Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Wilkinson

Hi All,

In August 1888, James Monro tendered his resignation as Assistant Commissioner CID and moved across Whitehall to the Home Office.

Western Daily Press, 6th September 1888—
    “Mr. Monro, whose new department at the Home Office is as mysterious as the identity of Colonel Wilkinson, his newly-appointed assistant, is organizing a secret police. The secret police is to have rare functions, and will be an altogether extraordinary body. Scotland Yard, in fact, is to be absorbed, bureaucratically, into the department presided over by Mr. Henry Matthews, and Mr. Monro is to burst forth into a full-blown modern nineteenth century edition of Fouché.”

Homeward Mail from India, China and the East, 22nd October 1888—
    “We announced the other day, says the Englishman, that Colonel Wilkinson had declined the deputation to Ceylon, for which he was nominated by the Bengal Government, on the score of ill-health. His friends need not, however, feel any immediate anxiety on his behalf, as he has been appointed assistant to Mr. Monro. The nature of the duties to be performed by Mr. Monro has been kept a profound secret, but they are believed to be similar to those previously performed by Mr. Jenkinson . . .”

Pall Mall Gazette, 26th October 1888—
    “A report comes from India that Colonel Wilkinson, lately serving under the Bengal Government, has been appointed assistant to Mr. Monro in his new position at the Home Office. As we mentioned in our articles on the Metropolitan Police, the late director of the Criminal Investigation Department is himself an old Anglo-Indian official.”

Who was the mysterious Colonel Wilkinson?

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Colonel Osborn Wilkinson,Bengal Cavalry from 27/1/1875.
    Companion of the Order of the Bath,1877.
    Retirement approved 6 March,1880 from Bengal Army.
    Last edited by DJA; 05-01-2017, 07:38 PM. Reason: Bengal Army.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Is that a fact, or a definite maybe?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Colonel Wilkinson Taylor

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Is that a fact, or a definite maybe?

Regards,

Simon
        Simon,

I have seen several press reports that have a Colonel Wilkinson as late 16th Lancers. And also this. (bottom of page under Major Hughes-Hallett)

The Observer, July 25 1880

Last edited by jerryd; 05-02-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I think perhaps this chap died in 1906. He had a twin brother called Johnson Wilkinson and they co-wrote a book.

His political service seems to be unmentioned in the obits so maybe I have the wrong man.

Comment

THE LONDON GAZETTE, NOVEMBER 29, 1881

The following Officers of Her Majesty's Indian Forces (Local Service) have been transferred to the Unemployed Supernumerary List, under the terms of the Royal Warrant of the 24th October, 1881, dated 1st July, 1881:—

Colonels. William Wilkinson Taylor, Bombay Infantry. George Strangways, Bengal Infantry. Wredenhall Qneiros Pogsoii, Bengal Infantry. FolHott Walker Baugh, Bengal Infantry. Thomas Rochfort Snow, Bengal Cavalry. William Charles Gott, Bengal Infantry. Graeme Auchmuty Fulton, Madras Infantry. James Gathorne Cookson, Madras Cavalry. William Fraser Stephens, Bengal Calvalry.
            Last edited by jerryd; 05-02-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all the Wilkinsons.

At the moment, the ideal candidate for James Monro’s Home Office assistant seems to be Lieutenant-Colonel Alfred Reginald Wilkinson, Bengal Infantry.

From 1869 to 1881, he was personal assistant to the Inspector-General of the Bengal Police, who, from 1878 to 1882 was James Monro.

More as I get it.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Retired from Bengal Infantry 20 March,1889?

Lieutenant-Colonel is lesser rank than Colonel.
                Last edited by DJA; 05-02-2017, 08:42 AM. Reason: LC.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Yes, his retirement date tends to rule him out.

As does his rank, which he held at retirement. Lieutenant-Colonel was between a Major and a Colonel.

His link with Monro is interesting.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Psst....Osborn

Comment

He might not be ruled out altogether. Perhaps the 1889 retirement was a formal confirmation of a practical reality - I don't know how the army operates. Also, the one who died in 1906 was given an honorary promotion on his retirement, so maybe this one was too.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Lieutenant Colonel Alfred Reginald Wilkinson died aged 52, in Bath, June 1895.

So in 1889 he retired, aged 46.

Seems young to me, but one newspaper report did mention ill-health.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

his retirement date tends to rule him out.
                          As does his rank...
                          Don't trust everything you read in the newspapers.

See below extract from a memo by Monro's successor, Nicholas Gosselin, dated 28 June 1890:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi David,

Thank you very much.

I thought you'd turn up trumps.

By the way, I didn't get my information from the newspapers. I took it from the India Office and Burma List, 1893.

Regards,

Simon
                            Last edited by Simon Wood; 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

Hi David,

Thank you very much.

I thought you'd turn up trumps.

By the way, I didn't get my information from the newspapers. I took it from the India Office and Burma List, 1893.
                              No problem Simon, and I was referring to the information as to Wilkinson's rank in 1888, extracted from the 3 press articles cited in the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X