Alfred Packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Packer

Did the famed cannibal, Alfred Packer, really murder and partially devour five of his companions in the winter of 1873?
    After various explanations of the violent events, Packer was found guilty of five counts of manslaughter; but it was the accused man's revelations about flesh eating that earned lasting notoriety.
    Some elements suggest Packers guilt: He was an unreliable witness, offering various accounts of the violent events
    He was in possession of money and items belonging to the victims, whilst maintaining that one on of the party, a man named Bell, had committed the murders as he (Packer ) foraged for food. Packer claimed to have killed Bell in self defence soon after returning to campsite.
    In Packers defence, no forensic evidence was offered at the trials. Various conflicting accounts of the murder site were in circulation by witnesses with no scientific/medical training.
    I Believe that Packer was guilty of the men's murder, but did any acts of cannibalism actually occur ?
    I suspect not. Cannibalism is not actually a criminal offence, but murder is.
    I believe Packer tried to draw attention away from the murders charges with his outlandish tale.
    Somebody who can devour human flesh is probably insane is a popular conception; I believe the MacNaughton rule was upheld at this time in law.
    Last edited by Scorpio; 09-30-2016, 09:39 AM. Reason: Added Content
    SCORPIO

Properly "Alferd" Packer

Ooh, one of the better mysteries here in the Colorado Rockies.

Born in PA in 1842, Packer suffered with epilepsy, and tried unsuccessfully to serve in the Union Army during the Civil War, but was honorably discharged due to his condition.

He went West after the war, eventually falling in with a band of prospectors who left Utah in late 1873 and headed into the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. By January of 1874, they had made little progress, due to a very bad winter. Sheltered by Ute Indians, who advised them to wait for spring, Packer and five others decided to chance it and head on in search of gold...

Given that Packer was supposedly a model citizen following his release from prison, I doubt that he was mad-- but there were definitely signs of violence on the bones of the other men...
    Last edited by Pcdunn; 09-30-2016, 11:46 AM. Reason: adding info
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

I wonder if the bones have been examined by modern hands.
      I havent found much info.
      Thanks for the links.
      SCORPIO

Comment

The University of Colorado Boulder named the grill in their cafeteria after him,
        The Alferd Packer Restaurant and Grill. Its been open since the 1960s. The original slogan was, "Have a friend for lunch!"

Here's a link to the site and menu.

Comment

Working...
        X