Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local killer for local people................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Originally posted by miss marple
    The idea that such a type would roam the East End flaunting gold jewellery is crazy.
    Anyway, you were correct in saying that it was off-topic, I'll give you that.
    I've taken this across to the "Hutchinson's Statement" thread, where this particular topic more comfortably belongs.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I suppose that the only disadvantage to being a 'local guy' is that he would have suffered a greater risk of being recognised by someone. On the whole though I'd say local man or a regular visitor (for work eg)

Regards

Herlock
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        I suppose that the only disadvantage to being a 'local guy' is that he would have suffered a greater risk of being recognised by someone. On the whole though I'd say local man or a regular visitor (for work eg)

Regards

Herlock
        Seeing no-one suspicious can often include no-one that isn't normally around here every day. Suspicion being more often attached to strangers than locals.
        Personally I favor the local culprit, he is more able to fly under the radar than someone who is not recognised by anyone.

There's something to be said for those who can 'Hyde' in plain sight.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Seeing no-one suspicious can often include no-one that isn't normally around here every day. Suspicion being more often attached to strangers than locals.
          Personally I favor the local culprit, he is more able to fly under the radar than someone who is not recognised by anyone.

There's something to be said for those who can 'Hyde' in plain sight.

I agree and taking this topic one stage further if I may..............

I have started another thread under the suspect David COHEN, which I believe incorporates this topic and how perhaps he could be dismissed as a possible suspect, I would very much like to hear peoples views on it..................

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            That was a dubious, and almost certainly bogus, story peddled by Major Henry Smith in his self-aggrandising memoirs From Constable to Commissioner.
            Fair enough Sam...I didn't know the original source, its on a Youtube video,
            Always happy to be educated

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
              Still comfortable killing in the area as it became flooded with policemen after the second or third murder? I have my doubts. I think a perp with the ability to travel any meaningful distance at all would probably have done so. I cannot say with absolute certaintly but to me everything suggests a local. A local who couldn't travel far due to financial restraints or commitments. I think his victims also suggest this. His victims were the lowest of the low and no money was found on their person. These were the best prostitutes he could attract or afford imo.
              Similar logic applies to a local killer. Increased police presence on his own doorstep might compel him to go further afield.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                Similar logic applies to a local killer. Increased police presence on his own doorstep might compel him to go further afield.
                But he evidently didn't. Interestingly, though, there did seem to be longer gaps between successful murders, which might suggest that he was exercising some caution due to "local pressure" being brought to bear. Granted, our sample size is probably too small to draw any firm conclusions, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

The series of those crimes had stopped because:

- He was a local, and it became so hot and dangerous to carry on more, he must have noticed some suspecions started to focus around him, and you can notice that he even killed indoor at some point at the end.

- There was no other similar crimes outside Whitechapel, if he was from outside, he could have easily chosen other places to practice his MO.

A side note: you can forget about Bury, he was an innocent man, Mckenzie had been killed after he was hanged, and he confissed to his guilt, that man has nothing to do with such crimes, whos author had managed to keep himself away from the police eyes for more than 128 years.

Rainbow°
                  Last edited by Rainbow; 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
                    The series of those crimes had stopped because:

- He was a local, and it became so hot and dangerous to carry on more, he must have noticed some suspecions started to focus around him, and you can notice that he even killed indoor at some point at the end.

- There was no other similar crimes outside Whitechapel, if he was from outside, he could have easily chosen other places to practice his MO.

Rainbow°
                    Suicide?
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Suicide is only in Cinema and Movies, when the writer just don't know how to end his drama, this man loved his work, he enjoyed it and enjoyed fooling the police and not being caught , he even challenged them two times in one night... and had time to write on the wall , not a man of complex of guilt...

He hated prostitutes in his place, not a man who was married to one of them ( that is if Elen was even a prositute )

Rainbow°

Comment

Ah, "he loved his work", likely because he told us so in a letter, right?
                        He also had time "to write on a wall", and "he hated prostitutes", great, it sounds like you know all there is to know about this case.

At last, someone who knows what they are talking about.....
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Yes, but even local people moved around...

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                          All the victims were killed in a relatively small area. It is suspected that the killer was from the area or knew the area well. I'm curious to know out of all the suspects put forward how many of them where actually known to live in this area.
                          I think a local killer makes sense, but we know, from looking at census records, that people moved around frequently, depending upon their circumstances changing (employment to joblessness, health to illness, married state to widowhood, etc.) Certainly people with the means would try to move out of the worst streets as soon as they could. So Jack might have started out local, then moved away, then returned to do his "work."

I also think that the area was over-populated with people who came from all over (other parts of England, Europe, even more distant countries), and that being crowded all together into doss houses, lodging houses, shabby rentals, and other multi-family shelters would lead to a sort of "crowd-blindness" in which people didn't pay as much attention to others as they would in a small town or village. This helps answer my questions was to whether everyone really didn't see or hear anything on the murder nights.

By the way, after watching the last two episodes of the documentary series "Victorian Slumhouse", I have nothing but respect for any Londoner with roots in the East End. I have a much better idea of the harsh living conditions and history of the slums now.
                          Last edited by Pcdunn; 06-18-2017, 05:54 PM. Reason: Word left out added for clarity
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Six pages and I'm the first person to cite the fact that Eddowes's killer appears to have fled into Whitechapel? Most compelling argument for a local IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                              Six pages and I'm the first person to cite the fact that Eddowes's killer appears to have fled into Whitechapel? Most compelling argument for a local IMO...
                              Agreed, this seemingly overlooked fact is certainly a compelling argument if not proof of his "localness".

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                                Why would the killer wherever there from not flee into a heavily populated area?

Comment

Working...
                                X