Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE JACK THE RIPPER LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS : Dutfield's Yard and the Whitby Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE JACK THE RIPPER LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS : Dutfield's Yard and the Whitby Collection

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Ripper Cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	669742

Amberley Publishing, 2009, (ISBN 978-184868-784-4), 96 pages, RRP £12.99

My new book has just turned up via a courier - well over a month after it was due and missing the whole point for why it was written!

I'm very happy with the printing except for one thing - the whole book is in black & white greyscale. There's NO colour in it and the whole point was to have it done as a colour book, Amberley's self-selling point. I suspect they'll do nothing about it.

There are still some websites erroneously calling the book 'Jack the Ripper Murders from old photographs' which is nothing to do with me as, of course, the book has nothing to do with the actual murders.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Hi Philip, the cover looks great though....out just in time for Xmas!

Comment

Good luck with this release Philip, looking forward to reading it.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Hi, Philip.
        Your cover montage made me do a double-take; for a second I thought old Leather Apron had been caught in the act!

Congratulations; I look forward to reading it and to seeing the Whitby photographs.

Will your book be available from the U.S. Amazon? They are handily located in Seattle.
        If not it's OK; I understand that these days books both swim & fly.

Best regards, Archaic
        Last edited by Archaic; 11-30-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Exciting! But I may hold out a little longer until we get the final word on the colour issue...

B.
          Bailey
          Wellington, New Zealand
          hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
          www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Hello Philip,

Congratulations on your book being finally published. Pity about the lack of colour, but one doesn't really expect too much colour from 19th century - early 20th century photographs.

All the best,
            Eduardo
            Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
            Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Where can I purchase a copy?

Hello everyone.This book looks really good.How much is it and where can I purchase a copy?

Comment

Hello George

this book indeed looks facinating. George Im from america,any chance it is selling here??It looks to be very resorceful.

Good job on the book.

Corey Browning
                Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I found out something this morning, studying the famous photo of Berner Street from 1909.

The cartwheel we all assumed to be affixed to the wall of #40 isn't. It's actually attached to the wall of #42, projecting out over the pavement. It casts a shadow of its spokes on the gatepost and bottom right doorframe of #40.

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                    I found out something this morning, studying the famous photo of Berner Street from 1909.

The cartwheel we all assumed to be affixed to the wall of #40 isn't. It's actually attached to the wall of #42, projecting out over the pavement. It casts a shadow of its spokes on the gatepost and bottom right doorframe of #40.

PHILIP
                    Hi Philip,

Congrats on what I am sure will be a great addition to my and anyone's Ripper collections.

Funny you mentioned that photo....Ive been reading through a book I have called Uncovering Jack the Rippers London by Richard Jones, and saw that shot and I was struck by how narrow the entranceway seems to Dutfields Yard. Obviously you have to allow for the depth perception issues, but I was wondering do you know how wide that entranceway was originally?

Cheers mate and again Best Wishes for the book. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Hi George

Yes, it acted as a trade marker for the entrance to the yard which could be seen at the top of the street.

Comment

congratulations sir. I look forward to it! Dave
                        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hi Philip,

I received my copy today, and from what I've read so far you've done an excellent job. I'm just loving the colour photos.

Although there was probably no way round it, the Dutfield's Yard photo is spread over two pages so a slight part of it I can't see properly. Maybe I'll have to buy another copy to rip the pages out an stick 'em together.

Cheers,

Will
                          Take the chance, while you've still got the choice.

Comment

I have THE book and its fab!! Really enjoying it. Are you jealous??
                            Thank you for meeting me with a copy Phillip. Hope you enjoyed your concert and the rest of your time in York!
                            In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                              I have THE book and its fab!! Really enjoying it. Are you jealous??
                              Not at all Kate. Grrrrr!

Thanks for getting a copy signed for me, I'm really looking forward to receiving it, Royal Mail permitting.

Oh, and thanks to Philip too for signing it for me!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X