New to casebook-My .2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riahsha View Post
    What made this killer so newsworthy? What if the killings had stopped after Chapman and Nichols even though they were so horribly butchered?
    Two similar murders within a span of eight days and then nothing for more than two weeks wouldn't seem to cause undue concern.
    You would think with people being investigated and some locked up and no further murders that panic would subside.
    Then a creepy letter gets sent.
    Hi Riahsha and welcome,

The transatlantic cable didn't come into its own until the 1870s and multiple transmissions was still a slow business. Thanks to this new technology, people in Buffalo, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, LA, New York, etc., could now experience the fears of the Whitechapel residence AS IT WAS HAPPENING! Before this, european news was just a recent history event. How interesting it would have been to read about this killing spree as it was happening not knowing what tomorrow would hold, but knowing that you'll be able to read about it.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hullo

The only conspiracy I can see is the plan to kill Eddowes before finishing off the woman in Millers Court. Please don't make the mistake of thinking I'm saying that Eddowes was targeted for who she was. I think any woman in that place would have been killed at that time.
      I think the only connection the first two murders had with the last two are someone taking advantage of an opportunity. That's first degree murder, not conspiracy.
      Why is it that Eddowes and "MJK" need to look like Nichols and Chapman? And why should've any woman have been killed in Eddowes place if it was not the murderer of Nichols and Chapman? I've yet to hear any convincing reasoning for it. From anyone. I think I could buy "MJK" being murdered by a completely unrelated sicko over someone making an attempt to make her seem like another victim of the same killer. I will say something sure does seem hinky in #13. It could just be the madness involved though.
      Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

How did the one single killer idea ever start?
        Hi Riahsha,

Because it was arguably the simplest explanation when unfortunates began turning up mutilated in public or semi-public places, within weeks of each other and within easy walking distance.

The public, the police and the press were very quickly aware that something extremely unusual was going on down Whitechapel way.

We now know that if a single killer was responsible for at least three, and possibly all eight of the murder victims in 1888 from Smith to Mylett, it wouldn't have been at all unusual in the long history of serial murder - but rare as hens' teeth if several killers were all playing "operation" on these unfortunate creatures for different reasons.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Riasha,

Caz is right. A lone killer was the simplest explanation.

The "key" to the Whitechapel murders is that there was no key. The murders were unconnected, but lumped together for expedience under the umbrella of a lone killer.

The idea started with the police who, contrary to the facts, reportedly linked Tabram with Emma Smith. This idea snowballed to include Nichols. The lone killer then got a name—Leather Apron. Next came the murder of Chapman, for which Leather Apron [allegedly a.k.a. John Pizer] had an alibi. He also had an alibi for the Nichols murder, but was never quizzed about Smith and Tabram. Pizer was exonerated and thus the concept of the serial killing Leather Apron withered on the vine.

This left the cops with an embarrassment of unsolved murders and a populace clamouring for justice.

The neat and tidy solution? Simple. Invent a new, improved and, most importantly, uncatchable lone killer.

Enter Jack.

Regards,

Simon
          Last edited by Simon Wood; 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM. Reason: spolling mistook
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

I don't think the 'lone killer' theory gained dominance until the Chapman killing, and Emma Smith's inclusion in the series became less pronounced at the same time.

Comment

SOC, victimology and post mortem indicates the same hand in more than one murder in the area between 88 and 91.

Chapmans murder does seem to be the point when everyone took note.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Lechmere,

The "lone killer" theory temporarily collapsed immediately following the Chapman murder.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Simon
                  I think you are over stating things a little there. Inevitably contemporary theorising fluctuated and it depends what weight you attach to each account.
                  My overall 'feel' and impression is that in the immediate aftermath of the Nichols killing the multiple murderer theory was prominent (due no doubt to Smith's account and the suggestion that different weapons were used on Tabram) but started waning quite quickly in the first week of September.

Comment

Hi Lechmere,

The police gave the multiple murderer theory the bum's rush days before the Chapman murder.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

As I said the multiple murder theory seems to have dropped away in the first week of September with a growing fixation on 'Leather Apron'. However we have very little to go on to say what the police officially thought.
                      I would not rely too much on what the newspapers said the police thought.

Comment

Hi Lechmere,

When in doubt let's fall back on not putting too much reliance in the Fourth Estate.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          ..... However we have very little to go on to say what the police officially thought.
                          I would not rely too much on what the newspapers said the police thought.
                          Ah, such is the reality of the situation.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Riasha,
                            Perhaps it's because we are all products of the 20th century, with apologies to any 13 year old's studying the case, to us the term 'serial killer' comes with a world of associations and perhaps even expectations.
                            This was the 19th century.
                            Without wishing to offend anyone,my best advice to you is read everything posted by the estimable Mr Cates and Mr Wood.

Comment

Hi Riasha,
                              Now that I've handed out the bouquets, I can post my observations on the 'coincidences' in the Mary Kelly murder.

The amount of rent owed by Mary to John Mcarthy was 6 weeks, more or less the same period of time since the murder of Catherine Eddowes.
                              The pawn ticket found on Eddowes was made out to Jane Kelly, 6 Dorsett street, a false address, there was however a Mary Jane Kelly at 26 Dorsett street.
                              Joseph Barnett stated that Mary used to like listening to him reading out loud the newspaper reports about the murders, the report of Eddowes giving her name as Mary Anne Kelly appeared in the East London Observer 13th October edition.
                              All the best.

Comment

Hi Riasha.
                                The problematic sighting by Caroline Maxwell is given further credibility by her inquest evidence, if she was lying for whatever reason, why did she say she was unable to describe the man with Kelly at the later sighting outside the Brittania?
                                Then again,who was Mary Kelly?
                                Ginger? Joseph Barnett.
                                A blonde of medium height? East London Observer 17th November 1888.
                                Short,stout and dark? Maurice Lewis, Illustrated Police News 17th November 1888.
                                (Source Paul Begg, Jack the Ripper The Facts).

Comment

Working...
                                X