a large knife! Isn't it likely that he'd gone to wherever he was staying (or lived) to deposit the body parts? If we accept that, and I'm not saying that everyone necessarily should, doesn't it indicate that the Ripper went back out with the cloth when he had absolutely no need to. Therefore it's more than likely that the apron was deliberately placed where it was found.

Regards
      Herlock
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Watkin discovers Eddowes at 1.44. Long discovers the apron at 2.55. He'd last passed the doorway at 2.20. If the apron was just inside the doorway at the base of the jamb he might not have noticed it at 2.20, especially as he didn't know about the Eddowes murder (or Stride I assume). If it wasn't actually there then we have around 40 minutes for the killer to leave Mitre Square and drop the apron in Goulston Street. As we know, this is a hell of a long time. So what was he doing? This was,after all, a guy carrying body parts and a large knife! Isn't it likely that he'd gone to wherever he was staying (or lived) to deposit the body parts? If we accept that, and I'm not saying that everyone necessarily should, doesn't it indicate that the Ripper went back out with the cloth when he had absolutely no need to. Therefore it's more than likely that the apron was deliberately placed where it was found.

Regards
        Herlock
        exactly.

The ripper probably hadn't predicted that he would be interrupted by a bunch of jews that night, and therefore probably hadn't brought chalk to leave a message incriminating them.

I imagine he went to his bolt hole, got cleaned up dropped off his goodies and knife and then headed back out with apron piece and chalk. Hence the time lapse.

remember, in his mind the killer probably knew he had been seen well, at least by Schwartz, who had "a heavy jewish appearance", and be well soon giving the police HIS description. what better way to obsfuscate than incriminate the very people who may be talking to police about you.

plus ive never put much stock in the argument of theres graffiti everywhere and it was just discarded under some by chance. wheres it say on record that there was any more graffiti in the immediate area? considering the events of that night-whats the chance it just happened to be discarded under graffiti that implicates jews? cmon.

The GSG never saw the light of day I would also posit. Had it been there in daylight hours one of the many jewish residents of that new building would have seen it and quickly washed it off.

it was written by the killer. and signed by the apron.
        Last edited by Abby Normal; 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          exactly.

The ripper probably hadn't predicted that he would be interrupted by a bunch of jews that night, and therefore probably hadn't brought chalk to leave a message incriminating them.

I imagine he went to his bolt hole, got cleaned up dropped off his goodies and knife and then headed back out with apron piece and chalk. Hence the time lapse.

remember, in his mind the killer probably knew he had been seen well, at least by Schwartz, who had "a heavy jewish appearance", and be well soon giving the police HIS description. what better way to obsfuscate than incriminate the very people who may be talking to police about you.

plus ive never put much stock in the argument of theres graffiti everywhere and it was just discarded under some by chance. wheres it say on record that there was any more graffiti in the immediate area? considering the events of that night-whats the chance it just happened to be discarded under graffiti that implicates jews? cmon.

The GSG never saw the light of day I would also posit. Had it been there in daylight hours one of the many jewish residents of that new building would have seen it and quickly washed it off.

Abby,

I immediately thought of this letter when you posted this. I copied it directly from Casebook and it says few researchers believe this letter to be real, but....

6 October 1888 -- this letter was received by a local paper and is believed to have been intended for either Israel Schwartz or Joseph Lawende, both of whom believe to have witnessed the Ripper and gave descriptions of the man they saw to the police. Few researchers believe this letter to be real.

{Transcription)
          You though your-self very clever I reckon when you informed the police. But you made a mistake if you though I dident see you. Now I known you know me and I see your little game, and I mean to finish you and send your ears to your wife if you show this to the police or help them if you do I will finish you. It no use your trying to get out of my way. Because I have you when you dont expect it and I keep my word as you soon see and rip you up. Yours truly Jack the Ripper.

PS You see I know your address

Comment

exactly.

Hi Abby,

I've always thought so and nothing that I've read since really pushes me in the direction of 'a chance discarding next to a random message.'

There's one thing that I've being wondering about so opinions would be welcome. Out of Long and Halse, Long seemed the less certain of the exact wording of the message. Why do we appear to trust the 'Long' version?

Regards
            Herlock
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Abby,

I've always thought so and nothing that I've read since really pushes me in the direction of 'a chance discarding next to a random message.'

There's one thing that I've being wondering about so opinions would be welcome. Out of Long and Halse, Long seemed the less certain of the exact wording of the message. Why do we appear to trust the 'Long' version?

Regards
              Herlock
              Herlock,

try to think about the apron and the writing (without thinking about jews) and write down here everything you can think about them.

I am not asking another person to do it now. I am asking you.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• I'm a little confused. Also, why me?

The cloth was part of Eddowes apron. The message can be interpreted in various ways (even masonically if someone is inclined that way; I'm not). There is nothing specific that links the message to the apron apart from location. The message was either written by someone with not great literacy skills or someone who wished to appear so. The latter might be feasible when considering the fact that the writing apparently showed signs of decent penmanship. It seems that there was an inexplicably large time gap between the time the ripper left Mitre Square and the earliest time that the rag could have been placed/discarded in Goulston Street. This might be explained by the fact that the ripper went to secrete the body parts that he'd removed. This would further imply that he then went back out to deposit the apron increasing the likelihood that he had purpose in doing this. The writing appears to have been written quite low down on the wall. There was a street lamp reasonably close to the doorway. Two police officers (Long and Halse) gave slightly different readings of the message.
                The writing was erased on the orders of Arnold confirmed by Warren.
                Can't think of much else Pierre. I'm sure that I'm missing loads.

Regards
                Herlock
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Abby,

Regards
                  Herlock
                  Hi HS
                  I don't know-maybe someone better versed can answer. but to me its kind of a moot point-they basically mean the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                    Abby,

I immediately thought of this letter when you posted this. I copied it directly from Casebook and it says few researchers believe this letter to be real, but....

6 October 1888 -- this letter was received by a local paper and is believed to have been intended for either Israel Schwartz or Joseph Lawende, both of whom believe to have witnessed the Ripper and gave descriptions of the man they saw to the police. Few researchers believe this letter to be real.

{Transcription)
                    You though your-self very clever I reckon when you informed the police. But you made a mistake if you though I dident see you. Now I known you know me and I see your little game, and I mean to finish you and send your ears to your wife if you show this to the police or help them if you do I will finish you. It no use your trying to get out of my way. Because I have you when you dont expect it and I keep my word as you soon see and rip you up. Yours truly Jack the Ripper.

PS You see I know your address
                    Hi Jerry
                    Thanks. yes ive seen it. and yes it does go along with the killers GSG re being pissed off at being interrupted by jews that night.

Comment

Hi HS
                      I don't know-maybe someone better versed can answer. but to me its kind of a moot point-they basically mean the same thing.
                      Hi Abby

Yeah, it's not a significant point (unless of course you're a 'Masonic conspiracy' believer). Perhaps just a curiosity that we accept one version over the other?

Regards
                      Herlock
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Regards
                        Herlock

Hi H.S.

If you look back over the testimony, PC long's version was witnessed by an Inspector, who read it over and corrected some spelling.
                        So, in effect, it was already independently verified before it came to the inquest.
                        That is my take.

For what it's worth, the architect W. F. Foster, who drew the plans of the murder scene wrote in pencil the graffiti as a freehand note in the corner of one of his drawings - The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing.

This is a version that never receives any publicity, yet it confirms PC Long's version.
                        This side note was written directly beside Fosters instructions detailing where the apron/graffiti was found. None of these details were spoken of at the inquest but Coroner Langham had these drawings in front of him.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          Hi H.S.

If you look back over the testimony, PC long's version was witnessed by an Inspector, who read it over and corrected some spelling.
                          So, in effect, it was already independently verified before it came to the inquest.
                          That is my take.

For what it's worth, the architect W. F. Foster, who drew the plans of the murder scene wrote in pencil the graffiti as a freehand note in the corner of one of his drawings - The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing.

This is a version that never receives any publicity, yet it confirms PC Long's version.
                          This side note was written directly beside Fosters instructions detailing where the apron/graffiti was found. None of these details were spoken of at the inquest but Coroner Langham had these drawings in front of him.
                          Hi Jon,

You are becoming my 'go to' man for facts. Id never heard of the Foster version and I must have forgotten about the Inspector checking Long's version. That settles it for me then. 'Long' version it is. Abby was right though it makes no difference to the meaning. As an architect, I wonder if Fosters version actually copied the handwriting? If so, you'd expect it to be pretty accurate.

Cheers
                          Herlock
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Jon,

You are becoming my 'go to' man for facts. Id never heard of the Foster version and I must have forgotten about the Inspector checking Long's version. That settles it for me then. 'Long' version it is. Abby was right though it makes no difference to the meaning. As an architect, I wonder if Fosters version actually copied the handwriting? If so, you'd expect it to be pretty accurate.

Cheers
                            Herlock
                            I agree with Abby, both versions can be said to mean the same thing.

Fosters version is extremely difficult to read, it is badly faded.
                            The words "nothing" and "blamed" can be seen, but "Juwes" is too faint to be sure how it was spelt.
                            What we can see is there is a word between "Will" and "be", whereas in Halse's version he has no word, so this suggests it does not reflect Halse's version.

I'll try post Fosters version if I can get this new image host to work.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I think I should withdraw that above, I have just been enlarging what is written on the drawing and it is looking like a different version entirely. Not confirming either Long or Halse.

There are three lines, or more accurately two lines, plus a word.
                              The last word at the bottom left is "nothing".
                              The second line seems to say:
                              "Men to be blamed for"

The last three words on the top line seem to read:
                              "are not the"

So, what I can see is"
                              xxx xxxxx are not the
                              men to be blamed for
                              nothing

The second word on the top line that should be "Juwes" seems to begin with a "J", and end with an "s", but the precise spelling is not clear.
                              The first word begins with a capital "T" and is followed by a "ne", the vertical line for the "h" is faint, so what we see is consistent with "The".
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Just above the graffiti is a larger note which provides some location details. This note does not address the piece of apron, I think it refers to the location of the graffiti.

It seems to say:

2 Doors from Wentworth street

& no 3 on the right . . . . 4 Blocks

(alt: The 3rd on the right . . . . 4 Blocks)

about 30'0 on right hand side

doorway about 20'0 from Lamp

found inside entrance to Model Dwellings from

108 To 119

The line that interests me is the third line:
                                about 30'0 on right hand side

In looking at a Goads Map, the doorway identified in these notes is not 30 ft from anything of importance. It is not clear what this line refers to, if I read it correctly.

The first two lines accurately describe the doorway in question.
                                Wentworth Model Dwellings was four blocks of flats/apartments, the second door from the left is also the 3rd from the right.
                                Last edited by Wickerman; 07-14-2017, 07:21 PM.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X