Police dismissal of 'Jill the Ripper'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police dismissal of 'Jill the Ripper'

I saw part of an interview with Stewart Evans where he said the police investigating the Whitechapel Murders in 1888 didn't believe the murderer to be a woman. There was no explanation as to why this was the case (at least not in the bit of the interview I saw).
    Does anyone know why the police were convinced they were looking for a man? What made them so sure 'Jack' couldn't possibly be 'Jill'?

Originally posted by Noodles143 View Post
    I saw part of an interview with Stewart Evans where he said the police investigating the Whitechapel Murders in 1888 didn't believe the murderer to be a woman. There was no explanation as to why this was the case (at least not in the bit of the interview I saw).
    Does anyone know why the police were convinced they were looking for a man? What made them so sure 'Jack' couldn't possibly be 'Jill'?
    Hello, Noodles, and welcome to Casebook.

I think it was because of the Victorian attitude towards women, as frail creatures with better morals than men. Even women who killed tended to be poisoners, not stranglers or stabbers.

However, the notion was considered, by Abberline, as this link to an article on Casebook will prove:

They felt no woman but a midwife might have managed the bloody mess left behind in Kelly's room. She would be able to walk the streets wearing a blood-stained apron, and blame it on her occupation, and attending a diffcult birthing.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Thank you. That's not a possibility I had considered but it makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely check out that link!

Comment

Plus most sadistic serial killers have been men. You just dont get female sexually motivated killers. The rare example is when couples kill, but that's mostly down the the males influence.

Comment

Working...
        X