Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (68 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (11 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Rip Don Souden - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
The estimates need not be wrong, I think; if he knew that he covered a stretch in four minutes of normal walking, then he could easily say that it was no more than four minutes if he knew that he had hurried.

Just as you say, we are left with guesswork, though.
Christer to play devils advocate on the estimation, it's of course true that it includes from the time he saw the body. So that's the verbal exchange with Lechmere and looking at the body plus the walking.
I just think that no more than 4 minutes is too pricise for that.
Having said that, the calculations I have been doing on timings and distance suggest his guess is fairly close to what was possible.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Christer to play devils advocate on the estimation, it's of course true that it includes from the time he saw the body. So that's the verbal exchange with Lechmere and looking at the body plus the walking.
I just think that no more than 4 minutes is too pricise for that.
Having said that, the calculations I have been doing on timings and distance suggest his guess is fairly close to what was possible.

Steve
I can easily see your problem, Steve. But I can just as easily see a solution that I think works. To me, "no more than four minutes" need not be too precise at all. If he had the stretch divided up in sections (the way I used to do it myself on my way to and from work), then he can gauge the approximate time. And albeit the information may sound too precise to your ears, it may be a question of him thinking "Hmm, that walk would take two minutes, I know that, and then we stood by the woman for no more than a minute...well, perhaps it was a minute and a half, but no more..." That would lead him to think three and a half minutes at most. And then he said "no more than four minutes", since he thought that would cover it at any rate.

So it need not be very precise per se - it may just as well be a weighting that allowed for a range of times, boxed in by what you think sounds precise.

Just a suggestion! And just like you, I think it sounds like four minutes tops is a fair weighing on Paulīs behalf.

Last edited by Fisherman : 03-27-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
I can easily see your problem, Steve. But I can just as easily see a solution that I think works. To me, "no more than four minutes" need not be too precise at all. If he had the stretch divided up in sections (the way I used to do it myself on my way to and from work), then he can gauge the approximate time. And albeit the information may sound too precise to your ears, it may be a question of him thinking "Hmm, that walk would take two minutes, I know that, and then we stood by the woman for no more than a minute...well, perhaps it was a minute and a half, but no more..." That would lead him to think three and a half minutes at most. And then he said "no more than four minutes", since he thought that would cover it at any rate.

So it need not be very precise per se - it may just as well be a weighting that allowed for a range of times, boxed in by what you think sounds precise.

Just a suggestion! And just like you, I think it sounds like four minutes tops is a fair weighing on Paulīs behalf.

Christer,

It might go slightly over 4, but probably no more than 5, all depends on how long the checking of Nichols took, some activities like that are hard to judge; that minute, minute and a half could just as easily be nearer two.

Steve
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Christer,

It might go slightly over 4, but probably no more than 5, all depends on how long the checking of Nichols took, some activities like that are hard to judge; that minute, minute and a half could just as easily be nearer two.

Steve
Not if Paul was on the money, it canīt...

Just kidding, Steve.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
If you are suggesting that the clocks did not strike in the earlier hours, it would be nice to see some evidence for that.
I wasn't suggesting this, I was doubting they did, but only on the basis that it must surely have been inconvenient to all the many residents of Whitechapel trying to get to sleep to have bells chiming through the night every 15 minutes. After 5am maybe but all through the night? Perhaps it was different in those days but I'd like to see some evidence of it before even thinking it might account for the witness timings in the Nichols murder, especially a witness timing in a newspaper article which contains known errors of fact and which contradicts the time given by the investigating detective in his report to the Assistant Commissioner.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
I wasn't suggesting this, I was doubting they did, but only on the basis that it must surely have been inconvenient to all the many residents of Whitechapel trying to get to sleep to have bells chiming through the night every 15 minutes. After 5am maybe but all through the night? Perhaps it was different in those days but I'd like to see some evidence of it before even thinking it might account for the witness timings in the Nichols murder, especially a witness timing in a newspaper article which contains known errors of fact and which contradicts the time given by the investigating detective in his report to the Assistant Commissioner.
Even Big Ben has always chimed the quarter hour, since itīs debut in the 1850:s. I fail to see that clocks were allowed to wake people up at 2.00, 2.30, 3.00. 3.30, but not at 2.15, 2.45, 3.45 etcetera. It would be an odd logic.

The probable solution to the question perhaps lies in how the chiming was not the same at all hours (or quarter hours) - in the Big Ben case, other chimes were used at the quarter strikes, and I suspect the same may be true for many clocks. It may have been a smaller, milder sound at the quarter strikes. But if you want evidence for how it worked, you will have to find it yourself, as I said.

People walked to work in these early hours too, so there was a practical need for time guidance.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Inspector

Quote:
I can't speak for Victorian Whitechapel but I'm pretty sure that some church and civic clocks sound the chimes day and night to this day, even though there's no need any more. A while ago a friend of mine lived near a church that did and whenever I stayed over the chimes would keep me awake, but being used to them she never noticed.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I fail to see that clocks were allowed to wake people up at 2.00, 2.30, 3.00. 3.30, but not at 2.15, 2.45, 3.45 etcetera. It would be an odd logic.
That wasn't my logic at all. I asked if public clocks were striking every 15 minutes throughout the night in Whitechapel. I've yet to see any evidence of it.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
That wasn't my logic at all. I asked if public clocks were striking every 15 minutes throughout the night in Whitechapel. I've yet to see any evidence of it.
Suit yourself, David. There īs a world of knowledge out there. Some of it may fit your logic.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Suit yourself, David. There īs a world of knowledge out there. Some of it may fit your logic.
What do you think of my logic that the body was most likely to have been discovered at about 3.40am, rather than 3.45am, because that's what Inspector Abberline put in his report?