Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman and his connection to Whitechapel

Ladies/Gents,

Please forgive my ignorance on Chapman (my interest in the Whitechapel murders, tends to look beyond the multitude of suspects).

So here goes, just how much of a connection did Chapman have to Whitechapel, I'm aware of the White Hart pub.

It is well documented that Godley arrested him, but is it known exactly where this arrest took place?

Did any of the victims die in whitechapel?

I believe he was working at a barber shop in Cable Street at the time of the Ripper murders, which is just outside of Whitechapel but only a short walk SE of Berner Street. He subsequently worked in another barber shop in Whitechapel itself, if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      I believe he was working at a barber shop in Cable Street at the time of the Ripper murders, which is just outside of Whitechapel but only a short walk SE of Berner Street. He subsequently worked in another barber shop in Whitechapel itself, if I recall.

Many thanks Josh.

Comment

According to the Old Bailey records of Chapman's trial, he was arrested:

"at the Crown public house"

source: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-318#highlight

I am unable to confirm the exact location of this public house. If anyone knows, that would be awesome.

As for victim locations, this map shows the locations of all the victims when they were found. They are all fairly close to one another, and Whitechapel is central, but only two of the Canonical 5 were found in "Whitechapel proper". Chapman and Kelly were in Spitalfields, the parish immediately north of Whitechapel. Eddowes was in Mitre Square, which is technically in the City of London. Nichols and Stride were in Whitechapel proper.

Comment

Originally posted by kookingpot View Post
          According to the Old Bailey records of Chapman's trial, he was arrested:

"at the Crown public house"

source: http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-318#highlight

I am unable to confirm the exact location of this public house. If anyone knows, that would be awesome.

As for victim locations, this map shows the locations of all the victims when they were found. They are all fairly close to one another, and Whitechapel is central, but only two of the Canonical 5 were found in "Whitechapel proper". Chapman and Kelly were in Spitalfields, the parish immediately north of Whitechapel. Eddowes was in Mitre Square, which is technically in the City of London. Nichols and Stride were in Whitechapel proper.

Thanks kookingpot!!

If someone could confirm where the Crown (was/is) that would be great.

Also if I could clarify, with regards to the "victims", I meant Chapman's vicitms not Jack`s so for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
            Also if I could clarify, with regards to the "victims", I meant Chapman's vicitms not Jack`s so for the confusion.
            Sorry about that.

I did find the location of the arrest, and it's linked to the final one of Chapman/Klosowski's murders.

I did a little research, and you may find Emsley, J. (2005). The elements of murder. Oxford: Oxford University Press. to be a useful resource on some of this. You can read it online via Google Books here. It states that Chapman's first victim, Mary Spink, died at Chapman's beer house in Bartholomew Square, Finsbury, London. His second victim, Bessie Taylor was poisoned at another of Chapman's numerous pubs, the Monument in Union Street, Southwark. His final victim, Maud, was poisoned at the location he was arrested, The Crown, located according to my above-mentioned source at 213 High St, Borough (p. 251). I'm not sure where "Borough" is, whether it's a subdivision of London or a town in its own right. Late 19th and Early 20th century British geography is not my strong suit.

If anyone knows where that address leads to, that would be great.

Comment

I believe Borough is referring to what is now known as Borough High Street, which is part of London.

Comment

Thanks again Kooking pot, that really interesting stuff!!!!!!!!!

My curiosity into the Chapman `murders` has certainly been kindled, I need to read up on it. The book that comes up on all my searches is "Jack at last", has anyone read it? Before I part with my hard earned cash, is it about Chapman's life and the subsequent murder of his `wives` and the trail, etc or is it Chapman as another ripper suspect or indeed a mixture of them both?

Comment

Try Helena's book the 1st 10 or so pages are available here for free.
                  Last edited by GUT; 01-05-2016, 02:01 AM.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hello PC 2267

I'm the author of "Jack the Ripper at Last?" and have recently spent the best part of four years researching Chapman's life in as much detail as possible.

I can confirm that he was living in the Whitechapel area throughout the Ripper murders.

He later lived in Borough, a part of the London Borough of Southwark, where he was arrested at his pub, the Crown. Hence, he was known as the Borough Poisoner or the Southwark Poisoner.

If you follow the link below you can find out more.

The first eleven pages of the old edition can be read here for free. https://www.academia.edu/10459016/Ja...Ripper_At_Last

I am rewriting a new edition, having found out his family background.

Regards

Helena
                    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 01-05-2016, 05:30 AM.
                    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                      Hello PC 2267

I'm the author of "Jack the Ripper at Last?" and have recently spent the best part of four years researching Chapman's life in as much detail as possible.

I can confirm that he was living in the Whitechapel area throughout the Ripper murders.

He later lived in Borough, a part of the London Borough of Southwark, where he was arrested at his pub, the Crown. Hence, he was known as the Borough Poisoner or the Southwark Poisoner.

The first eleven pages of the old edition can be read here for free. https://www.academia.edu/10459016/Ja...Ripper_At_Last

Regards

Helena
                      Great to hear there's more to come Helena
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Great to hear there's more to come Helena
                        Yeah - I got lucky! Polish records went online. I now know all about his family background and where he lived throughout his childhood.

I also found a lot of info about the mysterious "Petrickowski", who translated the foreign documents Klosowski brought from Poland.

Fascinating stuff!

Helena
                        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Helena

great to hear you are working on an update, I found the first edition a very interesting book indeed.

Steve

Hello PC 2267

Regards

Helena

Comment

Yeah - I got lucky! Polish records went online. I now know all about his family background and where he lived throughout his childhood.

I also found a lot of info about the mysterious "Petrickowski", who translated the foreign documents Klosowski brought from Poland.

Fascinating stuff!

Helena

No secret I thought the 1st was great, so I guess I'll be lining up to go around again.
                            G U T

Comment

Hello PC 2267

Regards

Helena
                              Ever since I started reading about the Ripper I have considered Chapman a terrible suspect and now we have a book which pretty much confirms this which to me is a double edged sword. On the one hand its the definitive book on Chapman but on the other Chapman's a terrible suspect anyway so why buy it? Sorry if this upsets the writer or anyone else for that matter but that's my opinion on Chapman and Jack the Ripper at Last.

Comment

Working...
                              X