No announcement yet.

EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was a boy and I wouldn't eat my boiled egg, my mother told me that "Sarah Cluck-Cluck" would be so sad if I wouldn't eat one of her eggs. So I ate the egg to spare Sarah's feelings.

Comment

• Sarah Cluck-Cluck being the woman next door, I presume. You must have had the tiniest egg cup in the world, Robert.

Good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        Sarah Cluck-Cluck being the woman next door, I presume. You must have had the tiniest egg cup in the world, Robert.

Good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Caz
        now you've really hurt Sarah Cluck Clucks feelings! Shes the hen who produced the egg Robert didn't want to eat!

speaking of food stuffs and kids-being the youngest of nine kids, I was told all kinds of crazy things about food. One I distinctly remember was my older brother telling me that if a I swallowed a watermelon seed, a watermelon would grow in my stomach. I lived in eternal fear of it for years!

Comment

• And not just one watermelon, for the watermelon would produce seeds which in turn would produce more watermelons.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
            When I was a boy and I wouldn't eat my boiled egg, my mother told me that "Sarah Cluck-Cluck" would be so sad if I wouldn't eat one of her eggs. So I ate the egg to spare Sarah's feelings.
            Kind of like the episode of Fraggle Rock when they discovered that if they didn't eat the doozers' constructions, the doozers would soon find themselves without work and out of a job. So the fraggles were actually doing them a favour by eating their buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Caz
              now you've really hurt Sarah Cluck Clucks feelings! Shes the hen who produced the egg Robert didn't want to eat!

speaking of food stuffs and kids-being the youngest of nine kids, I was told all kinds of crazy things about food. One I distinctly remember was my older brother telling me that if a I swallowed a watermelon seed, a watermelon would grow in my stomach. I lived in eternal fear of it for years!
              I heard that bit about the watermelon seeds too when I was a kid. Scary stuff they told us.

All this stuff about Sarah Cluck Clucks reminded me of one of Gary Larson's old "The Far Side" cartoons. A farmer is headed back to the house from the chicken coop with a basket full of eggs, when he notices his infant baby is being carried by a hen back to the coop from his house!

I miss Larson. Loved his cartoons.

Jeff

Comment

• Back on track to the issues of this thread, there was an interesting story in the New York Times today in the second (or business section) on page three regarding a new book "The Euro: How a Common Currency Threatens the Future of Europe" by an economist named Joseph E. Stiglitz. Stiglitz is basically telling in the book that there was little imput by economists when the Euro was created 17 years back, and most of the structuring was based on the views of politicians. They were considering that the main purposes of the unification of Europe's economies was to keep deficits per country down relative to their G.D.P. But this policy was really being pushed by the strongest economies, and actually had really bad effects on the weaker ones (read Greece and Spain - both actually doing somewhat better before adopting the Euro). In fact, internal legislation within member states was forced to favor other nations' advantages. Greece had to scrap a rule that fresh milk is no more than four days old. If older it had to be labelled as such. What was the real reason for this? German and Dutch dairy industries wished to ship their factory farmed milk across Europe to sell elsewhere, including Greece. In doing this they hurt the Greek dairy industry.

There is also evidence that (in the wake of Brexit) they plan to do some sort of punishment on Britain, so that they set a warning example for other members of the Union not to leave [Like Voltaire's famous description of the execution of Admiral Byng in 1757 - "To encourage the other admirals".]

Supposedly when the Euro was created, the model used was the relative growth and wealth of the U.S. with it's single currency. However this failed to notice that the U.S. grew (even with it's Civil War) in a single body of states together - unlike Europe which lacked political integration. Actually this strikes me as a strange thing to miss.

Well it is some food for thought. Any critiques?

Jeff

Comment

• Yes Jeff the Euro currency was, and still is, driven by political considerations i.e. European unification. And the part about taking the USA as a model is in line with the reason behind the European project itself - to rival the USA. Such thinking is OK in sports, e.g.golf, where the American strength in depth meant that the only way to keep the Ryder Cup interesting was to have Europe versus the US instead of Britain versus the US. But as for the politics - well, the EU reminds me of a playground gang.

Comment

• When I was a kid the old bloke next door had a cow, he gave me some fresh milk,me arm really creamy, in fact I think I got pretty much all cream, from then on I didn't want Andy (the milko) milk, I wanted Charlie (fellow next door milk).
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      Back on track to the issues of this thread, there was an interesting story in the New York Times today in the second (or business section) on page three regarding a new book "The Euro: How a Common Currency Threatens the Future of Europe" by an economist named Joseph E. Stiglitz. Stiglitz is basically telling in the book that there was little imput by economists when the Euro was created 17 years back, and most of the structuring was based on the views of politicians. They were considering that the main purposes of the unification of Europe's economies was to keep deficits per country down relative to their G.D.P. But this policy was really being pushed by the strongest economies, and actually had really bad effects on the weaker ones (read Greece and Spain - both actually doing somewhat better before adopting the Euro). In fact, internal legislation within member states was forced to favor other nations' advantages. Greece had to scrap a rule that fresh milk is no more than four days old. If older it had to be labelled as such. What was the real reason for this? German and Dutch dairy industries wished to ship their factory farmed milk across Europe to sell elsewhere, including Greece. In doing this they hurt the Greek dairy industry.

There is also evidence that (in the wake of Brexit) they plan to do some sort of punishment on Britain, so that they set a warning example for other members of the Union not to leave [Like Voltaire's famous description of the execution of Admiral Byng in 1757 - "To encourage the other admirals".]

Supposedly when the Euro was created, the model used was the relative growth and wealth of the U.S. with it's single currency. However this failed to notice that the U.S. grew (even with it's Civil War) in a single body of states together - unlike Europe which lacked political integration. Actually this strikes me as a strange thing to miss.

Well it is some food for thought. Any critiques?

Jeff
                      Since I have not read the article, or have access to it, so I can only offer a critique on what you have written here, Jeff, and there are a number of contradictions and incorrect facts here:

The European was actually created almost 30 years ago not 17. It was called the Ecu at first and the planning and implementation had started in the early nineties before its eventual launch in 2002. Over a decade of planning and preparation had gone into it an I don't believe for the second that this was not driven by economists. Of course, we could look it up to clarify but on that point, the article does not sound entirely believable to me.

This was also just after the German Unification which meant that the D-mark was introduced in Eastern Germany. Much of the German experience with this step was analysed and transferred to the Euro-project. And the situation was similar: Two very different economies had to be merged.

The article says that the Euro had been created to keep the national debt of countries like Greece or Spain down. Well, that clearly didn't work, did it? Also why should keeping the national debt down have a bad effect on an economy like Greece or Spain? So I really don't know what that part was about. Summit to say that the Euro crisis is not due to the existence of the Euro, but due to some countries not keeping their debts under control.

And finally, for something in order to be called "fresh", there clearly has to be a cut-off point. Ideally one that applies universally across the union.

So all in all, the article sounds like a typical euro-bashing hatchet job that we have seen all too often from people who need to create a fiction-based reality in order to get their points across.
                      Last edited by Svensson; 07-31-2016, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Yes Jeff the Euro currency was, and still is, driven by political considerations i.e. European unification. And the part about taking the USA as a model is in line with the reason behind the European project itself - to rival the USA. Such thinking is OK in sports, e.g.golf, where the American strength in depth meant that the only way to keep the Ryder Cup interesting was to have Europe versus the US instead of Britain versus the US. But as for the politics - well, the EU reminds me of a playground gang.
                        Would you mind actually posting a link to the "European Unification" project or can you maybe stop writing about this fantasy? Because AFAIK, it is just not true.

Thanks.
                        Last edited by Svensson; 07-31-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• Svensson, was that a joke?

Comment

• No, not at all.

Comment

• Does the phrase "ever closer union" ring a bell?

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                                I thought it was obvious I was just pulling your leg, FM. But then if athlete's foot could be abolished, wouldn't we all be at the front of the queue to vote not to keep it? I can't recall ever suffering from it myself, so my vote would be to keep the nation's feet healthy.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Hello Caz!

No. I wouldn't be in the queue let alone at the front of the queue.

Someone's foot fungus is not my concern!

I'd probably vote to keep it on the grounds that it's hardly a threat to peace and prosperity and too much meddling isn't a good thing.

Whatever happened to just leaving things alone?!

Comment

Working...
                                X