Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (68 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (11 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Rip Don Souden - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 08-18-2017, 04:56 AM
Commisioner

[quote=Elamarna;426125]

Quote:
I mean any official report which suggest that Mizen's superior officers or even the coroner was convinced his account was accurate.
What do you think the reason is for a lack of sources for the police and the coroner being convinced that Cross saw a policeman at the murder site and reported it to PC Mizen?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:10 AM
Assistant Commissioner

[quote=Pierre;426126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post

What do you think the reason is for a lack of sources for the police and the coroner being convinced that Cross saw a policeman at the murder site and reported it to PC Mizen?

Pierre,

I have just given the same answer I am about to give on the "leaving beat thread. "

I assume an investigation was carried out after the inquest appearances of both Lechmere and Mizen on 3rd. One can only concluded this lead them to a conclusion that Mizen's statement was not accurate.

If they did not reach that conclusion then the absence of Mizen's account from later reports, and the inclusion of a difference version of event's is a little baffling.

Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Commisioner

[quote=Elamarna;426132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Pierre,

I have just given the same answer I am about to give on the "leaving beat thread. "

I assume an investigation was carried out after the inquest appearances of both Lechmere and Mizen on 3rd. One can only concluded this lead them to a conclusion that Mizen's statement was not accurate.

If they did not reach that conclusion then the absence of Mizen's account from later reports, and the inclusion of a difference version of event's is a little baffling.

Steve
Of course they reached that conclusion. None of their PC:s had asked for assistance in Buck´s Row. Because none of them was there and asked Cross for help.

So why did Mizen say that Cross told him there was a police constable in Buck´s Row who had done this?

And how could Mizen believe that one of the PC:s did that, knowing they had not done that?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 AM
Assistant Commissioner

[quote=Pierre;426136]
Quote:

Of course they reached that conclusion. None of their PC:s had asked for assistance in Buck´s Row. Because none of them was there and asked Cross for help.

So why did Mizen say that Cross told him there was a police constable in Buck´s Row who had done this?

And how could Mizen believe that one of the PC:s did that, knowing they had not done that?
Mizen did not believe it. He knew it to be false.
I did not say he believed it rather he presented a picture in which his actions could be intrepted as a misunderstanding and of him beleiving Lechmere had told him this; when he had not.

Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Commisioner

[quote=Elamarna;426146][quote=Pierre;426136]

Quote:
Mizen did not believe it. He knew it to be false.
So Mizen knew that none of the other PC:s was the one reported to him by Cross. Why did he then believe that there was another PC in Buck´s Row?

Quote:
I did not say he believed it rather he presented a picture in which his actions could be intrepted as a misunderstanding and of him beleiving Lechmere had told him this; when he had not.
The validity in this statement seems low. "A picture" "rather" and "could be misinterpreted" "of him believing Lechmere had told him this". ?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 AM
Assistant Commissioner

[quote=Pierre;426151][quote=Elamarna;426146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

So Mizen knew that none of the other PC:s was the one reported to him by Cross. Why did he then believe that there was another PC in Buck´s Row?

He didn't.

The validity in this statement seems low. "A picture" "rather" and "could be misinterpreted" "of him believing Lechmere had told him this". ?
Not at all.
My hypothesis is In part:
He told a lie, one which would be hard if not impossible to disprove.
By telling this lie he avoided other questions being asked.

Let me assure you when you see the whole hypothesis the reasoning for the lie will be very clear.

Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 AM
Commisioner

[quote=Elamarna;426157][quote=Pierre;426151]
Quote:

Not at all.
My hypothesis is In part:
He told a lie, one which would be hard if not impossible to disprove.
By telling this lie he avoided other questions being asked.

Let me assure you when you see the whole hypothesis the reasoning for the lie will be very clear.

Steve
OK!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Chief Inspector

One question I ask is this,when did Mizen inform his superiors of his encounter with Cross and Paul.I know when he should have done,it is mentioned in the police code.Does it matter?I think so.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Sergeant

presumably his story saw the light of day after the first inquest, harry. or else... why wasn't pc mizen appearing before coroner baxter at the first inquest?

if coroner baxter had known about his story before the first inquest, i blv he would have called pc mizen, considering this entire encounter happened within five minutes of pc neil discovering polly nicholl's body.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:31 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
presumably his story saw the light of day after the first inquest, harry. or else... why wasn't pc mizen appearing before coroner baxter at the first inquest?

if coroner baxter had known about his story before the first inquest, i blv he would have called pc mizen, considering this entire encounter happened within five minutes of pc neil discovering polly nicholl's body.
Harry and Robert

Good questions.

There are no sources which say this story was known before Monday 3rd, when Mizen gave his evidence. Has Pierre rightly pointed out absence of evidence is not evidence.

However if he had told his story before Neil gave his testimony on the 1st one would not expect Neil to be claiming he discovered the body.
There are newspaper reports from the 3rd ( Times & Daily News) which clearly say that on the 2nd Neil is denying that two others found the body first. Some claim this shows the Mizen story was not known on the evening of the 2nd; but there is nothing to show the timing of this. It is however likely that Neil is responding to the article in Lloyds Weekly of that morning.

It suggests that Mizen had not given his story, or at least Neil did not know it, at the time the report appearing on the 3rd was written.

Steve