No announcement yet.

Favorite fictional early (before 1930) detective poll besides Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a great autographed picture of Richard Kollmar in front of the microphone portraying Blackie.. I am a nerd for things like that (autograph collector… got some pretty neat ones I must admit)

Steadmund Brand--
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• That's interesting Steadmund. I voted for Chan but my second choice would have been Blackie.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• According to reports, there is a new authorized Poirot novel by another author coming out later this year.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hello all,

What about Inspector Elk by Edgar Wallace (1875 - 1932)? He was 13 at the time of the Whitechapel murders, maybe he drew some sort of inspiration from the events.

I quite like some of Wallace's crime novels and specially the 1960s movie adaptions by the German CCC/Rialto Film. They're still very popular over here.

Not many critics liked his stuff, they rated him as a populist writer. George Orwell even called Wallace a "bully worshipper" and "proto-fascist" (source: Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Wallace ). Still, his novels are just the kind of light-hearted whodunnit stuff that I sometimes need for my peace of mind.

Best wishes,

Boris
          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            According to reports, there is a new authorized Poirot novel by another author coming out later this year.
            Sophie Hannah is reportedly that author.

Stan Reid

Comment

Sophie Hannah is reportedly that author.
              Thanks for that Stan I knew a deal had been struck but not who the author was.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Don't know anything about her but she must be good or she wouldn't have been approved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I believe we are in the last season of David Suchet as Poirot.

Stan Reid

Comment

I believe we are in the last season of David Suchet as Poirot.
                    I thought he had already finished.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      I thought he had already finished.
                      Could be GUT; I'm not a regular watcher.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't know if that's the end of the series or if it will continue with another actor.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'day Stan

I'm pretty sure David has now made every Poirot, except the one just written.
                          G U T

Comment

• for me, it's Juve. The obsessed detective looking for Fantômas, the very first super villain.

Or Nestor Burma, a private detective created by Léo Malet, set in a post WWII Paris.
                            (I'm including him because some his story happens in the 20's, but I'm not sure when they were written)
                            Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 10-05-2014, 04:37 PM.
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              G'day Stan

I'm pretty sure David has now made every Poirot, except the one just written.
                              Thanks GUT; it will be interesting trying to get used to someone else playing the part.

Stan Reid

Comment

Thanks GUT; it will be interesting trying to get used to someone else playing the part.
                                Hopefully he will do more than copy Suchet.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X