Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 5 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 21 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - by MrBarnett 4 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - by miss marple 5 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 6 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Fisherman 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (25 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (11 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Was Whitechapel really any worse than other areas of London? - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: Melvin Harris and his Examination of the Diary - (3 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 05-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Cadet

Default New Thoughts On The “diary”

I want to weigh in as a “newbie” (although I did have a membership here many years ago) on the diary issue. I’ve been confounded and perplexed by this manuscript for years. My strong impression is that it’s a modern hoax; mainly because, though I’m no historian, I’ve read a lot of Victorian literature, and there are just too many phony-sounding, pseudo-Victorian word usages and phrasing. Of course, the several anachronisms only reinforce this impression.

And yet, parts of the “diary” have a quality of raw authenticity—namely, the passages dealing with the wife’s infidelity, Maybrick’s resultant rage, his obsessiveness and violence, and the many casual mentions of his family affairs/issues, etc.

The “ripper” sections, however, read as forced and phony. I was especially unimpressed by the way the writer clumsily tried to shoe-horn passages or references from alleged Ripper letters into the diary—very awkward.

This leads me to suspect that the electricians working on the Maybrick home may have found something—letters, scribblings, or bits of a journal in Maybrick’s hand. Whoever discovered these might have tried to sell them—and maybe the buyer thought that since the guy seemed creepy and violent anyway, he might be fitted out/marketed as a possible Ripper candidate. The Maybrick material could have been incorporated into another, forged document, with Ripper-like musings and (clumsy, inaccurate) references to the murders.

This would explain the confused provenance of the diary—some of it was found in Maybrick’s home, some of it was forged—probably by Anne.

I do think the Diary was put in final form by person(s) who were technically proficient in crafting forgeries, and perhaps had been involved with previous historical-type hoaxes.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Cadet

I think the earliest date is 9th March '92 for the "discovery" at Battlecrease, and 13th April for first being seen by any other person.

Barrett searched for a blank diary during this time, apparently to compare to the Maybrick one for authenticity.

So 4 or 5 weeks to realise the whole thing from start to finish, seems a bit tight.

However your idea is workable sure.

Barrett phoned the publishing agent on the same day (9th March), so the idea must have formulated very quickly.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Chief Inspector

This is an interesting idea, ElizaB. I agree that there are very emotional passages in the diary that seem to have been written by an agitated Victorian man. I'm also struck by the passages where he drafts-- and redrafts-- his odd little rhymes of doggerel. It seems true, somehow.

The tight timeline is necessary only if we are determined to connect the diary (or the original written material around which the forgery is written) to Maybrick. It could have arrived earlier, from any source, thus giving more time to compose the "diary of Jack the Ripper."

However, I think the errors of modern usage and mistakes in the facts of the case are understandable, given a apparent rush job.

I think the guard book / photo album belonged to Anne (or her family), and was drafted into usage as the book for the diary, once the purchased Victorian diary turned out to be too small. I think the whole story about the visit to the auction is fiction, frankly.
---------------
Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Cadet

What if the diary really was found in March at battlecrease, but was purely Maybricks own personal journal.

Not being able to find an appropriate replacement, the original material is removed, then incorporated into the Ripper material in the empty section of the book.

So we still have the Maybrick/Battlecrease provenence, but still a forgery.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Chief Inspector

peg&pie, ah, I see what you're saying... Yes, that is possible, too. They could have copied the crazy writing that seems more genuine, and made up the rest to surround it.
---------------