Ripper medals on Ebay............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper medals on Ebay............

1887/97 Jubilee medal to PC W SAUNDERY T Division and his 1911 Coronation medal sold as separate lots sold on Ebay yesterday.

His 1887/97 medal went for £310 and interestingly his 1911 for only £45.

William SAUNDERY - warrant number 72333 joined 28.02.1887 T Division. 1887 medal to T Division. 1897 Y Division. 1902 medal to Y Division. 1911 medal ? Y Division. Retired 04.03.1912 Y Division.

T621 to H471 PC 72933 [3rd Class] William H. Saundery 31st October 1888.

£310 is perhaps more than I'd have paid for the 87/97 medal, but it just goes to show that medals don't have to be named to H Division have a "Ripper" connection or command a premium. £45 for his 1911 medal was a bargain for someone!! Could kick myself for missing that one

Wouldn't 1887 & 1897 be two different Jubilee Medals, 1887 being Golden and 1897 Diamond?
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I could have sworn I recently read something by Monty about medals - something about if they got the 87 medal, they only got a clasp for 97. But if they missed the 87, they got a medal for 97. I cannot remember it with crystal clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        I could have sworn I recently read something by Monty about medals - something about if they got the 87 medal, they only got a clasp for 97. But if they missed the 87, they got a medal for 97. I cannot remember it with crystal clarity.
        That's bob on Robin.

Comment

Bobbies of the period would have only got one of these examples, with the 1897 bar being added to to the 1887 medal in 1897.
          Attached Files

Comment

The easiest way of telling the two medals apart, is by viewing the reverse (note the dates).
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if the criterion was the same then as now but, in the modern era, you have to have completed 6 years of service to qualify. I served 1974 to 2004, which included the 1977 (Silver) and 2002 (Golden) Jubilee years, but I was too young in service to get the Silver.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

The saddest thing of all is that they are for sale.

Which means either the family are selling them, or have sold them previously.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                  I don't know if the criterion was the same then as now but, in the modern era, you have to have completed 6 years of service to qualify. I served 1974 to 2004, which included the 1977 (Silver) and 2002 (Golden) Jubilee years, but I was too young in service to get the Silver.
                  My understanding is that then, you only had to be serving on the dates in question. No length of service was required.

Going off topic slightly, I believe that the criteria for the 1977 Silver Jubilee was different than the subsequent ones. Very few Silver Jubilee medals were issued and they usually only went to senior officers, so as a constable you would have been really very lucky to have been awarded one.

Comment

Working...
                  X