Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 3 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - by tji 7 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 11 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 30 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 31 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Mike J. G. 34 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (34 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (24 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (7 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (6 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Ripper Anatomy Class - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Orsam omnia revelat
Indeed. Every time it appears. A formidable opponent I'm beginning to have respect for Mr Orsam. And I'm not being sarcastic here.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Mmmm is that the same Jason that is 100% convinced Mike and Anne were in the room when the diary was written????

Yes, we've already deduced PM isn't the most reliable of informants...

he's just someone who 'MET' mike...apparently.

Dave wants to chat to these people to trash their opinions... its a means to an end for him.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:43 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Mmmm is that the same Jason that is 100% convinced Mike and Anne were in the room when the diary was written????
Yes, and he is the same person who also said this:

"Mr Barrett has told lots of far fetched stories about the diary to me and lots of other people over the years.He told me lots of different stories all revolving round him been this master forger the one thing that he always said was all he wanted was to raise a few hundred quid to buy a decent greenhouse he never expected this to become so big." (22 Jan 2014)

and this:

"Just to let you know speaking to Mr Barrett will get you no where fast he is a loon because of this diarys value nobodys going to admit stealing it and nobody's going to admit forging it apart from Mr Barrett depending on which moods he's in.Please don't waste you time and money on this when I first met Mr Barrett I was excited and over the moon that I could solve this mystery then you get to talk to Mr Barrett and its oh dear oh dear." (15 Dec 2013)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:47 AM

I just think it very cute how the naysayers are now back on the MIke barret as the hoaxer bandwagon...clambering on for dear life.

Great timing, now the chance to do some 'real' detective work is no longer possible..
Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
I just think it very cute how the naysayers are now back on the MIke barret as the hoaxer bandwagon...clambering on for dear life.

Great timing, now the chance to do some 'real' detective work is no longer possible..
Erm, Kaz, do you think you have a warped view of the world?

Yesterday at #298 you singled me out for some reason to invite me to communicate with pinkmoon, falsely representing to me what he had said about the Diary. I demonstrated, with a number of his posted comments, why speaking to him would be pointless.

Now, for just answering back, I have become a "naysayer" back on the Mike Barrett "hoaxer bandwagon" who is "clambering on for real life" (and i think you might mean "dear life").

While I appreciate that you must be frustrated that your little pinkmoon bait didn't work - and was, in fact, a fiasco - there's no need to take it out on me.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post

While I appreciate that you must be frustrated that your little pinkmoon bait didn't work - and was, in fact, a fiasco - there's no need to take it out on me.

I didn't raise his name to bait you.

Just looked in my inbox and found his claim to have 'met' mike in person, this pm was from 4+ years ago.

you don't believe a word he says. so move on.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:49 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
In your original post you used the singular, "the counting rhyme". I thought you were referring to the "Eight Little Whores" rhyme. And no, I'm not that ignorant to believe in a million years that McCormick invented counting rhymes.
Yes, I meant 'the counting rhyme' as a genre of poetry or song, Observer. Apologies for not making that clearer.

I'm really pleased to see that you didn't actually believe McCormick was the first to come up with the idea. A hoaxer would have had no trouble coming up with their own version independently and at any time from 1889 onwards.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 08-17-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Now, for just answering back, I have become a "naysayer" back on the Mike Barrett "hoaxer bandwagon" who is "clambering on for real life" (and i think you might mean "dear life").

Erm, David, you have a warped view of what I said...

I SAID "dear life". it was you who said "real life".
Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Everyone seems to ignore it but Melvin Harris has set out, very convincingly in my view, the sources the forger used in his article "The Maybrick Hoax: A Guide Through the Labyrinth". He identifies Peter Underwood's 1987 book "Jack the Ripper " as a key source. What does Underwood say about the farthings?

Harris tells us:

Und p9.. lists: "...two brass rings (presumably wrenched from the victims fingers) .. .a couple of farthings.. .two medicinal pills..."
Did Melvin include the reliable source the hoaxer used for Michael Maybrick writing lyrics as well as music?

Did he include the less reliable source for the Grand National info?

Did he include the unreliable source for Kelly's breasts being on the table, and also the reliable source for one of them being by her foot?

Did he include the source of the Crashaw quote?

That's at least five books so far, if all these sources were different.

If Melvin really did know the sources the hoaxer used - every last one of them - it strikes me he must be the prime suspect.

If he didn't really know how many sources were used, or which ones, and underestimated the number, he is off the hook and was only human after all. But then his expertise on the subject would be in question, wouldn't it?

Is there an alternative?

Love,

Caz
X

Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
As I posted on another thread, one of the false facts that has been mentioned in connection with the diary is that a forger could not have known that Maybrick wrote lyrics. But this information was contained in Nigel Moreland's 1957 book (i.e. page 7 refers to "the strong religious and moral nature of his lyrics").
My posts are always worth repeating.