Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Hi JohnG
    I'm no Trump fan and he is obviously an ego maniac, but IMHO I truly believe he is doing this for all the right reasons-He really believes he can help this country. (if he wins whether he can is another question!)

Hillary-now-not so sure. I cant help but feel she is running for president well, because she really wants to be president. power and personal gain-- and her track record backs that up IMHO.

Not to mention shes a borderline criminal.
    The Don is certainly something of an enigma. When he talks to voters his language is that of an adolescent. However, when speaking to the business community he uses the sophisticated language of the business elite.

However, he's undoubtedly managed to successfully target his appeal to the many voters who are disillusioned with mainstream politicians, and who feel left behind. That doesn't mean, of course that, in reality, he has any genuine affinity for those voters, or their concerns, as evidenced by the many contradictory views he's expressed during his campaign.

And what I do find surprising is how the issue of protectionism has, in America, appealed to those on both the left and right of the political spectrum, i.e. Trump, Hoover, Sanders.

In contrast, in Europe it has mainly been left wing politicians who have attacked globalization, i.e. the actions of big business in exporting jobs abroad, and who have advocated protectionism rather than free trade.

Of course , I have great sympathy for workers who lose their jobs when businesses decide to relocate to countries with cheaper labour markets. In Britain, for instance, I think it disgraceful that Kraft, an American company of which Warren Buffett is a major shareholder, was allowed to take over a British confectionery company, Cadbury, promising to retain their British factory; only to renege on the promise by closing the factory down, transferring production to Poland, at the first opportunity.

However, history shows us that, like communism, protectionism doesn't work, despite appearing to be an attractive option: see, for example, the disastrous consequences of the Smoot Hawley Tariff Act. And history also shows us that it will be the poor, the voters who are most amenable to Trump's arguments, who will be the biggest losers. They always are.
    Last edited by John G; 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Some strange comments out of the Trumpster today.
      So I thought too at first, but...

He's succeeded in re-focussing attention squarely upon Hillary's deleted emails, and what foreign powers might have access to American secrets due to her carelessness, and he's done it on the eve of her acceptance speech. He's gotten the news media in an uproar, with some even accusing him of treason over what was a rather obvious (if funny) quip, making them look like shameless pro-Hillary spin merchants. It's going to take a few days for this to take effect, but in the end it's going to benefit Trump.
      - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
        So I thought too at first, but...

He's succeeded in re-focussing attention squarely upon Hillary's deleted emails, and what foreign powers might have access to American secrets due to her carelessness, and he's done it on the eve of her acceptance speech. He's gotten the news media in an uproar, with some even accusing him of treason over what was a rather obvious (if funny) quip, making them look like shameless pro-Hillary spin merchants. It's going to take a few days for this to take effect, but in the end it's going to benefit Trump.
        Obvious quip? He said it in a dead serious tone, and it was no more an "obvious quip" than when he questioned John McCain's status as war hero, or when he supposedly couldn't find a single good thing to say about Obama when the question was put to him, or when he's called Hillary crooked.

It is, of course, possible that his entire run for presidency is a quip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Obvious quip? He said it in a dead serious tone, and it was no more an "obvious quip" than when he questioned John McCain's status as war hero, or when he supposedly couldn't find a single good thing to say about Obama when the question was put to him, or when he's called Hillary crooked.

It is, of course, possible that his entire run for presidency is a quip.
          Hi Karl,

I still feel this creep and phony, if he is elected (God help us!) President, will struggle (or let his underlings led by Pence struggle) pushing his claimed agenda for a year or so, find nobody in office (even in the Republican Party) likes him or his ideas, and will suddenly resign his office, blaming the American Public for not being ready or able to achieve "greatness" again because it did not properly believe in him. He'll do it, because "failure" is a term he claims is due to others - not to the great Donald. I hate thinking of a Republican dominated U.S., but at least Governor Pence seems a more respectable form of politician at this moment.

When he resigns, Donald will achieve the impossible - he'll make Nixon's resignation look totally regretable in comparison: had it not been for his paranoid personality, and his use of dirty political tricks, Nixon had showed more than average competence in the office of President. Donald will show less competence than Franklin Pierce or Warren Harding.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Hi Karl,

I still feel this creep and phony, if he is elected (God help us!) President, will struggle (or let his underlings led by Pence struggle) pushing his claimed agenda for a year or so, find nobody in office (even in the Republican Party) likes him or his ideas, and will suddenly resign his office, blaming the American Public for not being ready or able to achieve "greatness" again because it did not properly believe in him. He'll do it, because "failure" is a term he claims is due to others - not to the great Donald. I hate thinking of a Republican dominated U.S., but at least Governor Pence seems a more respectable form of politician at this moment.
            I think that is a bit on the optimistic side (that he will resign), because if he finds the checks and balances to be an obstacle, he will try to strong-arm his way through. Like he has done in his business dealings, he would probably push and push until he got his way or until his time in office was up. He wouldn't simply give up. Look at that golf course controversy in Scotland, for example.

And it's not like he'd have everyone against him on everything, either. He would have significant support in most things he would set out to do. What really worries me about US domestic politics under Trump is that Bush and Obama have both paved the way for suspending the basic legal rights of any individual deemed to be an enemy of the state. Bush ensured this would apply to foreign nationals; Obama ensured this would apply to US citizens as well. And though Obama said he would never himself implement that law (which is ridiculous - if so, why sign it in the first place?), I can see Trump having fun with it.

But it is foreign politics that worry me the most, because here the US president has more elbow room. He still cannot simply start wars left, right and centre, because checks and balances still apply. But he can provoke it. He will certainly provoke more terrorism, because his proposed solutions are more of the same which has already fertilized the grounds for terror. And, stupidly, that goddamn wall of his is part of his goddamn party programme:

Certified Website of Donald J. Trump For President 2024. America's comeback starts right now. Join our movement to Make America Great Again!

What may once have been a flippant remark is now solidified in Trump's intended politics. He might actually be dumb enough to try and have that wall built, without any understanding - or even care - of the social, economic or diplomatic consequences.

His politics are bonkers, but I don't think political or popular opposition is going to make him step down. It never has in the past.

Comment

• Also, why is nobody asking to see Trump's private emails? We have just as much right to those private emails as Hillary's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
                The right to use whichever bathroom one prefers has become one of the major issues in the USA. I wonder what the authors of the Declaration of independence would say about it.
                It isn't an issue except with a dozen vociferous idiots and media interest. Most people don't even think about it.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                  Trump, like Sanders, appeals to voters who have become disillusioned with mainstream politicians. Nothing wrong in that per se. However, it doesn't mean that his alternative solutions, whatever they may be (he keeps contradicting himself)) will be any better. In fact, they may be a great deal worse.
                  This is exactly it. There is no one that knows what Trump really wants, including himself. It is for him the same thing as acquiring another toy. He doesn't care about immigration or Islamic terrorism. He cares about platforms of fear that are easy to spew venom from, increasing the fear and gaining the frightened votes. Yet, he has no plan; no clue; no idea. To be behind him is to throw all your chips on one color because no intellectual processes, divining intent, can be used to back the blowhard. Yet, Hillary is not a great choice.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

• Since we are speaking of being frightened, when is Hillary going to have a news conference? You can't be a President if you are afraid to face the press.
                    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      Since we are speaking of being frightened, when is Hillary going to have a news conference? You can't be a President if you are afraid to face the press.
                      Hi Stan,

You have to become a President first to hold a Presidential press conference. She has spoken face to face to reporters.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Also, why is nobody asking to see Trump's private emails? We have just as much right to those private emails as Hillary's.
                        Hi Karl,

I'd love to see Trump's e-mails, just like I'd like to see his personal income taxes. But (unfortunately) his e-mails (so-far) have not been an issue. Due to the Bengazi controversy Hillary's did become an issue. If, however, some proof emerged suggesting Trump e-mailed a message of personal friendship and support to Putin, if the latter hacked Democratic party e-mails, THEN it would be a matter he'd could not lightly (though he would try to do so) shrug off.

Jeff

Comment

• The thing I dislike most about Trump is his tendency to deny things he has said and done-- when we have him on tape saying and doing those things!
                          People say they like him because he's not a politician or a Washington insider. I don't know about that, but if being a liar qualifies him as a politician, then he IS one!
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

• Trump is getting into some serious hot water with his escalating feud with Khizr and Ghazala Khan, whose son was killed by a car bomb in Iraq in 2004. Trump questioned why Ghazala Khan did not speak at last week's Democratic convention and then fired off tweets to rebut Khizr Khan. So he is alienating Muslims, women and veterans all at the same time. His ego won't let him back down. Several Republicans have come out and publicly rebuked him as a result.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Trump is getting into some serious hot water with his escalating feud with Khizr and Ghazala Khan, whose son was killed by a car bomb in Iraq in 2004. Trump questioned why Ghazala Khan did not speak at last week's Democratic convention and then fired off tweets to rebut Khizr Khan. So he is alienating Muslims, women and veterans all at the same time. His ego won't let him back down. Several Republicans have come out and publicly rebuked him as a result.

c.d.
                              Seems to be typical of him.

With him as President I wonder how long to war.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• It feels like we're stuck in a great big pot which is about to reach boiling point - as if it won't simmer down until the far right get their way and someone like Trump is elected, and subsequently flushing the West down the drain. It seems 2-3 generations is the most people can remember history's mistakes. I used to think that the reason people are starting to talk like they were born 80 years too late is that we are generally not very good at recognising the same signs in our own time. But more and more people are openly saying things like, "you know, he had the right idea..." And you know of whom I speak. 2-3 generations, and we're about ready for another melt-down.

Comment

Working...
                                X