Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    Is it a bit like Edinburgh Rock then?
    No - Edinburgh rock (I think) is just like your typical Blackpool rock (red on the outside, white on the inside).

I'm sensing we're slightly off thread here, mind.

However - I watched the recent 'Brighton Rock' film last week. And Jack has got us between a rock and a hard place.
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• I have been accessing the Casebook for probably around ten years - I know others have been doing so for twenty or more. For 127 years we have been debating the Whitechapel murders, and yet we seem no nearer solving the case than ever we were and - as each year passes - we presumably get further and further away from the possibility of a solution. Will the Casebook still be running in the year 2100, 2200, 2300, etc., and will the gnerations which follow us debate endlessly without a candidate ever being confirmed as Saucy Jack?

That's a slightly depressing thought, eased only for me personally by the deep conviction that the crimes were solved the moment the Maybrick journal saw the light of a very public day. But it makes you wonder why we do it - pursue a now ancient case which has so little hope of ever being formally solved.

Which leads me to a straw poll - just an anecdotal straw poll (not least because I have no idea how to create those clever polls you see from time to time on some threads).

Why do you read/post to the Casebook, and/or why are you so interested in the case of Jack the Ripper?

A) I genuinely care only about solving the mystery - it fascinates me and I desperately want to know whodunnit; but deep down I do not believe that the mystery can ever be solved conclusively.
      B) I genuinely care only about solving the mystery - it fascinates me and I desperately want to know whodunnit; and I genuinely believe that the mystery can be solved conclusively eventually.
      C) I'm intrigued by the case and I enjoy the discussion as much as I would gain satisfaction from an answer.
      D) I have some other reason. [If so, let us know what that reason is, please.]

It's August Bank Holiday, everyone, and it's wet and miserable. Seems like an appropriate place to start the discussion!

Best wishes,

Iconoclast
      Iconoclast

Comment

• I've been fascinated by Jack since I was a young teenager many decades ago. For me it would be a mix of A and C. I love the discussions on Casebook even when I disagree with some of the theories. Unfortunately, at this distance in time I don't believe we will come to a consensus as to the Ripper's identity. They couldn't nab JTR when he was alive and he's proved even more elusive in the 127 years since!

Comment

• A and C for me, also. It's fascinating on its own, but much evidence is missing, the newspaper reports sometimes are confusing, and recent suspect "theories" are just that, because they rely on speculation and "might have been" too much.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• This jury member says NOT GUILTY.

I can't actually admit or dismiss the Diary as original, what I suspect is that most likely was written final XIX century but I doubt that James was the author neither he wrote any Ripper letter at all but should be important for any of James' relatives to point him as the famous killer maybe to cover up (if not enough covered) the real identity of the killer/s.
            Whoever the killer was, I bet Maybricks family know him.

As I am open minded besides the huge amount of info gathered through the years, I'm not really backing up any theory completely but, taking the hypothesis of Maybricks family involvement, I think Michael Maybrick could be more suitable to be a serial killer than any member of the saga.
            Finally, just wanted to make some remarks to your beautifully exposed theory:

1) Tough your many efforts to make it look more credible, the tricky game of using any letter in the graffito to compose or evoque the names of Maybricks family it's the best given example of that Elvis Toast you mentioned.
            I'm my opinion, the graffito along with the marks left on Eddowes' face, are the most clear evidence of the killer challenging his fremason colleagues. If the "FM" bloody writen on Mary Jane Kelly's wall is real (I'm still unable to see it no matter the zoom of the photo), is it just possible that FM meant "FreeMasons" instead of "Florence Maybrick" sending another defy to his colleagues?... just guessing.

2) And a remark out of discussion is that Diego is not the spanish translation of James, it's Jaime instead. And how come that I'm capable to say so? because I'm both spaniard and named Jaime and most of my folks use to call me James or Jimmy indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
              Which leads me to a straw poll - just an anecdotal straw poll (not least because I have no idea how to create those clever polls you see from time to time on some threads).

Why do you read/post to the Casebook, and/or why are you so interested in the case of Jack the Ripper?

A) I genuinely care only about solving the mystery - it fascinates me and I desperately want to know whodunnit; but deep down I do not believe that the mystery can ever be solved conclusively.
              B) I genuinely care only about solving the mystery - it fascinates me and I desperately want to know whodunnit; and I genuinely believe that the mystery can be solved conclusively eventually.
              C) I'm intrigued by the case and I enjoy the discussion as much as I would gain satisfaction from an answer.

It's August Bank Holiday, everyone, and it's wet and miserable. Seems like an appropriate place to start the discussion!

Best wishes,

Iconoclast
              I'll have A & C please, Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heissenberg View Post
                I think Michael Maybrick could be more suitable to be a serial killer than any member of the saga.
                What, are you kidding?

Comment

• Is it there any proven suspect you're about to give us? Since we're considering just Maybricks family in this thread, that's my proposal.
                  Don't really know Rippers identity, as you all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heissenberg View Post
                    2) And a remark out of discussion is that Diego is not the spanish translation of James, it's Jaime instead. And how come that I'm capable to say so? because I'm both spaniard and named Jaime and most of my folks use to call me James or Jimmy indeed.
                    Heissenberg,

I understand the principle you suggest, but sadly for your point there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes, if you're interested) and I personally bow down before the unquestioned genius of the great Soothsayer himself in Post #1021 of The Greatest Thread of All ('One Incontrovertible Fact ...') when he writes:

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                    I am reliably informed by my good friend Mr Google that 'Jaime' is a modern-day preference and that 'Diego' was the older translation.

I believe my scullery girl's Diego therefore trumps your Jaime.

Clearly, had the reverse been true, Maybrick would have signed his postcard to the Liverpool Echo JAIME LAURENTZ, GENUINE. The fact that he didn't unequivocally proves that my people - however humble their role - are cleverer than your people.
                    Whatever happened to Soothsayer and his scullery maid Daft Carol the cruton queen, by the way?

Ike
                    Iconoclast

Comment

Heissenberg,

I understand the principle you suggest, but sadly for your point there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes, if you're interested) and I personally bow down before the unquestioned genius of the great Soothsayer himself in Post #1021 of The Greatest Thread of All ('One Incontrovertible Fact ...') when he writes:

Whatever happened to Soothsayer and his scullery maid Daft Carol the cruton queen, by the way?

Ike
                      touché but still can't change my veredict. Anyway I really enjoyed reading your work!!

Comment

I have been accessing the Casebook for probably around ten years - I know others have been doing so for twenty or more. For 127 years we have been debating the Whitechapel murders, and yet we seem no nearer solving the case than ever we were and - as each year passes - we presumably get further and further away from the possibility of a solution. Will the Casebook still be running in the year 2100, 2200, 2300, etc., and will the gnerations which follow us debate endlessly without a candidate ever being confirmed as Saucy Jack?

That's a slightly depressing thought, eased only for me personally by the deep conviction that the crimes were solved the moment the Maybrick journal saw the light of a very public day. But it makes you wonder why we do it - pursue a now ancient case which has so little hope of ever being formally solved.

Best wishes,

Iconoclast
                        As with any subject, people have a vested interest. All manner of paranormal, mystery, legend, conspiracy, etc, will be debated until the cows come home, because people are interested in the mystery and the unknown. Not only that, but people make money doing this sort of thing, and thus a closed book is a possible end to a pay-day.

There'll never be a conclusive end to this debate, because people don't want a definitive end. It's human nature.

People believe what they choose to believe, regardless of fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
                          As with any subject, people have a vested interest. All manner of paranormal, mystery, legend, conspiracy, etc, will be debated until the cows come home, because people are interested in the mystery and the unknown. Not only that, but people make money doing this sort of thing, and thus a closed book is a possible end to a pay-day.

There'll never be a conclusive end to this debate, because people don't want a definitive end. It's human nature.

Honestly, New Boy, it's all been said before. But thanks for the insight and the added value.
                          Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post

Sure folk will want to sell books and make money Mike, I have no problem with that...I look for the reviews on here before I buy 'em now....didn't use to..
                            but some of the "No suspect" ones are great...they give you the facts laid out and don't shoot off into the realms of "What if"
                            I bought some of the more ridiculous ones to start with...but you honestly find most of the stuff you need on here.
                            As you slowly glean the facts, and make the odd post, some will ridicule you, some can be very supportive (As long as you agree with their particular "Suspect")
                            others will say "Find out for yourself"..Off you trot...
                            It leaves no bruises, its the internet, you accept it like that and it hardly matters whether you live 10 yds from Battlecrease...or you are tappin' out yer tat from the 10 Bells or Timbuctoo

Comment

• Originally posted by andy1867 View Post
                              Sure folk will want to sell books and make money Mike, I have no problem with that...I look for the reviews on here before I buy 'em now....didn't use to..
                              but some of the "No suspect" ones are great...they give you the facts laid out and don't shoot off into the realms of "What if"
                              I bought some of the more ridiculous ones to start with...but you honestly find most of the stuff you need on here.
                              As you slowly glean the facts, and make the odd post, some will ridicule you, some can be very supportive (As long as you agree with their particular "Suspect")
                              others will say "Find out for yourself"..Off you trot...
                              It leaves no bruises, its the internet, you accept it like that and it hardly matters whether you live 10 yds from Battlecrease...or you are tappin' out yer tat from the 10 Bells or Timbuctoo
                              Andy,

Best post I've read for ages on here (and I include my brilliant ones).

Ike
                              Iconoclast

Comment

Honestly, New Boy, it's all been said before. But thanks for the insight and the added value.
                                Could you please point me towards the post in question which discusses the fact that all of the details for James and Florence's argument, plus the National winners and fastest times, is found within a book published in 1969 by noted Ripper researcher, Richard Whittington-Egan?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X